Golden Egg down / Hive Mind needed

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

Golden Egg down / Hive Mind needed

Postby ker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 pm

This is my expansion on the Boarding Party NakNak Deck by Indricotherium. The idea being that the damage sustained by Golden Eggs crash-landing was a bit more substantial than first believed. The psykic Hive Mind emulator – a biological super computer implanted in all such vessels in case the unit would have to operate without contact from the Hive Mind (the sort of circumstances the crew of Golden Egg find themselves in now) – was damaged beyond repair, though not rendered completely dysfunctional. As such Golden Eggs personal Hive Mind has begun displaying symptoms that in a lesser being would be recognised as split personality.

Ok, so here it is. I will start an Iron Man game using Indricotheriums deck (adding one Brooding Pen). Play 10 turns and then load the save on rapidshare. Then someone else who wants to take part can download the save, play 10 more turns and load the next save back on to rapidshare. And so on until victory or bitter end. The game is on a Huge map with three opponents and cults, everything else standard. Interested?

The Rules:
1. Please keep the same settings as the game was started with. Keep it Iron Man and keep everything else standard.
2. To avoid loads of people doing the same 10 turns without realising it please drop a reply claiming the 10 turns. Please do not claim turns ahead of time and claim if you have time to play. If there isn’t a save 24 hours later you have lost your claim and someone else can do it (but seriously, it shouldn’t take that long – how much AP can you have).
3. Please return a save after 10 turns. I know it could be easy to get carried away but just keep it in mind that other people probably want to play too :) Obviously it’s not the end of the world if you played 11 turns but try and avoid it.

Thanks.

That’s it. Have fun!

I thought it could also be useful to write mini-AARs to make it easier for the next Hive persona to get up to speed with what’s going on.

Start
I’ve placed our base in the centre of the deployment area. Surveying the map I see the immediate surroundings are all fairly flat. No recon in hand though.

Turn 1
I deploy a demolitions team as it’s the closest thing to recon that I have and the cheapest too. Go in stealth mode and move out. Nothing unusual to report.

Turn 2
I continue my exploration. Still nothing to report.

Turn 3
I get 2 human resources meaning I can deploy a drudger. I had the options of a drone or hero tactician / geneticist but I thought a drudger would be better suited to fighting off enemy scouts. Continue exploring. Nothing of interest.

Turn 4
My demolitions team discoverer an abandoned town occupied by slavers. The town has technology resource that could be useful but no humans to join my cause.

Turn 5
I deploy a drone with the intention to attack slavers. My only scout turns up nothing to report. Still have no recon cards. Then debate the merit of attacking slavers right now. Decide to hold position – no need for technology right now and I have no hero to gain experience from the fight. I give a minutes silence to 11 AP wasted this turn. Absolutely nothing to do :(

Turn 6
I discovered another abandoned town. This time with human and material recourses! I immediately move my drones to defend this position. As luck would have it the Empire of Man sends an air strike and kills my drone with a single die. The aircraft had some fancy ammunition which I didn’t have a look at. Sorry guys.

Turn 7
Decide to still build a feeding pen. I try to search for the spotter for the aircraft but get nowhere. He probably moved away in the two turns that he got between mine. This probably means that the Empire of Man knows our HQ location.

Turn 8
Scouts report a piece of Wasteland with two material resource. Not having an all that desperate need for materials I leave it as I found it. I then deploy Glaa’kii (hero tactician / geneticist) since his the cheapest thing I could get. Drawing some cards I see no recon :(

Turn 9
I get a Psyker Team in to play. Again it’s the cheapest thing I had. Demolitions Team finds nothing to report on.

Turn 10
I get another Drudge in to play. Luck smiles on us and I find supplies in field. I claim it but unsurprisingly it has no humans. Reports come in suggesting we are facing a cult of Rapture.

Save here.
ker

Re: Golden Egg down / Hive Mind needed

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:06 am

Awesome idea!

I'll take the next 10 turns, shouldn't take too long.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 am

Turn 11: Hearing that the Rapture were about I decide to implement the buddy system. Demo team is ordered to start heading back to base, while exploring unexplored hexes along the eastern un-explored edge (straight path and explore path are both 2 turns to base.

CONTACT! Demo team encounters an Abandoned Airbase that has been un-abandoned by the EoM. They currently have a unit of grenadiers supported by a Tiger and an empty army in the base. It is unlikely a force of drudges and psykers can successfully assault this base. Keeping the EoM from discovering our HQ is a priority.

The lack of recon has really bitten us in the posterior, the only consolation is the EoM has not yet removed the GBU-118 cluster munitions from the airbase's armory.

Nya'lrax (Tac 3, Path 1, Leader 1) is deployed and assigned the Psyker team (army: Psyk Recon) to try and make up for our recon shortcomings, focusing on the west (army is move 4 for 0 AP). They hit paydirt almost immediately, as they discover a 2 Human recource hex two hexes SW of our HQ.

At the end of the turn I have 10 AP left over after drawing a card (no recon =\). Taking the humans to the SW is a priority, as is deploying sufficient forces to eliminate the EoM forward base and getting a recon screen online.

Turn 12: The Demo Team returns to base and is paired with a unit of drudges. They will be sent out again next turn.

Psyk Recon deploys feed pens at the human resource.

Again, I end the turn with 10 unspent AP, but next turn will yeild greater human resources, and hopefully I can begin gathering a strike force.

Turn 13
: Psyk Recon explores more, but has reached the edge of supply and will return to HQ next turn. Nya'lrax is the most likely leader of our strike force ATM.

Demo Team (with drudges) move out, but movement is hampered by the slower drudges.

Beasts are deployed to our HQ.

I finally draw a recon unit, some critters! No left over AP this turn, much better.

Turn 14
: EoM has increased initiative spending, this worries me.

Unfortunately I was right to worry. TF Typhoon has destroyed our feed pens in the Abandoned Town N of our HQ. However this may be an opportunity, for the only unit in the army is Winston Liu!

Demo Team heads back to HQ and the Demo Team is transferred to a new army (Demo Critters), to which the critters are deployed. Unfortunately this leave us at 1 AP, not enough to pursue the hero. I plan on spending extra on initiative next turn to catch him before the EoM can wisk him away.

Psyk Recon moves and will be home next turn.

Turn 15
: Four materials and two energy and spent on initiative, giving us seven die, I hope this is enough. Success! We get first initiative.

Sadness, the critters detection is not enough to uncover the stealthed Liu, but the feed pens are rebuilt.

Psyk Recon returns home. Plan for the near future is to use Demo Critters to re-scout the EoM base and assess defenses. Current assests are 2 drudges, 1 Beasts, 1 Pskyer Team in the field; 2 Enzyme Throwers, 1 Beasts, 1 Gluttons in reserve (hand). Recon will determine deployment prior to departure. Seven AP wasted this turn.

REALIZATION: I AM A MORON. Rapture != Deviant. Buddy system scrapped. Damage minimal, I don't think I would have done much differently w/o the buddy system, just some army swaps. Resources and draws have been the limiting factors, not AP.

Turn 16: TF Lightning seen moving NE of Abandoned Town, consists of lone hero: Honor Harris. CONTACT, Honor Harris moves into the Abandoned Town. Our forces attempt to capture him, but he dies in the pursuit.

Demo Critters recon Abandoned Airbase. TF Centurian still on station (Tiger + Grenadiers), along with TF Brimstone (Imp Recon), and TF Typhoon (Valentine Kusanagi).

Lone Drudges unit moves out to defend Abandoned town resources, which will allow the Critters to recon more freely.

Turn 17: Free Mutants 'Stalkers' (1 Ravager) observed N of Abandoned Town.

Drudges take up station at Abandoned Town, Demo Team transfers armies. Critters explore to the E. Abandoned Airbase is occupied only by Vanentine and a lone MA-32 Grom. I don't know where TF Centurian went, but if we can move quickly we can strike before they return.

Drudges and Beasts are transferred to Nya'lrax's army with the Pskyer Team. They will move out next turn upon confirmation that Abandoned Airbase is still lightly defended. ETA two turns.

Turn 18: TF Centurian has returned. The Tiger will present a problem, but it is the only real obstacle present.

An Enzyme Thrower and Gluttons are deployed the bolster the Strike army, and they move out. (1 munition still in AA armory, 2 have been removed)

After AA is taken focus must shift to tactics, training and technology. Our foot soldiers will rapidly become outclassed by larger enemy units. Also, recon is still severely lacking.

Turn 19: Before engagement a War Nest is erected and some Tactics are developed: Hunger and Feed.

The attack commences. TF Centurian is the first line of defense, as expected. The Psyker Team opens by confusing the Tiger, which proceeds to do 1 damage and shock the Grenadiers. The Enzyme Thrower manages to do 1 point of damage to the Tiger while the other troops manage to kill the Grenadiers, but do no further damage to the tiger's 8 defense. The Tiger is easily confused, but proves difficult for our forces to damage. On Round 9 (at 2/10 HP) it manages to avoid confusion and EXPLODES the drudges and inflicts a point of damage on the Enzyme Thrower. The tank breaks loose again on Turn 13 and EXPLODES the Enzyme Thrower. The tank finally dies on Turn 16.

The rest of the defenders are disposed of without incident, but the difficulty with the Tiger underscores the need for training and high-tech weaponry for our grunts. Also, Valentine is still lurking around the base, I hope Nya'lrax gets better rolls than I got with the tank, though if Valentine sticks around I'll be able to dispose of her next turn.

Turn 20: Looks like Valentine skipped town. A new Enzyme Thrower is deployed at the AA to bolster our defenses. Critters scout the immediate vicinity of AA, I expect a reprisal soon.

I feel my strength fading, that battle took more out of me than I thought.....
Savegame
potatoedoughnut

Postby potatoedoughnut » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 am

Bump, is anyone else interested in this?
potatoedoughnut

Postby ker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:45 pm

I had hoped for a bigger turn out :(
ker

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I just saw this and I'm in! :D

Grabbing the savegame and will play my ten tonight.
Indricotherium

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Bugger, I've downloaded potatoedoughnuts's savegame twice but when I load it I'm at t11, not at t21.

Could you re-upload it at the t21 mark, PD?
Indricotherium

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Carp! Damn dirty fish, they borked my savegame. I'll have to replay my turns, I'll try and do the same stuff, but the battle might turn out differently. I don't usually play on ironman (I've had enough crashes that it's not really worth it, I never reload anyway and I don't care for points) so I may have screwed something up. I just quit after I do my turns correct?
potatoedoughnut

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 pm

Ok replaying it, here are differences:

T14: The Abandoned Town collector isn't destroyed, this gives me extra resources, and some more exploration time.

T16: Scouted Rapture hex 8,7

T17: Discovered but failed to hunt/kill/capture Blastomere at 7,9

T18: Discovered Underhive in hills at 5,10 (recon is grrreat). Able to deploy war nest early and develop Hunger. Winston Liu shows up at our HQ.

T19: Liu disappears. Develop feed, army is moving slower? Attack next turn.

T20: Extra army of Honor Harris + Grenadiers is defending. Tiger is paired with a Gronn. I kill the Tiger on round 3. W-T-F? My rolls last time were super crappy, glad I didn't have to spend 15 turns trying to kill it, no losses BTW. Imp Recon unit is killed, HH and Grenadiers retreat, still 1 recon unit in Hex.

So the results weren't that different. We still took the EoM base, killed some stuff. I was able to scout more since I didn't have to defend the collector at the Abandoned Town, but I didn't kill off a lone Honor Harris and he was able to retreat with some Grendadiers.

Anyway, here is the save, hope I didn't screw it up:
http://rapidshare.com/files/181224375/GE.sav.html
potatoedoughnut

Postby Indricotherium » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 am

Second try underway! :)

Edit: Yes! Turn 21! Will post this up tomorrow. Want to formulate a good post.
Indricotherium

Next

Return to Tales from the Wastelands