Lethal infantry

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Lethal infantry

Postby pernod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi all. Thought I'd share some thoughts on a tactic I've found very useful with the empire of man and the machine empire.

With tip of the spear, I've found that using mechanised infantry (infantry or weapon platoons with cheetahs, or skeletor mark IIIs with hydras), pulse lasers/neuro needlers and NBC training to be terribly effective. The damage from the attachment appear to stack with the NBC training, so in the case of machines you get 2 neuro toxin 4, while humans get 1 neuro toxin 4 and one energy weapon 4.

I have experience my infantry hitting with one die do 6 - 8 points of damage, which is rather satisfying. You can of course argue about the cost, but the good thing about this strategy is that you can quickly get out a small mechanised infantry force to clear out the neighbourhood in the opening game, then upgrade your little exploration force to something that can handle monstrosities and god soldiers (I've tried) in the end game.

Pair them with a general with the leader skill, and they are very mobile too. In my last game, I had 2 skeletors with NBC training and neuro needlers supported by hydras, a proteus and the machine general with 2 movement bonus. They zipped around the map with 5 movement and tore everything in their path to shreds. No need for cyclops (cyclii?), behemoths or any of the other heavy stuff I had in my hand :)

Is there anything similar for the xenos or muties?
pernod

Re: Lethal infantry

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Beasts with NBC, Warlords, and Death Rods get 5 +1+1 attack, and +1 +1-4 (minus random resist) +1-6 dmg (plus any combined arms bonuses). Hits for over 10 points of damage on a single die hit are not uncommon.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby greymalkin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 am

My favorite stacking effects for EoM are NBC+Pulse rifle as well, I usually put my infantry with Starke for an additional punch. I also enjoy putting Aegis Cladding on Aska's mech's, for a -3 damage reduction. I haven't tried it with the OGR or Zeus armor yet.
greymalkin

Postby ker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 am

greymalkin wrote:I also enjoy putting Aegis Cladding on Aska's mech's, for a -3 damage reduction.

A bit off-topic but I can’t wait ‘til I get EVO as the Xenopods – then I’ll have a regenerating Biomecha with AT field 1! Oh, if I could only get my hands on a rare mecha attachment too...
*drools*
ker

Postby Keypunch » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 pm

As an Imperial, In the early game, I actually like Flanking better than the NBC warfare.
Mostly because neutrals hardly ever have reserves in the back row.

The NBC never seems to impress my mutated, alien or mechanical enemies. But flanking at least ensures a hit. It can be especially powerful when added to the Weapon's Team. Sure, they are still vulnerable, but now they will hurt the prowess of a targeted enemy unit, nearly guaranteed. Or a nice cheap way to add some oomph to the Imperial Grenadiers.

A grenadier or weapon's team with flanking will stand a far better chance defending an outpost against a stray gangrel or ravager. Either of those will definitely have a blast chasing and killing off smaller scouts (Spider Bots, Outriders, Critters). Combined in an army, they may even stave off more serious attacks, or provide great support for a big tough unit.

As for the other races, flanking's also real nice on Slaughterers. Double attack with +2 and hyperkineticism? Loads of fun when ambushing armor in difficult terrain. Skull Crushers, like the Grenadiers also profit by adding some flanking awe to their shock attack.

The machines and xenos (Beasts? Brutes?) have less obvious candidates, although in the latter case, flanking + death rods is a great, cheap combo.

@greymalkin.
Aegis cladding works great on the OGR too, but the Zeus Platoons are powered battle armor, and it can't attach to them. I usually add it to my Reaper Artillery, as they become so much more survivable that way.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am

I'd rather have +1 attack than flanking. By mid to late game flanking is useless as either battles will be large and flanking will not confer a bonus, or the enemy will be greatly outnumbered and the extra 1 attack from flanking doesn't really make a difference.
potatoedoughnut

Postby muddball » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:59 am

potatoedoughnut, if you use your artillery or large multi-hit units to knock out even a few units in the front row, usually the back row has to come forward. I heavily favor infantry with the 'extra attachment' property. +1 Attack and breakthru on one of them and flanking on the other usually results in the elimination of the back row and weaker units.
muddball

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 am

Well generally the first round or two are the ones that decide that battle, and if the flanking doesn't kick in until you're moved or killed the back row you're basically missing +2 attack for the critical part of the battle. I still think a flat +1 attack is better.
potatoedoughnut

Return to Strategy & Tactics