*SPOILER ALERT* Way's i used to deal with Cults

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

*SPOILER ALERT* Way's i used to deal with Cults

Postby cultmarauder » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:42 pm

I figured I'd post some of the inventive (or brash) ways I beat the cults. all were done with humans in succesion on ironman.

fist) least injenuitive, I just beat these guys by hitting them with a big army, shock attack I believe featured promminantly.

what i should have done - assasinated the dude, which i tried, but failed to do, at the get go.

tricks) if you really want to you can put an army in a good defence tile to get jump assaulted every turn and "farm" the tech that the assault teams drop. this would have the side benefit of giving your troops alot of combat experience.

Plague) a little more ingenuitive - i beat these guys by reconing them and then nuking them. for the most part i tried ot ignor them, keeping a cure on hand (use tactics to develope not unit cards) at all times and ended up dealing with them cose to the end of the game.

tricks - as has been mentioned on here keeping an assasin/recon unit/bounty hunter on your tiles is a good anti plague defence.

love) these guys gave me a hard time, i'd lost multiple units to them and eventualy the computers actually killed them, not me. I almost was very successful trying to assasinate 'the deviant' if you have some tactics and can devote a turn of ap to it its not a bad idea to try. if you can avoid i'd suggest doing so, and going for the comp opponents first.

tricks- have none, i do wonder if they pyschic grabbing works on armies with multiple units though...?

Rapture - first cult to beat me. if your playing against these guys, worry, alot. assasinating the leader does not end the threat, but it does make them easier to attack. the second time i did beat these guys by hitting them with a huge army very quickly after assasinating the leader. high resistance is important vs these guys.

what i should have done - imo you best bet vs these guys is a nuke. i havent tried it though. if you do assault but dont have a strong army, tack nukeing the two bace defence cards would probably work quite well. a demolishionist would pottentially do well here too.

kablaaag ) this is perhaps the easiest of all the cults to defeat. i didn't know what to expect the first time around so i paid them off untill i had reconed the beast. at first my inclinaiton was to build a big army and kill it, but then i realized that perhaps 2 units with tactical nukes and some tactics behind them could easiy kill it on the first round of combat. just have enough tactics and ap to insure those tactical nukes hit and your golden,.
cultmarauder

Re: *SPOILER ALERT* Way's i used to deal with Cults

Postby potatoedoughnut » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 pm

tricks- have none, i do wonder if they pyschic grabbing works on armies with multiple units though...?

They can only steal lone units. If you have more than 1 unit/hero in a hex they can't steal them, so just make sure everyone travels in pairs. It's a pain for building collectors & recon, but not really a big deal once you get past early game.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Capaneus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 am

Has anyone defeated Kablaaag without using a Tac Nuke?
Capaneus

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:46 pm

I took him down the old fashioned way:

R'lyeh (+2 military genious)
Destroyers (10/10, massive dmg) (regen 1 w/ tech)
Montrosities (10/9, neuro toxin) (2 lives w/ tech)

Either get a group of 5-6 unit or use the techs if you're short units and get ready for a long battle. Fate and tactics help a lot too, but I did it before I had a war hive down.

If you didn't have R'lyeh you could use terrain to get your defense up, either by having a fortified/mountain base or moving your army into favorable terrain in the squid's path.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby trujDMC » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:43 pm

for Rapture, I nuked them using imperial FAC's and Nightwings (the stealth bombers). I used to think the forward air controllers were pretty worthless, but one of these makes sure that Nuke hits and the stealth bomber makes sure you don't get shot down before the payload is delivered.
trujDMC

Postby Robovski » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:48 am

Capaneus wrote:Has anyone defeated Kablaaag without using a Tac Nuke?

I did as the Imperials. I had good defenses though (Vault 13 starting tile is mountain + tunnels so +4 defense IIRC) and that made a huge difference. Also a big help was having some tactic cards available and a leader for fate. Then there were the units, with the headliners being the Elephant, the Vindicator, and the Imperial Marines and an Imperial Guaurd (1 of each). Everyone else died (and the Elephant nearly so) but they were some Emperor's own (2?) and a Leopard (I think). Receiving 4 10-die assaults is a lot easier if you have 9-10 dice for defense. I don't think I had any tech, but an energy weapon for the Marines, Guards and the Emperor's Own would have helped kill him faster as the bonus is added to your basic damage, meaning 1 points hits become much more useful. Reaction armor for the armor units would have helped some too, but would be my second choice.

A later (unsuccessful) defense tells me that the sacrifice special only causes 8 points of damage to Kablaag, which is a bit rough when I had to sacrifice an Imperial Gaurd card for it.
Robovski

Postby Screamer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Capaneus wrote:Has anyone defeated Kablaaag without using a Tac Nuke?

I, using the Mutants, defending my Clan Fortress (not sure about DEF bonus, maybe +2) with those units:

Leader: Coloboma Leader 2/Aggressive 5/Fate 3;
3x Mauler (with Dragon Mutagen);
3x Gargantuas (without upgrades);

I lost just one Gargantuas.
Screamer

Postby Vide » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I've done it as Imperial and Machine. Machine was maybe 2 Colossi and a Leviathan, all upgraded, plus presumably a leader. No casualties, one Colossus under 5 health. Low-defense base, probably a handful of tactics. Hmm... there might have been a Scourge and a trash (Mk.II?) Skeletor or a cyborg. If that was the case (it's been a while) the robots died, and the automata lived.

Imperial was Tactical Genius leader, 3-4 tactics, Rangers, 2xEmperor's Own, Vengeance, Elephant, maybe an artillery and one more infantry? Might have been a 3rd Emperor's Own. All infantry had all possible researched upgrades for technical and genetic research (with one EO lurking in the back with a Tac Nuke "just in case"). Armor all had armor boosts, but no genetic research. However, I also was in V13 in mountains, so they were all +5 defense. I believe the minimum defense was 10. No casualties, Tac Nuke unused, one EO at 2 health and everyone else undamaged. It only lasted one round, perhaps needless to say.

For the record, the Machines stalled but never paid tribute, whereas the Imperials fed a pile of humans to the beast to buy enough time to be assured of its destruction.
Vide

Postby Lemonix » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Just wonder, what happens if Rapture launches their device? I defeated them in like 55th round, took me long time to get army strong enough agree with post on top: u need alot of hp, def and some pretty nuke too. Done with Xenopods, full army of dunno what but 2 Horrors, 1 Brute (+3hp and EMP), Destroyer and other Mecha-morph.... Quite hard fight, but you got more time for them than other cults.
Lemonix

Postby greymalkin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Lemonix wrote:Just wonder, what happens if Rapture launches their device? I defeated them in like 55th round, took me long time to get army strong enough agree with post on top: u need alot of hp, def and some pretty nuke too. Done with Xenopods, full army of dunno what but 2 Horrors, 1 Brute (+3hp and EMP), Destroyer and other Mecha-morph.... Quite hard fight, but you got more time for them than other cults.

The whole world explodes. First time I faced 'em I had such horrible luck with the draws and resources and AI. Next time, I got them through generous doses of Mata Boyd.
greymalkin

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics