A decent starting position

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

A decent starting position

Postby pernod » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I recently played a game as the machines, and got the following starting position:

I was lucky enough to get a spider bot in my hand on the first turn, immediately spotting the Trident Submarine one hex to the south of my HQ. I moved a circumspect route down to it, confirming that I had the Black Mesa Lab two hexes to my north-west on the way to grab the submarine. On my second turn, I started out towards the east only to discover The Underhive, so I directed the spiders north into the mountain to avoid a fight.

That's where I found the Secret Military Base. On turn 3, I deployed the Evo and crushed the inhabitants of the Underhive, while my spiders stumbled over a MAG-3 Gauss Cannon. Turn four got me Maledictus, who joined the Evo, and they proceeded to singlehandedly crush everything on the entire map starting with the Black Mesa Lab and the Nuclear Reactor next to it. The only place they needed a bit of help was the Palace of Love, where some fuel-air bombs killed off the tac-nuke fanatics.

I have never had a starting position like this, and the settings was Huge/Uncommon/Uncommon. I believe the game was mine at the end of turn 2, actually, when I had the Evo and resources to deploy it. The only thing that was not completely perfect was that during the two turns after I had attached the Gauss Cannon to the Evo, my spider bots proceeded to find two(!) MCV-X1 Bursters. These +2 energy weapons 6 are more powerful than the Gauss Cannon, so it would have given the Evo even more punch. Didn't need it, though, but it could have been fun :)

I still played the entire map, of course. Had to enjoy the chance to rampage around and blow everything to pieces ...
pernod

Re: A decent starting position

Postby pernod » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 am

Couldn't resist. I played it again, got lucky (again!) and received a burster that I attached to the Evo. I had to retreat the Evo after two rounds of fighting the Deviant, as the double attacks of the palace guard ate up all my defense. I defeated the three remaining guardians on the second assault after repairing the Evo though. After that, shooting a human armour column to bits and slaughtering some maulers was a cakewalk.

Would you want to meet these two in a dark mountain pass?

pernod

Re: A decent starting position

Postby Keypunch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

Haha, awesome.

One's gotta love these games where you hop-skip from friendly neutral base to conquerable neutral base to the enemy.

On the other hand, there are those games where you start surrounded by impassable mountains, crags and swamps. Or in a near perfectly flat plain, but not a single resource point in sight.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Return to Tales from the Wastelands