Golden Egg down / Hive Mind needed

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

Re: Golden Egg down / Hive Mind needed

Postby potatoedoughnut » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Ok, so I started a new game of Fallout 2 yesterday and got a bit distracted. So, switching from one wasteland to another...

Turn 41:

It's good to see the hive is still alive and expanding.

After reviewing our position my goals are as follows:
primary: Finish outfitting the strike force with weapons and training
secondary: Complete scouting survey and find all enemy HQs
tertiary: Evaluate and eliminate rapture threat if necessary

Strike force is moved back to the underhive. I am considering replacing Nya'lrax's command with S'lugpha which will net us an additional unit and increase move by 1 at the cost of 2 fate points and some xp. Alternatively Ptah's extra supply range may be more useful considering our lack of supply range.

Invigoration serum is applied to the enzyme throwers. A psychic enhancer is developed and attached to Glaa'kii so that our genetics and tactics research can be accelerated. Revelation serums shall be developed for our scientists when resources are available.

The Mutant HQ is discovered 2 hexes north of the Trident Sub. It is defended by a Termagant in garrison with various heroes, and Mycorr leading two legionites (w/ flamer and enzyme gun) and a juggler. Units are not terribly powerful, but are well equipped.

Turn 42

EoM bomb the crap out of our Critters in the East. EoM striekforce lead by Liu seen leaving EoM HQ consisting of Grenadiers, Panther, Reaper, Leopard, Weapons Platoon.

EoM are occupying a raider fort NW of their HQ. It is defended only by a single weapons platoon. Though this is out of supply a single platoon should be easy to destroy, and will provide a source of supply in the region as well as valuable tech resources.

Ptah is placed in command of strike force. Flesh developed.

Turn 43

Unit of psykers deployed to Strike Force. I would like to deal with mutant threat before moving to the east to deal with EoM. Upgrades hampered by lack of Tech resources.

A new unit of critters is deployed, the Airbase is probably in trouble. Strike Force starts heading East. Defense Training is developed with a spare AP.

Turn 44

Critters scout around Airbase, fortunately no EoM forces are sighted. Demo Team scouts Rapture base.

On their way back to base Strike Force scouts and engages a lone Mutant Skull Crushers unit. Death Rods developed.

Turn 45

Strike Force returns to Underhive. Machine HQ scouting in very north of map in hex 8,2. Defended by mobile arty and spider bots. If I only had forces in the area it would be an easy capture. I wonder where their main force is?

Beasts receive death rods and invigoration serum and psykers get defense training. With the slow accumulation of Tech resources fully outfitting our Strike Force will take ages. Action must be taken to acquire more. Strike Force will attempt to capture mutant HQ, which will also give us access to Crashed Factory Pod, but we must take supply first. The sub is well defended, but the pump station is a viable alternative since Ptah has Raider 1.

Turn 46

Demo Team discovers an undefended Machine Terminus next to the Rapture base and capture it. We now have supply (with Raider) on the Mutant HQ. Strike Force moves out.

Drudges, Brutes, Cynothag, and Hidden Hive are found in storage.

EoM taskforce lead by Liu observed leaving EoM HQ again.

Turn 47

EoM bomb our critters again, doing 1 damage, this is followed up by Liu obliterating the critters.

Strike Force lay siege to the mutant HQ. The defenders leave their positions to assault us.

First up is a force of 2x Legionites (flamers&regen and enzyme guns), Jugglers, and Gargantuas. Legionites kill our Brutes before we can react. After that Gargantuas and Jugglers are shocked and the Mutant attacks are ineffective. Our Beasts explodinate to death a unit of Legionites (6 damage with a 1 hit attack), while the Psykers and Gluttons finish of the other. The drones manage to do 1 damage to the Jugglers and kill it off while the Drudges assault and do 4 more damage to the Gargantuas. Next round the Gargantuas are shocked by the enzyme throwers and then finished off by a combination of units.

Next up is a single unit of Termagants, the last line of defense. The Beasts open up by doing 7 dmg (Termies are steadfast) and the Termagant responds by damaging the drudges and an enzyme thrower, and then dies. In the aftermath Mycorr is captured and two other Mutant heroes lurk around the base.

The Mutants counterattack with their remaining forces: Pack Artillery, Ravagers, Slaughterers, Termagant, and Skull Crushers. The opening salvo damages our Beasts, and our Enzyme Throwers miss their mark. The bad opening rolls don't bode well for us. The 2nd Enzyme Thrower shocks the Skull Crushers. The Drudges are killed in the counter attacks. We kill the Skull Crushers and inflict some damage on the Pack Arty. Next round the Pack Arty kills and enzyme thrower and damages the other. The Ravagers are shocked but the Termagant destroys our last Enzyme Thrower. The Beasts are destroyed by the Pack Arty and the Gluttons are damaged. The Gluttons finally manage to kill the Pack Arty with their breakthrough attack (1 dmg per round with 7 attack vs 3 def =\). The Gluttons Berzerk down to 1 def (10 attack) and are killed by the Termagant. The drones manage to kill the Termagant off, leaving the Ravager and Slaughterers against the drones and psykers. In the end the drones take 2 damage and the Mutants are wiped out.

The Mutants are no more, but our fighting capacity has been greatly diminished, and we now have to face the EoM in the East.

Turn 48

M'sisilk takes the now abandoned sub and what's left of the Strike Force now heads East. Another Hidden Hive is taken from storage along with Zoth'om who is deployed. A devour and two feeds are developed to replenish our now empty tactics reserve.

Turn 49

EoM lay siege to the Airbase? Ulysses Starke with Mobile Field Post and a Vengence and Tiger vs a lone Beasts? Ok.

A tech team is deployed to the Crashed Factory Pod. Drudges, Brutes, Psykers, and an Enzyme Thrower are deployed to the Underhive awaiting the Strike Force.

Turn 50

The Rapture are now at an advanced stage. They will need to be dealt with soon.

The EoM siege continues. Strike Force arrives at the Underhive and is resupplied. Gluttons, Drones and a research nest are pulled from storage and the Gluttons are deployed to the Strike Force. It's nearly back to capacity, but lacking a lot of training and technology. Fortunately our Tech resources per turn have more than doubled. Another feed is developed as I feel my influence fading again. I hope our next leader can quickly and decisively deal with the EoM and Rapture threats.

Here is the save: http://rapidshare.com/files/185657957/GE.sav.html
Let me know if there are any problems.

You guys are making me do all the heavy lifting around here. When is someone else going to get into a major battle? I don't think you can avoid one in the next 10 turns though.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Indricotherium » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Heavy lifting? I took the Underhive while out of supply! Let's just not discuss the quality of my opponents though... mumble grumble...

Well, if no-one else steps up, I'll grab the next (very scary) 10 turns. I'd like to give it a day or two first in the hopes that another feels like joining us.
Indricotherium

Postby potatoedoughnut » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:04 am

Yes fresh meat would be good. Or if viewers (if we have any) want to make a request for a next time (different deck or race) that would be cool too.

I can't wait to see what the next 10 turns will bring. I'm glad I left us in such a dominating position.
potatoedoughnut

Postby ker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:32 pm

It does make you feel good to do your bit, doesn’t it :)

I know I wasn’t too aggressive in my turns but I’d like to think I set up the infrastructure for the Empire! I wasn't going to face the Mutants without some tech and training.
ker

Postby potatoedoughnut » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Different play styles work for different players, which is why these succession games are so fun. I was going to just sit back and try and get the army kitted out before heading out, but 2 tech a turn meant that it would be about turn 100 before the army was ready, so I decided to speed things up a bit. IIRC we're up to 5 tech a turn now, and more AP a turn as well. The other resources we're pretty flooded with so I wasn't concerned with those.

At least the next 10 turns will be fun ones :)
potatoedoughnut

Postby ker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 am

potatoedoughnut wrote:Different play styles work for different players, which is why these succession games are so fun.

Indeed!

I wasn’t criticising anyone’s playing style, by the way. Just wanted to justify myself as not a complete pansy, that’s all :D
ker

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:39 pm

So this is what it's like inside the personality matrix, eh? It's even better than the voices I already have in my head!

OK, it's been a couple days, I'll be trying to play this out tonight and will post it up either tonight or tomorrow.
Indricotherium

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Good luck! May the tentacles be with you.
potatoedoughnut

Postby greymalkin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Since I have some time off for Chinese New Year coming up, I can jump in for the remainder of this one and the next one. Maybe Muties or Machines? The justification for the Machines can be similar to this and the Muties can have a multiple-headed leader.
greymalkin

Postby Indricotherium » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Greymalkin you are in luck!

I was far too busy last night to actually get to this (13mo twins, who would guess my free time would have dwindled!) so I say that you jump in right now! Now! Do it now! :P

Seriously. I think you know the drill but just grab the latest save, put it into your Ironwhatever folder and fire it up! If you play AE in windowed mode you can easily jump in and out to jot down happenings as you play in a text file or whatever. Then post up the results here. Do NOT feel that you need to A) have experience with AE or the Xenos or B) write a novel or C) win.

These sort of things are definitely the more the merrier. 8-)

EDIT: Oh and I like the ideas for further scenarios. We'll need decks built though and card lists so you can have some idea of what to expect.
Indricotherium

PreviousNext

Return to Tales from the Wastelands