Postby ZeroTheHero » Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Imperial 40 Card Deck
=====================

Supply Recon
========================
Imperial Recon x 3 (S5/R1 Stealth)

Deep Recon / Special Ops
========================
Imperial Rangers x 3 (CounterAttack/Stealth/Recce/Commando)
Valentine Kusanagi (Assassin/Saboteur)
Mata Boyd (Espionage/Saboteur/Demolitiionist)

Jump Squad
==========
Burwell Puller (Jumpmaster/Air Ranger)
Imperial Marines x 4

Army
====
Ulysses Starke (+1 atk/def, +1H, +2 Supply)
The Emperor's Own x 4

Vladimir Kost (Movement+2)
MoBV - VII Elephant x 4

Air
===
F-227 Nighting x 1 (Stealth)
JSF II x 1 (Precision Strike/AirtoAir)
RAH-76 Crow x 1 (Recce)
Forward Air Controller x 3

HQ
==
Hq - Supply Base
Cornelia West (Master Admin/ Efficiency Expert)
Vincent Mugde (Chief of Staff / Logistics Genius +2 Supply)
Hanibal Zarkov (Technologist/Geneticist)
Carlos Pendergast (Assassin/Tactician)

Intel Center x 1
War Academy x 1
Research Lab x 1

Imperial Fire Base x 3

This is my deck that has been undefeated (giving AI all bonuses 275 deck/ extra resources/ 15 Tiles) any sized map. But I believe it can be tweaked further. The purpose of the deck is to keep to 40 cards.

Supply recon does just that recce areas around HQ/Outposts and stealthed so that units are not lost. I never attempt a capture in the AI's movement as units will de-stealth. Purely sentry duty.

Deep Recon provide just that, deep recce. Assassins / Sabateurs follow close behind. All these are single Army Units (no use putting a stealth 7 hero with a stealth 4/5 unit).
Best use next/near base in mountain. Move out and back in for recce then send in assassin/saboteur/espionage for mission. Always use terrain to keep recce unit stealthed. Hardly ever in combat unless recce unit is found.
Great when large army found if no recce unit in then send in assassin. Again just move recce next to army then away to hills/mountain.

Jump Squad with range of 6! is used to cut off supply. kill retreating armie, but always when easy win. Then jump back to HQ. Never jump out of supply unless taking outpost.

Army is used for garrisoning hq and outposts taken with resources. I can leave (with care) other outposts un-guarded bait for Jump Squad or leave FAC in for strike.

Air - With FAC's are main defence / slow down advancing large stacks. FAC and Precision Strike is awesome. Also take out recce units.

Just one Hq with lab and academy for tactics/genetics/tech. Intel for protecting Staff.

Firebases to extend suppy / improve range for Air.

Tweaking
========
I have found that carlos just ends up creating tactic cards so will just replace him with Albert Feynman Edit:Oops Mai for Tactician.
What I want is to add the Scouts of the Empire as I end up killing more heroes than capturing, they also come with improving recce and range. But to add the two scouts who obviously will lead recon/rangers I need to replace two other cards.
Tough decision. I feel my armies need 4 units up front and 3 armies is about right. So not from there.
I also tend not to use espionage much so possibly take out Mata Boyd but the triple damage is useful and used often.
Helicopter is the least used unit but has come in handy, also it combines well with FAC. Its really left to heli/fac/firebase/Mata Boyd.

Any Suggestions?

Edit: I have gone for removing 1xFireBase and 1xHeli
ZeroTheHero

Re: Imperial 40 card deck 132 points.

Postby twentyeighth » Tue May 06, 2008 3:47 am

I like the deck. Lean and focused.

I agree with your removal of one firebase. I use no more than two since there are plenty of independent or enemy ones to capture.

I've actually moved away from passive espionage since my overuse of recce units provides most of the information that I seek, and I rarely use active espionage due to its liability. I've replaced that with an extra assassin or scout hero that can sit near HQ to deter enemy assassination attempts. (Seriously, this has been a real problem over my last few games.)

I rarely use saboteurs since my philosophy lies with capturing bases intact. I understand the idiom of destroying the enemy's ability to produce war, but I don't feel its effect in this game. (Can anyone offer another opinion?)

Keep the Helo, in my opinion. Its ability to recce helps my larger armies since I tend to not include units with similar function. It also sports nice damage.

Question: in what roles do you use Rangers?

FAC is probably my favorite unit, but I've gone down to two since I usually hold no more than two offensive fronts. Have you considered shaving off one of them?

I'm tinkering with a deck that excludes Elephants, Vengeances, and Marines. Perhaps even Tigers. So far it's heavy on Panthers and Imperial Guards with Cheetahs. I'll post once I have a functional build. EDIT: I'm leaning towards a far higher number of cards than the 45 of my Imperial Short Deck. I think its virtue will rest in depth rather than army or unit strength.

Thanks for sharing your deck.
twentyeighth

Postby ZeroTheHero » Tue May 06, 2008 11:15 am

"I rarely use saboteurs since my philosophy lies with capturing bases intact. I understand the idiom of destroying the enemy's ability to produce war, but I don't feel its effect in this game. (Can anyone offer another opinion?) "

Check out this for use of Saboteur viewtopic.php?f=7&t=212

Basically if the army in an Outpost is too big to defeat....just Saboteur the outpost....let the army crawl... destroy unsupplied army...or march on lightly defended HQ .... army can never get back in time ....it's a killer

"Question: in what roles do you use Rangers?"
These are deep recon. Destro recce units if found... But mainly recce...I have them in as single units in army and are my forward eyes...Recce in this game is everything. If recce base I tend to move next to base and then away (preferrably in hills/mountains). This is why I wanted to add the two scouts to the above deck 1) to have bounty hunter capability 2) faster recce unit.

Edit:I possibly will put the heli back and take down to two FAC's....I like the extra FAC just because it allows the FAC's to cover more area for strikes...but the heli just gives that bit more options in operatins (though to be fair used about twice in four games)..

EDIT:
I suppose the best overview I can give of this deck and the way I play it is this.... Recce is #1 .... if spot small commando/recce units...burn / jump or stomp on them..always try and kill recce units with precision strikes on with large armies....
With large armies .... never face them head on ... assassinate leader and use jump squads to cut of supply ....pound with air ... then stomp them..
If recce base with no intel/recce units..sabotage and disrupt...
I have even made an oupost next to an oupost just to give range to faction hq for my air units..again precision strike with FACS.
Rangers to destoy collectors....
ZeroTheHero

Postby greymalkin » Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 pm

I must admit I'm rather curious about the army with Starke and the Emperor's Own. Why those units, why not another PBA army? What role do they play, a rear-guard? It just seems like a waste to use Starke as a rear-guard general.

How often do you make use of the Crow and FAC's? Do you have a FAC on recce patrol around your bases?

Which tiles and HQ do you use?
greymalkin

Postby ZeroTheHero » Sat May 10, 2008 11:42 pm

greymalkin wrote:I must admit I'm rather curious about the army with Starke and the Emperor's Own. Why those units, why not another PBA army? What role do they play, a rear-guard? It just seems like a waste to use Starke as a rear-guard general.

How often do you make use of the Crow and FAC's? Do you have a FAC on recce patrol around your bases?

Which tiles and HQ do you use?

Emperors own has the ability to have attack 10 for one hit point. Although I have emperors own and elaphants as seperate armies they tend to get mixed purely to draw of cards and need. They basically have hitting power.These armies are really garrison units or threats whereas the jump squad tend to do all the real work. Starke is just there to beef them up a little.
I tend not to lose many units in a game as I don't meet huge stacks head on with leader and in supply. Assassinate leader, cut of supply and then hit them.

As you should have read the crow is no longer in the deck. It's not really used that much wheras the FACS are used and used often. Hide them in mountains (or equivalant bonus) in range of hq/outpost and frontier, recce units stealthed provide the eyes. Then hit with stealh or precision strike recce units with armies or other threat.

Hq is standard. Give AI as much bonus as possible.

enjoy!
ZeroTheHero

Postby greymalkin » Mon May 12, 2008 4:15 pm

I've pretty much used the list you supplied with theses changes:
-Substitute the 6/7 PBA (Emperor's Guard, I think) for the Emperor's Own. I like that for 1 more AP and 1 more resource they hit harder and have a def. of 7.

-I kept the Crow and reduced the number of firebases. On a small map, that's not really a problem. I think on larger maps, I'll dump the Crow and Mata for two more firebases, but on the current map, the Crow due to it's AP ability has been dealing more damage than the Nightwing.

-Rather than having 4 Elephants, I have: 1 Elephant, 1 Tiger, 1 Leopard and 1 Vengeance (the big mech) for my big stompy.

-I also threw in the industrial center, giving me 41 cards.

Tiles: Abandoned base and 2 basic resource tiles.

So far, I think it's working out. Because of early scouting I located some mercs to join me.

Do you ever supplement the Emperor's Own with Godsoldier's? Even if the EO are used as garrison, then Starke would be useful to lead some Godsoldiers as a primary assault force.
greymalkin

Postby Keypunch » Mon May 12, 2008 5:49 pm

"some"??

A single God Soldier is an army all by itself.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby ZeroTheHero » Mon May 12, 2008 10:09 pm

Keypunch wrote:"some"??

A single God Soldier is an army all by itself.

got to agree :lol:

On a side note: I am having difficulty putting together a 40card deck for the machines. They play too slow, no deep recon units, lousy stealthed/recce. Obviously the playstyle has to change for the machines. Will have a look at Xenos/Mutants and come back to machines later.

couple of questions
a) If I use the machine tile 1h,1m,1e,1t the the human resource is not there so have to pick lz is this correct?
b) Bio Harvest. Does this have to played on a tile that is collecting humans?
ZeroTheHero

Postby dave866 » Mon May 12, 2008 10:46 pm

I don't understand the first question, but as for the second: the Bio Harvest facility can be anywhere. If you have 2H at the start of your turn, it will convert them to 1E.
dave866

Postby ZeroTheHero » Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 pm

dave866 wrote:I don't understand the first question, but as for the second: the Bio Harvest facility can be anywhere. If you have 2H at the start of your turn, it will convert them to 1E.

Thanks. The First question is related to the first game I played as the machines I chose the standard 1h/1m/1e/1t tile but when the game started no human resources where being collected so I assumed this was machine related or bug? So ended up choosing the LYZ tile.

Note: Thinking that the plan I will have for machines is turning them into an economic powerhouse and go for masses of techs/genes using industrial complexes and playing a come and get me kinda of game to whittle the other forces down. Using Primus to extend supply and take in about half of the board, just keep on building collectors and jumping on anything that destroys these.
ZeroTheHero

Next

Return to Deck Lists