Defensive Bonus from Fortifications - worth it?

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Defensive Bonus from Fortifications - worth it?

Postby The Mandalorian » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

So after playing a few games, I'm left to wonder about the the actual efficacy of the defensive bonus on terrain tiles and fortifications. To claim the bonus, you need to have your fortification attacked by an opposing force. But in most circumstances the AI will elect to lay siege, which all but forces your hand to attack at once or have your supply line cut. Is it worth spending tile points for improved defense in a hex to place your stronghold on? Since the AI is always going to lay siege, and you're almost always going to attack immediately, it seems fortification defensive bonuses are somewhat meaningless.

Is there a mechanic or angle I've missed?
The Mandalorian

Re: Defensive Bonus from Fortifications - worth it?

Postby potatoedoughnut » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:19 pm

The only time I find the defense useful is when you're attacked out in the open (ie terrain modifiers from mountains) or if you need an extra 1-2 turns to get your relief force to your base, since they will siege instead of assaulting (of course this only works if your base can stay in supply for the time it takes your relief force to arrive).

So in general I wouldn't spend tile points on it, but if you run across a free base with it it's not a bad thing.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby efelle » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm

I captured an independant outpost at three hex of the Fist's Stronghold (I played Mutants). The Fist's Marines attacked immediatly and I was happy of the two points defense bonus.
efelle

Postby muddball » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:13 am

Well, A) the computer benefits from it, so it does have uses. As you said, players usually attack first.

B) Rather then fixing the defensive bonus from it, i think their aught to be a fix of some sort for laying siege.
muddball

Postby Keypunch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am

As you said, players usually attack first.

You're misquoting the Mandalorian. He says 'when the computer lays siege, the players immediately attack'.

All I can say: it used to be much worse! It used to be that the sieging force would get the defensive bonus, if the player decided to counter-attack! Always awesome to siege someone on a mountain!

Now, the upside is that the defensive bonus makes one difference: initiative. Attacker gets +5 on initiative. Especially if you've got forces with shock ability, that will be an advantage.

In the end: the defensive tiles are not a boon, especially because there's an additional penalty; on tough terrain, you'll have a harder time disccovering stealthed enemy agents!
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby deworde » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:05 pm

I've always found that the computer attacks once the supply runs out. So in that case, this would mitigate the weakening of your units.
So, if you have no reinforcements arriving, you can sit in your bunker and keep developing your nuke. Even if they assault the defences, your units will be capable of putting up a fight against anything but the killerest of killer stacks.
deworde

Postby ker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:07 pm

But what’s the use of high defence when you can’t hit anything? :D
ker

Postby Indricotherium » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:29 am

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't do any research at a base that's being sieged.

Am I mistaken? I seem to remember that siege = total cutoff for those inside.
Indricotherium

Postby ker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:16 pm

AE manual wrote:Besieged bases cannot deploy heroes or units to their locations or be used as sources for supply or for determining range for air attacks. They are in effect completely cut off from the empire and must either break the siege themselves or be relieved.

Doesn’t say anything about developing tech but I’ve always thought that impossible too.
ker

Postby deworde » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 pm

ker wrote:But what’s the use of high defence when you can’t hit anything? :D

One word. Assault.
deworde

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics