Races, Resources, & Starting Tiles

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Races, Resources, & Starting Tiles

Postby Severian » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:01 pm

A couple words on race-related resource issues.

1. Empires of Man. Card costs are relatively balanced. Air-heavy deck will rely more on Energy availability.
Best 5-pt Starting Tile = Staging Area (1/1/1/1)
Industrial Complex generates 1 Material/ 1 Energy, but is relatively expensive to play (0/4/4/1) and probably not best option in early-game.

2. Mutants. A more difficult decision. Heroes all require at least 2 Human resources to play. Relatively few mutant cards require Energy resource. If you're feeling adventurous, you may want to consider:
Tribal Lands (2/1/1/0)
But beware - building resource collectors and bases requires energy, so you better find an E source relatively early in the game. A more balanced approach is available with :
Mutant Wastes (1/1/1/1)
Units, in general, cheaper to play compared to other races. No specialized Infrastructure Facility. However, proper use of Scavenger Teams (get 'em on a town/city!) can provide a nice early game boost in resources.

3. Xenopods. Higher demands for Human resources. Little demand for Materials (only the Bio-Mecha units require).
Best 5-pt Starting Tile = Spawning Grounds (2/0/1/1)
Early-game strategies:
A. Important to tap 2nd human resource on starting tile ASAP. Two strategies for this:
i) Use hero (any) to build Human-gathering resource collector (total cost = cost of hero + cost of collector; estimated = 4/1/1/1 ???)
ii) Build War Nest academy facility (cost = 3/0/2/1). This strategy preferable, if War Nest pops up into hand early.
B. Use recon to explore area for random resources - only way to pick up Materials at this stage in the game. You will only need 1/unit to get those Bio-Mecha (Gangrel, Reavers, Destroyers, Corrupters) in play. If you're playing a "None" resources/specials game, you will need to conquer an enemy HQ before generating any Materials - plan accordingly.
Also note: Xenopods have "Brood Pens" facility, which generates 1 Humans / 1 Energy (cost = 4/0/4/2). Worth including at least 2 copies in deck, and getting out as soon as it appears in your hand.

4. Machines. Higher demand for Materials resources. Little/no demand for Humans (unless you include cyborg units and/or Infernicus in your deck).
Best 5-pt Starting Tile = Machine Wastes (0/2/1/1)
Early-game strategies: similar to Xenopod situation. If your deck is constructed without need for Humans, you will not need to discover these early-game. Note that Machine academy, the Conflict Node, collects 1 Materials (instead of the the typical 1 Humans).
On average, Machine units (especially most powerful) cost more than units in other races. You will need a steady flow of Materials, Energy, and Tech, especially if you plan to engage in any significant degree of scientific discovery. Infrastructure Facilities can help:
a) Industrial Pod (generates 1 Materials / 1 Energy, at initial cost of 0/4/4/1)
b) Bio-Harvest Pod (collects I Human, converts to 2 Energy, at initial cost of 0/3/2/2)

Question: if Bio-Harvest Pod is played onto a hex that has Human Resources, but these are already being collected by another facility (ex: human resource gatherer), does Bio-Harvest Pod have no effect? Or does it take precedence and begin to convert 1 H -> 2 E?
Last edited by Severian on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Severian

Re: Races, Resources, & Starting Tiles

Postby Jarrik_Harleys » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Severian wrote:Question: if Bio-Harvest Pod is played onto a hex that has Human Resources, but these are already being collected by another facility (ex: human resource gatherer), does Bio-Harvest Pod have no effect? Or does it take precedence and begin to convert 1 H -> 2 E?

The Bio-harvest facility, despite the way the card is written, doesn't exactly collect human resources. So, in your example, the human resource gatherer would collect the one human resource, and then the bio-harvest pod would convert that human resource into 2 energy. This can be seen more specifically if you have a bio-harvester in play but no constant source of human resources; whatever stockpile of humans you do have will dwindle by one per turn as they are converted to energy (say, if you found a squatter camp or something, a one-time resource bonus).
Jarrik Harleys
Commander Node Theta-Six
Second Machine Assault Group
Jarrik_Harleys

Postby Severian » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Ahhh! Much thanks for this info. So the Bio-harvester is actually much more flexible than I have been envisioning. It does not need to be played on a hex that produces Human resources. If it is simply "in play" somewhere, then it will convert 1H -> 2E of your resources per turn. Excellent. This, btw, is why I like forums...
Severian

Postby Trithemius » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:21 pm

I often play with maximum tile points because I love building up a little enclave and having to make more choices about my basic strategy before the game even starts. Anyone got any thoughts on selections for maximum tile-points games?
Trithemius
'Power performs the Miracle. - Johannes Trithemius
Trithemius

Postby gamefather » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:05 pm

For the robots:
staging area, LZ X-ray, strip mine.
total income from tiles.
4 material,
3 energy,
3 tech,
1 human.

Place your base one the staging area, because some of the robot heroes have zero movement.
gamefather

Postby Keypunch » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 am

Regarding resources, the Machines are somewhat screwed IMHO.

In the very best possible scenario, the first time they'll get an equal number of resources in regards to their opponents is on turn 3.

Turn 1: Spend 1T and 1 M to deploy a Sentinel (engineer unit). Run outside and be lucky to find at least 1M resources
Turn 2: Run the sentinel back to base, deploy a Scrap Collector (or Holding Pens), which costs 2M (and some other stuff).
Turn 3: Gain 2M, 1T, 1E (or 1H,1M,1T,1E). You now have an equal resource income to your opponent.

Now, that requires luck. More likely it'll be turn 4 (with a 1M/1T sentinel) or 5 (with a 2M hero) before you're on par.

Now, it might seem minor, but those first 5 turns, you're running at 75% income of your opponents, and are spending a significant amount of those resources to catch up. In the meantime, your opponents are able to spend it on recon units.

Perhaps it's a better strategy to not bother with the scrap collector, and just spend it on cheap units (like the sentinel, harpy and spider bots), and bet that they'll run into an old battlefield or somesuch, but it just seems to me that the machines are handicapped.

In their own way, the Xenos feel gimped too, since they don't need M, and will be in the same scenario if you place them on spawning grounds (2/0/1/1) (with the added downside that they don't have a cheap engineer, like the Machines), but at least their hive collects M if you start out on a 1/1/1/1 tile. Somehow, with them, I don't mind so much, since their style of play is so much different (dare I say, alien?) anyway.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Severian » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Keypunch wrote:Now, it might seem minor, but those first 5 turns, you're running at 75% income of your opponents, and are spending a significant amount of those resources to catch up. In the meantime, your opponents are able to spend it on recon units.

I agree that the Machines start slow. But I really view this as part of their own unique play-style: start slow, weather the storm, build momentum, eventually crush opponents w/ Superhappy Giant Robot Killer and/or WMD's. Their two infrastructure facilities, the Industrial Pod and BioHarvest Pod, really kick butt and get the war-machine turning by midgame.

I recently won a Kabaagh game with the Machines and was able to get just enough bad-ass units out before the beast knocked on my front door (turn 25?). But then again, I did happen to find a little friend called EVO...
Severian

Postby Hannibal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:34 am

gamefather wrote:For the robots:
staging area, LZ X-ray, strip mine.
total income from tiles.
4 material,
3 energy,
3 tech,
1 human.

How do you take advantage of that? Your HQ will collect, 1m, 1e, 1t, 1h. Assuming you build all 3 collectors, you collect 2m, 2e, 2t and 1h total. What do you build to take advantage of the extra 2m, 1e and 1t?
Hannibal

Postby gamefather » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:56 pm

First off, robot base does not collect humans. You place your base of the staging area. Then you place collectors with your base, getting all possible resources, and collectors on the other tiles. Since it is three different tiles, you will be building 3m,2e,2t,1h.

You are overlooking a significant robot advantage. All robot collectors are 2m,2e,1t, so you need lots of material. Of the possible one time bonus materials appear in 7, with large amounts of material appearing in three of those. Since none of your builders require energy, you will be stock piling that from the beginning. Also the robots get one of the Best free structures, the crashed mother ship. 1-2 free scourges and a tech hero, collects 1m 1t 1e and has anti air and anti missile. Hello new headquarters.
Last edited by gamefather on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamefather

Postby Keypunch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 pm

@Hannibal

It's multiple (in this case, 3) tiles.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Return to Strategy & Tactics