Does anyone bother putting larva/thrall/vassals in the deck?

Got a killer deck? Post it here.

Does anyone bother putting larva/thrall/vassals in the deck?

Postby FABIO » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 am

They just don't seem worth the hassle of lowering your chance of drawing a good card as well as taking up space in your hand. Anyone found any use for including these cards in their deck?
FABIO

Re: Does anyone bother putting larva/thrall/vassals in the deck?

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:28 pm

I use a handful of larva in my Xeno deck as cheap garrison/scout units until I can get larger unit out or get an egg chamber pumping eggs.

Thralls and vassals I have never used though. I don't think I've ever even used standard infantry units in any of my decks.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Indricotherium » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Larva? Yes. Thralls and Vassals? No. And I do love using infantry units.
Indricotherium

Postby FABIO » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:09 am

Indricotherium wrote:Larva? Yes. Thralls and Vassals? No. And I do love using infantry units.

Yeah, I like the idea of shambling thrall/vassal hordes, but they're not worth it until you can send out 5 at once, and you can really only do that once you get the facility that cranks them out, and at point it's pointless to bother with the cards.
FABIO

Postby deworde » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 pm

Now with the Tip of the Spear, it's actually become a much more valid possibility to field the shamblers. A bit of Advanced Training (aka. Firmware Upgrades for the Thralls) and what you've got is a fast moving infantry force, that if it's in heavy terrain will hack down the enemy's defences with Fire and Maneuver. Add a single tank for some combined arms bonuses, and you've got a serious threat.
deworde

Postby Happy Corner » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 am

I love larva! Once you field the queen, there's a decent chance they'll hatch into some of the better Xenomorph types, and for much cheaper than actually paying for those monsters in the first place. Even before then, hatching into cannon fodder units isn't so bad either. I wouldn't think of making my Xenopod deck without as many larva as possible!

The vassals/thralls can stay out, though. I prefer more scouts so I can claim resources (and build Xenomorphs) earlier.

EDIT: Although with these new ToS rules (which I only recently updated to), I may have to rethink the last part of that strategy.
Happy Corner

Return to Deck Lists