Do NOT Anger the Giant Squid!

Gather round children and let me tell you the story of....

Do NOT Anger the Giant Squid!

Postby Crystalis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:39 am

I dunno what that thing's called, you get it with the fifth cult. In any event, if it sends an envoy to your doorstep demanding tribute, PAY HIM. For the love of all that's holy, do NOT shoot the envoy. He *will* leave his cozy home in the swamp to come knock on your door and ask you a few questions. I'd just built my first custom mutants deck to try and get a feel for them (as I only really have machine and xeno experience) and when some envoy came to my door demanding tribute, I kicked him into a bottomless pit, screaming something about Sparta while I did it. This is NOT the proper response, unless you have some kind of crazy army or WMD cache, as the giant squid is MEAN and BIG. This isn't so much an AAR as it is a survivors tale of caution. ;-P
Crystalis

Re: Do NOT Anger the Giant Squid!

Postby AuralParadox » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 am

I had exactly the same thing happen to me!

The 'swamp' in the wasteland happened to be three hexes away from my HQ, and the demand came around... turn 11? The amazing bit is that I had gotten a Mauler, Shock Troops, and Legionites together for my defense. Together, with some lucky rolls, they took it down from 44 to 15 hp! I had a giant in another army as well - if I had just another 2 AP to transfer, I might've got the thing. Instead... lunch. :ugeek:
AuralParadox

Postby Viridis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:11 am

Yes, I couldn't figure out how to amass an army to defeat him in time, until I remembered http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=224. Stupid forgotten foreshadowing!
Viridis

Postby potatoedoughnut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:25 pm

In my first encounter with this cult I suffered a bit for my bravado. After killing his messenger he walked into my base on Turn 16 and managed to kill off my defending army with TWO hp left. There was much groaning as that last set of dice was rolled, those battles that come down to literally one dice roll are really tense. I probably could have won if I bought a couple turns by telling the messenger I would pay, and then going back on my word when he came to collect.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Firescion » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Yeah the ole Big K is quite the holy terror. Bugger is also immune to nukes, I found this out to my great dismay and panic O_o. Bwah hahah the "great" kabaagh approaces my base little does he know I have more nukes than I know what to do with *nuke*.... oh god it only made him angry... halp!

Yeahh note to self: sometimes nukes are NOT the answer (though it did take off like 8-10 hp from the bugger so maybe the moral is MORE nukes are the answer XD)
Firescion

Postby Robovski » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:40 pm

I gunned him down inside my base. Sure, the premptory airstrikes didn't do more than scratch it, but the Vault 13 defenses and my Elephant and Imperials fended him off with only the loss of 3 units.

Hard fought though - would have lost if it wasn't for some good units and the defenses.
Robovski

Postby Sören Höglund » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:08 am

I managed to find an one of those advanced munitions for aircraft that kill with one wound before it started making demands. So I executed the envoy and sent a stealth bomber to greet him when he came to complain, and laughed oh so very, very hard. :D
Sören Höglund

Postby trujDMC » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 pm

I used the Imperial Royal Guard guys. Their vengeance attack meant that he could only kill off on unit at a time. I also had a Vengeance (the big Imperial mecha I think) with composite armor which Kabaagh ignored to go after the tastier and easier to kill guards to deal most of my damage...maybe I had two of those guys. Regardless he decimated my army, I used a TON of tactics and fate too. Oh, and I did pay him off the first time, to give my army time to get some experience and get those big units outs. So moral of the story, pay him off until you can get a big gun and some tasty vengeance attack units. I wonder if he gets bigger the more you pay him off.
trujDMC

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm

trujDMC wrote:Regardless he decimated my army

He only killed off 1/10th of your army? That's pretty good :D
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Crystalis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm

potatoedoughnut wrote:
trujDMC wrote:Regardless he decimated my army

He only killed off 1/10th of your army? That's pretty good :D

Pffft, you must be an engineer of some sort. ;-P
Crystalis

Next

Return to Tales from the Wastelands