Extraterrestial Homesick Blues

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

Extraterrestial Homesick Blues

Postby Keypunch » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:56 pm

This is a story of how victory fell from the grasp of my six-fingered hand.

It had been a pretty easy game, so far. Quite quickly I had discovered the Mecha Laboratory and Aska and her Mecha had been running rampant all over the map. The Machine Empire was no match, and the humans had been only a slightly tougher nut to crack*.

Even the cult was only a minor nuisance, in the sense that I had to squash some Love Children here or there. Mighty annoying when the Love Child is a corrupter, but usually it amounted to no problem. All I lost to it was a Hordeling.

My big problem was that I already used my two expansion Gords early in the game, and even with Allelic, it was going to be tough to strike the Xeno HQ, as it was out of range, in cumbersome terrain. I was busy training up a small force with Commando, when suddenly a Xeno Recon unit appeared at HQ. I had slightly neglected HQ defenses, but nevertheless managed to drive him off, slightly damaging him. Not bothering to pursue such a minor creature, I simply added a few more units to the HQ force, and went on my merry way.

BOOM!

Turns out the Xenopod bastard had done nothing useful in the game, except find the submariene. The Trident Warhead wiped out my headquarters. And so, with 75-80% of the map under my control, 3 captured enemy heroes, killer armies in the field, advanced technology and tactics under research... I lost.

*Aska + Mecha vs. Honore Harris + Tiger Tank + Reaper Artillery + 2x Emperor's Own. Took 4 points of damage, and that's that...
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Re: Extraterrestial Homesick Blues

Postby potatoedoughnut » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:35 am

Hehe, don't get lazy and skimp on recon in the late game.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Keypunch » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:25 pm

And now I just happened to read a very cool article about such a submarine.

Gives a cool background story to this tile.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Indricotherium » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:57 am

Yeah, just when you think you're only up against a military problem.... :D
Indricotherium

Return to Tales from the Wastelands