Deck: Xenopod: Boarding Party NakNak

Got a killer deck? Post it here.

Deck: Xenopod: Boarding Party NakNak

Postby Indricotherium » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Xenopod Deck: Boarding Party NakNak (55 cards, 150? points, 5 Tile Points)

My OOC reasons for building this deck are primarily the thought that Xenogytes are what you get from 'bad eggs' and the feeling that many games I've had as Xenos resemble the following chain: Deploy Rlyeh. Is he assassinated? If no, do you get nuked? If no, attach to uberstack and WIN! But just making a Xeno Infantry deck seemed sort of blah. That's when it struck me.

It's well known that the Xenopods employ Close Assault Ships in near orbit combat operations. These heavily armoured craft are designed & crewed to engage enemy spacecraft or stations in boarding actions through ramming to minimise losses of potential food supplies. The Golden Egg is one such ship used in the fighting around Earth. During the chaos of the final pullout and while engaged in harassing and interdicting withdrawing Machine Fleet Units the Golden Egg was hit badly in its drive area and left in a rapidly degrading orbit that resulted in a hard landing some years later. Thanks to the construction of the vessel, little of importance was lost, primarily 3 of the 4 Assault Shuttles.

The following is the ships surviving order of battle:

The P. Wastes Starting Tile (1H, 1M, 1E, 1T)
This is the crash site. Hopefully it will have enough of what the ship requires as supplies are dwindling rapidly.

Zoth'om
Klith'sik
Ithaq
1 Crashed Hiveship 'The Golden Egg'
These three are the command crew of the Golden Egg. It is they who released the boarding parties from cryogenic storage as soon as the ship landed and it is their intent, despite the radically changed nature of the battlefield they find themselves in (planetside rather than inside an enemy spacecraft), to secure the local area and prepare it for permanent Xenopod occupation while they await rescue.

N'kaai
Tsathogg
Cynothag
Glaa'kii
1 Intel Nest
1 War Nest
2 Research Nest
These four are the ship's research and development team. It is their job to equip the troops for ultimate victory based on whatever is encountered during the battle, and to equip them with whatever is necessary be it training, tactics, equipment or evolvement.

M'sisilk
3 Critters
M-sisilk and its 3 surviving critters normally would be used to track down and identify important enemy personel or critical shipboard locations. They will still endevour to perform that function here on the planet.

Mi'go
2 Demolitions Team
2 Hidden Hive
1 Mobile Hive
Mi-go and it's teams would ordinarily disable or co-opt vital ship or station functions hard on the tail of the combat troops. In addition, they would be responsible for the setting up of rest points and the conversion of the local environment onboard to something a bit more suitable for Xenopod life. The Machines in particular are known for evacuating their vessels to hard vaccuum during boarding actions.

Shogg
Ptah
Nya'lrax
C'thil Phagn
S'lugpha
4 Drudges
4 Drones
4 Gluttons
4 Brutes
4 Beasts
3 Psykers
1 Psyker Team
3 Enzyme Thrower
1 Pod Hovership
Lastly, here are the five Combat Leaders and their shocktroops. Only one of the Assault Shuttles survived the crashlanding in working order, so take care of it! These leaders and their troops know that this is not the environment they were bred for. Nevertheless, they are determined to be as deadly and ruthless here dirtside as they ever were in orbit!

Final Notes: Rlyeh is out because I wanted to experience some of the other Xeno Generals for a change. No assassins were included because I saw this unit as wanting to preserve as many precious food sources as possible from their combats. Plus I saw the opportunities for assassination in savage cooridor to cooridor fighting to be relatively low. The Queen was not included because what Xenopod in its right mind would risk a queen in a close combat vessel such as this? Larvae weren't included because, as a pure combat unit, their job isn't to setup a new colony. Of course if Genetics gets a Brood Chamber going, well, good for them! :) Due to the tight, labrynthine natures of most of it's targets, no Biomechs or Xenomorphs or Aircraft are carried and little in the way of infantry support, the Enzyme Thrower being the sole exception for artillery. I saw the Enzyme Throwers as a great fit for shipboard fighting. They lack the Rear Area ability (fits with the idea of close quarters combat) but their illustration with the multiple flexible tubes seems perfect for what they'd be used for.

I played this deck on a 175, 5, Huge, Rare, Rare, 3 random with Cults (we got the Plague). It was a lot of fun. I ended up using nearly every inch of the research trees (I think the Regen 1 for Bio-mechs being the only thing I didn't build at one time or another). And even though I got a Brood Chamber going and produced a Monstrosity late in the game it was an army of 2 Gluttons, 2 Brutes, 1 Drudge and 1 Enzyme Thrower, all Death Rodded and Genetic-ed up with the Plasma Blossom equipped Hovership support that carried the day. For a large part of the game they were commanded by the Trickster 3, Tactical Genius General (sorry, game not on this machine) but late in the game when they had to stab across a lot of terrain out of supply they were led by the Leader 2, Pathfinder 2 General.
Indricotherium

Re: Deck: Xenopod: Boarding Party NakNak

Postby Keypunch » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Sounds intereeeeeesting. Gonna play with this deck for sure!

[edit]
Just played my first game. It's real small steps with those resource settings, if you don't get H. I lost by turn 20, simply because I had left my main base unguarded (I needed my main force to investigate some villages for possible humans).

I did get a tense battle and a bug out of it. Psyker Team, Drones and Drudges against 4 (!) Cannibals.

Turns out the human and mutants, who both appeared at my base, had started next to "The Wilderness" and "The Enormodome" respectively :-/

Cult was Rapture...which is a major concern when playing so slowly...
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:36 pm

I also was starved for humans in my game for a loooong time, by all means do not feel you need to use the settings I tried it on!

Glad you thought the deck looked interesting.
Indricotherium

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:32 pm

You could try swapping the starting tile to the one with 2h and 0m. Especially in a deck with no biomecha there is little use for the material resource.

You could RP it as the ship had some recent spoils of war (human resource), a generator, and some salvageable tech, but didn't include materials for building new things. Or something along those lines
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Keypunch » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:49 pm

My second game was killer. Took ages!

Rare settings again, but this time *I* was lucky, with the Rift and Jinga Tower in range. Very tough fights with the machines and mutants, though, really requiring me to play on the edge of my capabilities. Including several attacks on their HQ that failed, one that succeeded, but ended with the machines taking it back with an in-the-field force...but not before I killed their Colossus.

In both situations I regrouped, reinforced, and added some tech and was ready to take it another time.

With the Mutants and Machines down, it was a rather dull exercise to send my superior forces to pulverize the humans. A full stack with Beasts, Enzyme Throwers, Psykers, perhaps a Glutton, really is matchless for even large human stacks. They just can't deal enough damage/commit enough units.

Finally, I also had to face the Kablaagh. That's a bitch with this deck, but I was real lucky with my breeding program, lots of monstrosities. I relocated my HQ to the Rift (defense bonus) and then executed the envoy. For fun, I threw in some smaller forces with death rods, which really took a bite of him. I didn't even need to revitalize my invigorated Monstrosities.

855 points, a new of Hall of Fame record for me.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby dave866 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm

My first two games were likewise greatly constrained by lack of humans. I had little luck with in-supply resources. There was the biggest petrified forest in AE history sprawled across the middle of the map that slowed down the enemy advance (and my inevitable demise). I love the terrain generator matrix - maybe dull to look at, but always an interesting map.

The machines found my HQ and picked off my enzyme throwers with that damnable precision strike bomber of theirs, then moved in with a pitifully small siege force. It was enough, however. I had gotten my lab and geneticist going but hadn't made it to the brood pen before the end.

I will go at it again, but am swapping out the tile for the 2H one. I never play Xenos, so part of the difficulty might be lack of expertise. Thanks for the deck and backstory, it really adds to my enjoyment of this game to have some idea of what's going on.

EDIT: Ouch. I'll stick with the P. Wastes. Though you don't need much M, you need it. I did get the egg chamber going though, which was fun. Got one monstrosity, which even revitalized wasn't enough to save me from a machine stack.
dave866

Postby dave866 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:16 pm

I've played a couple more games with the Pnakotic Wastes, and I continue to lack humans, severely. I'd recommend either not playing on rare resources, or adding a few Brood Pens to the deck. Would adding these cards run counter to the fluff?
dave866

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:31 pm

I'm sure Brood Pens could easily be constituted as the Prisoner Brig or somesuch. Though any prisoners are supposed to be kept in cryo until properly offloaded at a Mothership circumstances may dictate an early thaw to enable victory to be obtained.

Is that something along the lines of what you're looking for? :P
Indricotherium

Postby dave866 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Exactly. Early parole for the prisoners - such as it is. I'll keep it under 175 points and see how it goes.
dave866

Postby RagmanLSN » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Interesting deck indri.....

must try it out some time.....

;)
RagmanLSN

Next

Return to Deck Lists