Imperial 40 card deck 132 points.

Got a killer deck? Post it here.

Re: Imperial 40 card deck 132 points.

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue May 13, 2008 1:35 pm

The machine HQs do not collect Human resources, so regardless of what tile you select you'll have to build at least 1 collector.

Machines don't really use Humans, so picking the 2M starting tile is pretty standard.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Midknight » Wed May 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Machines do have uses for humans, they're just not very critical, either being used for Cyborgs, additional Initiative dice, or the Bio-Harvest pod. I believe the Bio-Harvest pod actually takes 1H and converts it to 2E, not 2H into 1E; so it's actually a net gain in resources.

LZ X-ray is a bit of a gamble for the Machines - you're really hoping that you'll run into some materials in the desert if you take in. I would only recommend taking it if you have a cyborg-focused deck, as they have a slightly more balanced resource spread similar to the Empire of Man. Otherwise, stick with the Machine Wastes; the Machines are always hurting for Materials, Tech, and Energy in the early game, and concentrating your efforts on building up that resource infrastructure is your first priority. Play slow, use spiderbots to comb your immediate area for resources, and use stealthed heroes to scout outward (Reconicus, Vindictus, and DIaboliqua come to mind here).
I find for early-game fights the Machines have to rely on Harpies + infantry - the rest of their stuff is too expensive to be immediately affordable. Plus, Harpies (and Skeletors Mk. II) are rapid response, which frees up your AP for recon and card discarding/drawing; this also allows you to lose a few rounds of initiative and save resources if need be. The only time the Machines can really play an aggressive early game is if you get a lucky Materials find out in the desert.
Midknight

Postby dave866 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm guessing you didn't collect the H from LZ X-ray because your Machine stronghold doesn't have an H collector. You have to build a collector.
dave866

Postby ZeroTheHero » Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 pm

To all the above replies about the LZ-Xray tile. This is my point about the machines. Ok the cards don't use human resources, but I expected to automatically collect a Human Resource for my FIRST tile. (ps. This is my second faction to played). So the machines have 1 resource less per turn than the empire. So slower to build up. If the machines automatically collected (like the empire 1 resource of everything) at least I would have 1 resource to invest in Initiative.

a) Machines take longer to build up.
b) No deep recon units. (i.e commando/recce/stealth)
c) Has primus (gives about half of map in supply)

Conclusion: Machines need to invest in economy. These are my First impressions on using the machines still with the proviso of only having a 40 card deck. Only half played one game and impression is turtle with the machines. i.e. let other factions enter territory and hit but not expand untill have built maximum army.
The reason is using the Empire and Deep recon units I can make sudden strikes but with leaders(assassins/saboteurs) as deep recon only not much is seen. (no recce).

So no or at most 1 outpost. Genetics/Tech build-up of armies. Stealthed units for deep recon/assinate/saboteur a possibility to disrupt other factions early game (? wait until tactic cards).

I am not sure if I will like playing the machines?
ZeroTheHero

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu May 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Of all the races I have the hardest time with force projection with the Machines. The solution I've come up with is to have a infantry army and use assassins and supply cuts to level the playing field, then use air power and tech as my main weapons late game.

Early/mid game is one army frantically running back and forth between 2-3 outposts relieving sieges and intercepting uber stacks. If I can blunt attacks long enough to get significant air and tech then the game is usually won, but if I can't cut supply or assassinate early then my un-teched scourge usually get run over by Vengance/Mauler/Destoryer units.

I like machines because they force me to play differently than I play the 3 other races, but I don't like machines because they're play style isn't the most natural to me. So I've been forcing myself to play them, just because the games are fun and challenging, even if I'd rather crush my opponents with tentacles.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby dave866 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Machines are tough. I want to find a way to smash the enemy's outposts and strongholds with missiles and airpower, but standing up to the onslaught of the nimbler and cheaper enemy units (Xeno and Mutant, esp.) can be a challenge.

They're a faction that I feel like I understand the play style, but can never actually pull it off.
dave866

Postby metalface13 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:25 am

I don't see the Forward Air Command in my deck building options. Is that just because I'm playing the demo version?
metalface13

Postby ZeroTheHero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:04 am

As no-one has replied to your question.... I can only assume it is due to a demo limit.

Even though I haven't played this game in a while, I would heartily recommend purchasing this awesome game. I recently did a purge on my harddrive of over 50gb of games including Civ, Rome Total War, Settlers to name but a few.

This game however will remain on my harddrive for a very very long time..

Hope you enjoy the deck. With the latest updates I will have to re look at fine tuning it.

mmmm.... must play this again soon.
ZeroTheHero

Postby Stupendipity » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 am

metalface13 wrote:I don't see the Forward Air Command in my deck building options. Is that just because I'm playing the demo version?

No, it is in there. Just look under Special Ops Teams.

We demo players need to stick together (I don't have the money to buy it right now)!
Stupendipity

Previous

Return to Deck Lists