Cheap-moving Armor armies

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Cheap-moving Armor armies

Postby Flipside1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Here's something I found useful - bring up two armor/mecha type weapons and add several cheap infantry units with Rapid Reaction (zero AP to move) . Later, you can add some training or other toys, to make them survive longer.
I was using drones to support a Monstrosities, this way. 3 ap to move a 6 to 8 stack army can make a difference!

Any thoughts?

I should probably add - combined arms bonus helps, alot! Especially for multi-target or double-attack armor units
Flipside1

Re: Cheap-moving Armor armies

Postby imperialus » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 pm

One of my favorite machine armies is:

Proteus/Cyclops x2
Skeletors Mk2 x3
Harpy x3
Put Maledictus in command for that extra two movement points
Zips around the map at 5 hexes/turn, only costs 3 AP to move, and has a nasty bite.

For the Imperials try
Panther x2 (slap on the aegis cladding for better survivability when they assault)
Emperors Own x3 (or whatever other imperial infantry you have handy)
Cheetah x3
Minotaur x1
Put Kost or Powell in command
moves at 3 hexes/turn (5 with Kost) though it does cost 7 AP to move (5 with Powell). All things considered this is probably my favorite assault army. Give the infantry NBC training, PK burst lasers, and combat mutagens and they are pretty much unstoppable
imperialus

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:10 am

I don't usually worry about the cost to move armies, to me the movement rate is much more important. By the time you have big uber stacks AP movement cost usually isn't an issue, and once the army is moving you shouldn't really have much else to do other than wait for it to arrive and kill things. It might slow tactics development a bit, but that's more of an issue after the battle. Of course, cheaper is better, but I'd rather have a different ability that helps in combat on my leaders.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Flipside1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:34 am

Well, such armies can be fast. In any case, it's a much cheaper build, and can be brought to bear earlier in the game. They are capable of toppling most independents and can also kick lighter targets in the shins. For instance, they can chase recon units and grab prestige.
Flipside1

Return to Strategy & Tactics