Counter attack only works against front row attacks

If you think it needs squishing then post it here

Counter attack only works against front row attacks

Postby BlckKnght » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:20 am

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an undocumented feature. If you have a unit with Counter Attack, it will not return fire against back row units that attack it, even if it has enough range itself to hit them from where it is located.

This may be by design, but it seems unintuitive. Unfortunately, Counter attack is not described in the manual at all, so there is no clear rule stating how it is supposed to go.

Since there are only a small number of range 2 units, I've only seen this issue during artillery attacks, so it may be related to their "Rear Area" ability. That halves the strength of incoming attacks, and it isn't obvious how that could be done against a counterattack that deals damage based on a defense roll (halving the counter attacker's defense pool is clearly no good). Perhaps they could just take half damage from counterattacks?

I want my Reaver to destroy those annoying artillery units when they miss it!
BlckKnght

Re: Counter attack only works against front row attacks

Postby Vic Davis » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:30 am

I envisioned counter attack as a close combat type exchange...so the range limitation was based on that. Besides, thos artillery units are so weak without upgrades you can destroy some of them by sneezing on them :)
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby BlckKnght » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:06 am

Vic Davis wrote:I envisioned counter attack as a close combat type exchange...so the range limitation was based on that. Besides, thos artillery units are so weak without upgrades you can destroy some of them by sneezing on them :)

I just figure that if the unit has the range to return fire it should be doing so...

Anyway, my preferred solution for artillery is just to launch air strikes against the army until I've taken out the guns, and only then attack. There's no Rear Area where the air force is concerned!
BlckKnght

Postby Fun-Sir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:41 am

I have suggestion. Instead of only working from front row, it should only work when the counter attacking card's range equals or is bigger then the range between the attacker and the counter attacker. Well, what do you think?
Fun-Sir

Return to Just Another Bug Hunt