Do NOT Anger the Giant Squid!

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

Re: Do NOT Anger the Giant Squid!

Postby hidde » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:40 am

Bugger is also immune to nukes

Not to tactical nuke it seems. I took him out with a single infantry unit equipped with a tactical.
Bug?
hidde

Postby Crystalis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Hmmm, I'd imagine this may well be a bug. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you post it in the bug forums.
Crystalis

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:47 pm

You sure it's a bug? I just assumed it was a "sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't" thing intentionally 'cause the first time I beat it was with a tactical nuke.
Ian

Postby Crystalis » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, if it is supposed to be immune to nukes, I'd think it was a bug.
Crystalis

Postby Bullwinkle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 pm

He's not immune to nukes, and he's not supposed to be. If you drop a bomb/missile nuke on him, it will do damage to him, just like it does to everything else. However, he has so many HP that a single nuke won't kill him (and the originator of this comment noted that the nuke he dropped did, in fact, do damage). You'd need to drop several, and you'd need to do it in the same turn because of his Regen 1 ability, as Kni7es pointed out. The tactical nuke, on the other hand, instantly kills a single unit by doing damage equal to the unit's HP. So it works against Kablaagh.

In a way, it's inconsistent, since you'd expect the tactical nuke, with it's limited effect, to be weaker than an Alpha Omega device. But I think this is intentional, because during beta testing, I told Vic that I one-hit-killed him with a tactical nuke once. So unless he missed that, it's a feature, not a bug.
Bullwinkle

Postby Nickk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:45 pm

It seems reasonable to me... The tactical nuke would be less powerful, but presumably delivered far more precisely than the "Hits the same hex" accuracy of the big nukes.
Nickk

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:55 pm

Just think of the tactical nuke as being delivered by a small, shoulder mounted missile, able to impact and explode inside the big squid rather than just scorching him with a radioactive fireball from a regular nuke strike. That's how I think of it anyway.
Indricotherium

Postby deworde » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:14 pm

It's not a bug.
"Nuclear weapons are usually detonated above the ground (not upon impact, lest most of the energy be dispelled into the ground) in order to maximize the effect of their spherical expanding fireball. After immediate detonation, the fireball itself begins to rise into the air, acting on the same principle as a hot-air balloon." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_cloud
An airborne nuke explodes relatively high in the atmosphere, so it can suck up the air from beneath it, releasing a massive fireball, shockwave and a ton of radioactive fallout. A beast with heavy armour nestled deep underground, which evolved in a radioactive wasteland, will merely be very pissed off. It's basically its own fallout shelter.
The tac nuke scene described is basically that of a soldier desperately aiming his weapon into the gaping maw of the Kabaalagh, and firing deep into the black heart of the beast. Think Independence Day, or Reign of Fire. Or every video game ever made.
deworde

Postby Keypunch » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:56 pm

"It is thus agreed that 1100 of Imperial Subjects will be delivered to the coordinates within 4 weeks. The Great Kabaagh does not need this in writing, for there's no court that can hold you to justice other than His judgement".

With those ominous words, the envoy left, leaving the Sectorial Proconsul and his staff alone in the war room. Cornelia West was the first to speak.

"Not in writing? Well, we better be damn sure that we make good on this deal. Imperial Intel has got the skinny on this beast, and it's a devil. Creepier than those Xenopods, for sure. We're lucky that we managed to pacify the mutant insurgency and take their main base. We can easily make this arrangement, sir, if we send off those with the worst genetic deformations first."

She paused for a moment, letting her words make their impact on the Proconsul.

"You're right, as usual, Mr. Mugde, take down a memo, that we're holding off on actually training those muties that we recruit, and instead divert them to the special caravan for shipment. I don't like it, but it's our only choice. In the meantime, we can focus on exploring the terrain that we liberated from the Mutant sphere of influence."

- Two weeks later -

Bureaucrat second-class Hideo Brown wandered across the parapet. "What a great day", he thought. It was only his second day of being promoted from third class, actually only a week that he had been at this freshly conquered base, and, for a change, there was not a single sign of ionized dust-clouds moving their direction. And he already was taking these important requisition forms from HQ to Commander Starke. He paused to stare at the local shantytowns and ponder his stellar future. Suddenly, a gust of wind tugged at the forms in his hand. He had forgotten all about them. Hideo looked on in horror as half the forms flew out into the sandy wastes.

"Commander Starke, sir, I, uh... I lost some of these forms".

"Pff, who cares about forms. We'll just slap some machine guns into the hands of the new recruits, train them how to charge from lower ground and they'll make excellent platoons of weaponists. Ought to put the fear of Man into these raiders we've spotted up North. And if HQ had some form that tells me they wanted those guys as infanterists or Watson-help-me, Marines, they can go screw themselves. We've got cities to liberate. Don't worry, Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job"

- Two more weeks later -

"Options, people, dammit, I want options!!".

The Proconsul was shouting at his staff. Of course they had killed off the envoy, as soon as the guy had showed up and pointed out to the Proconsul that a caravan of 900 men was not the agreed-upon number. Even the fact that they were genetically far more pure had not mattered to the envoy. Secretly, the Proconsul was both proud, and slightly scared, of the efficiency with which Cornelia had managed to round up 500 "excess staff" as she had put it to complement the 400 mutant wretches ready for transfer.

"There might be a way, mister Proconsul"

It was the screechy voice of Hanibal Zarkov.

"We could equip our troops with hand-held tactical thermonuclear devices. I have a design I like to call "Shiva". It's, of course, experimental, but should yield enough energy to revert this monster back into its individual constituent DNA-sequences."

The science joke went straight over the Proconsul's head.

"Do it! Do it! What do you need?"

"Mostly, I need a lab, and as many containers of circuit boards as you can find. There should be enough nuclear residuals around to put it together."

"You've got it, and Mugde, get that son-of-a-xenogyte Harris back here. He's a bastard, but he's a lucky bastard. He's leading the defense against this beast. When do we expect it to arrive?"

"No idea, sir".

- 4 weeks later -

The tentacly mass was approaching the Imperial Citadel. Honore Harris had only arrived a week ago, his troops overloading the Cheetah APC's. Now he had deployed his platoons as far to the west as possible, trying to make sure to stay upwind from the nuclear fall-out.

Vladimir Kost was standing by. If Harris' gambit failed, there was a fair chance that Vladimir's Tiger tanks and the so-called 'Godsoldiers" that Harris had brought from the Forbidden Zone might be able to fight back the oversized squid.

"Target in range, sir."

Honore crossed his fingers.

"Commence Operation Calamari."

First from a dozen position the sound of rockets being launched could be heard, and the flashes, seen. Then from a dozen more, and another dozen. Soon, the air was full with droning thuds of impacts, while the area in which the stadium-sized monster was reported to be was saturated with nuclear explosions. But would it be enough?

"Forward Observation Post Alpha reports zero movement, sir".
"Beta concurs".
"Delta concurs".
"I think we nailed him, sir"

"Same old crap as ever", Harris thought, "nuke them into orbit, it's the only way to make sure".

-------

In the story, I put the blame on Starke, but it's of course totally mine. I was so happy to be so lucky with having my "administrative" staff so early in place, and being so fast on taking out the mutants (epic fight between Starke with 2x Emperor's Own, Minotaur + Reaper vs. Mutant general with a Mauler), that I had totally forgotten I needed to deliver 11 humans.
I could easily have made it, as I had something like 4 or 5 humans coming in a turn. Ended up with 9, instead.
All I could think of was to make a race for tac-nukes, and hope to get lucky. I had sent Kost with a Tiger to some cities in the west and had some resource collectors there as well, but pulled him back. I also got lucky (in regards to easy Tech) that I stumbled with Starke across the Forbidden Zone, while frantically scrambling for enough resources.

I managed one Tacnuke, failed to make another by one fate point, and then the big Squid turned up. 3 vs. 3. With Harris as commander (he's got a high fate rating, 6.), I rejoiced. Then, of course, my first four (!) fate points were wasted, but number five did the trick.

I actually think I deserved to have lost that one. The rest of the game was a cake-walk.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Indricotherium » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 pm

This AAR was pure pleasure to read, thanks! :D
Indricotherium

Previous

Return to Tales from the Wastelands