The tale of Mata Boyd (silly game)

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

The tale of Mata Boyd (silly game)

Postby dtmamtc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am

Not sure this belongs in strategy as such, but I was looking at the AE wish list thread and pondering how I felt that sabotage was too strong. I can't help feeling a bit cheesy eliminating competitors in this manner.

As I was thinking on this I wondered whether Mata Boyd (Stealth 6, Espionage 6, Saboteur 5, Demolitionist) would be able to win a game just using her to blow up the HQ's, plus some incidental support characters to assist. I'm sure others must have tried this one :?:

I was slightly upset to realise you're not allowed to play with an 8 card deck, so I put the 8 cards I wanted and filled the rest (40 total) with duplicates and fluff that were discarded until I got the ones I wanted :lol:

So my plan was as follows: 3 x FAC's to find the HQ's, 1 x Guard and 1 x Ranger for base defence, An academy, Erick Mai and the star herself, Mata Boyd.

NB: Yes, I know, this wouldn't work if you had those cult things on....

Map was Huge and all 3 AI's playing with a 175pt deck.

Still, it was more amusing than I expected in the end, so thought I'd share.

Battle Report:

FAC#1 went N, found the mutant base location, went E and found the xeno base - then promptly died to an air attack. FAC#2 went E and died in a minefield (hence FAC#1 taking over). FAC#3 went W and located the Machine base - all locations found by (t9).

Imperial Guard and Imperial Ranger deployed to base defence. Mata Boyd arrives on (t11) and heads W to the Machine HQ. War College placed on (t14) ...paging Mr Mai!

Machine Facility goes boom (t14), surplus resources used to gain initiative, troop pod go boom (t15) headed N to Mutantsville.

Mutant Academy go boom (t17), surplus resources used to gain initiative, tribal keep goes boom (t18). headed E for the final victim...

Minor damage to the Xeno HQ (t20), surplus resources used to gain initiative, research fac goes boom (21). More (minor) damge to HQ - oh wait... it's hardened!

Erik finally appears in hand, used surplus resources to gain initiative and noticed HQ had been repaired (t22). Mata hit twice again, but it was clear this wasn't going work. HQ is repaired yet again so Mata is moved out of the HQ (t23).

Erik deployed (t24), creates 2 x victory or death cards (turn two success into two failures). Erick creates 3 x victory or death cards (t25), mata moved back to Xeno HQ. Lose initiative and decide to wait (t26)

Win initiaitve (t27), 8/16 first attack, 5/16 after 2nd attack (using both fate points and tactics cards). Lose initative (t28), HQ has not been repaired, 3/16 from 3rd attack, not enough AP for another strike, so Erik creates another 2 cards.

Win initiative (t29), HQ has STILL not been repaired! First attack, HQ goes boom.

Victory with 212 pts at end of Turn 29.

If it wasn't for that hardened base it would of been all over by turn 21.

As I said, all very silly and just a bit of fun :mrgreen:
dtmamtc

Re: The tale of Mata Boyd (silly game)

Postby Indricotherium » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 am

For the same path to victory but a different playstyle use the Machines and destroy all your enemies with the MGU-7 Penetrator. Both the Wraith and Apparition have things to offer here between Precision Strike and Unlimited Range and you have 5 stealth hero's available for the deep recon needed to target those HQs. Season the deck to suit and you're off! :D
Indricotherium

Postby Pip-Boy 2000 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:30 pm

I've basically registered to mention this very problem.

It all started out so well. I was playing along, even having 1-2 combat encounters, upgrading my folks with Super Mutagen and creating tac cards, when mostly by chance one of my Imperial Spygirls stumbled upon the enemy outpost. I think it wasn't even Miss Demolitions, but the normal Saboteur 7, yet it was still enough to just ruin the enemy HQ with two Sabotage runs.
So after gearing up for war for HOURS, upgrading my troops, choosing how best to compose armies...there was nobody to even fight!

The problem is, as long as sabotage and missile/deep airstriking exists, the game completely wonks out.
And no, pleasepleaseplease don't shift the blame to the player who could just "elect" not to use these methods.
I'm bred in a way that I must exploit any and all weaknesses of an AI, because part of the fun for me is figuring out whether or not and where the weak points in the opponents logic are.
In almost every game ever made, there is that one weak spot, that edge, where clearly, if you just exploit the loophole, you gain a distinct advantage. Rarely, if ever, has anyone managed to create something balanced, where it's not just a question of a simple exploitation, but actually maneuver, strategy and smarts helps win something(the Total War series made it a long way towards letting strategy actually matter even vs numbers for example).

Here, all you need is a single hero card(and maybe 1 unit in homebase for defense in the meantime) to **** over a 175 point, 40+ card deck.

How dysfunctional is that?

And I am aware that the AI actually tries to send out it's best Recce unit in full on panic trying to find the saboteur, it's just no help if a) it can't find it or b) the saboteur is also using demolitions and just blows stuff up in one go.

This is worse than fools mate chess - absolutely no fun. It just ruins the point of creating dozens of unit variations and card sets and mutliple factions and trying to balance unit strengths across the board if the game mechanics themselves allow such suckerpunches.
IMHO these heroes / skills shouldn't be around. Nor should units that effectively do the same one-hit-kill thing. Anything that makes the game go from tactical pondering and planning (the main strong point and fascination here, scarcity, demand, weighing options etc) to "lucky shot" and a *snap*-and-its-gone sudden death ending, just completely ruins the whole unique selling point of this game..
Pip-Boy 2000

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm

I have a slightly different outlook on it, though it's important to note that I routinely handicap myself in a variety of ways for the sake of variety.

In my current game I'm Imperials playing a 275/5 deck in a 275/15 huge map 3opp and cult game, no air, demolitions, mechs, 1 Marine and 3 Armour (Elephant, Tiger, Cheetah). Basically I'm using an infantry/artillery deck. It's turn 92 and the issue is still very much in doubt. My first lab didn't even show up until turn 72! I don't think of it as me handicapping myself as much as I think of it as what High Command gave me to pacify this area. Not everyone thinks as I do, nor should you, but for me I enjoy the challenge.

I don't always play this way. There are times when I play a finely tuned deck and just go for the throat. But variety is the spice as they say and it's certainly true for me.

So I prefer to think of these heroes (Boyd, Nod, Diabolica, Rlyeh) as well as the nuke options as available to the AI to use against me more than as 'must use' weapons for me to smash the AI with. You can bet that (for example) after I realize the Mutants have IDed my base that I'm frantic to avoid them establishing or holding a base within 5 hexes of mine. After all, I've been nuked before. :P
Indricotherium

Postby Pip-Boy 2000 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Well yes.
But on a slightly related matter, I am still highly clueless as to what I am supposed to do against an airforce power wielding defender that can basically triple strike any approaching army into the dirt when I am playing without ground2air capable units.

Ironically, I currently only see the one thing I DON'T want to do, blowing up the stronghold via sabotage, as the only option of actually getting there without being shot to bits first.

Or fielding an all-stealth army, which is not something I am even considering..I really do not like the "sneaky coward" approach, I really prefer the research geek&utter brute way..
Pip-Boy 2000

Postby Indricotherium » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 am

Hmmm... no ground to air, eh? That's a tough one.

Well, if you're using tactics stockpile 'turn sucess to failure' cards and tortise your way in.

Alternatively, create several armies (1 extra might do). The real hammer gets led by someone with Leader 2 so they can be 2 or 3 hexes out and still inside the One Turn strike range. The decoy(s) are in front to hopefully soak up the air attacks. For example playing Imperials a single Imperial Guard unit in front presents a defence 7, 9HP target to the airstrikes and that's before any teching up (defence training, nanite injections and combat mutagen would make it a defence 9, 11HP nut). If you're really lucky, his defence stack might leave the HQ to crush the annoyance and let your real army slip by to sack the place.

Perfect? No. But a plan? Yes! At least I think so anyway. :)
Indricotherium

Postby imperialus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:14 am

Indricotherium wrote:I have a slightly different outlook on it, though it's important to note that I routinely handicap myself in a variety of ways for the sake of variety.

In my current game I'm Imperials playing a 275/5 deck in a 275/15 huge map 3opp and cult game, no air, demolitions, mechs, 1 Marine and 3 Armour (Elephant, Tiger, Cheetah). Basically I'm using an infantry/artillery deck. It's turn 92 and the issue is still very much in doubt. My first lab didn't even show up until turn 72! I don't think of it as me handicapping myself as much as I think of it as what High Command gave me to pacify this area. Not everyone thinks as I do, nor should you, but for me I enjoy the challenge.

I'd like to see this deck if you get a chance to post it in the deck forum. Sounds a lot like my "groundpounders" deck which consists of nothing but infantry, Arty and mechs. Big, ugly 93 card deck that sees a whole lot of casualties by the time I maul my way through all my opponents.
imperialus

Postby Indricotherium » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Indricotherium

Postby MarsRobert » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 am

I dunno, Valentine Kusenagi used to be my favorite, but I've recently taken a serious liking to Mata. :D In a recent game she practically won it single-handedly by destroying both the opposing AI's staging area primary structures. What a gal! :P
MarsRobert

Return to Strategy & Tactics