"Scout Baiting" (Leading Recon units into traps)

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

"Scout Baiting" (Leading Recon units into traps)

Postby Mayhem » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:27 pm

I've noticed that when I use a weak stealthed unit to destroy an unguarded collector (by destealthing and immediately restealthing) the AI is often smart enough to send a recon unit along to hunt it out and destroy it.

So, consider this: Said weak unit departs as soon as the destruction is complete, and a more dangerous stealthed unit moves in to take its place.

The result - one dead enemy recon unit. And in a game where recon is so necessary, this can rapidly become a considerable advantage...
Mayhem

Re: "Scout Baiting" (Leading Recon units into traps)

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:17 pm

I like this idea and will be giving it a shot.
Indricotherium

Postby deworde » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 am

Mayhem wrote:I've noticed that when I use a weak stealthed unit to destroy an unguarded collector (by destealthing and immediately restealthing) the AI is often smart enough to send a recon unit along to hunt it out and destroy it.

So, consider this: Said weak unit departs as soon as the destruction is complete, and a more dangerous stealthed unit moves in to take its place.

The result - one dead enemy recon unit. And in a game where recon is so necessary, this can rapidly become a considerable advantage...

Awesome idea.

A corollary is that if your assassin takes someone out, it's best not to hang around, because the same applies. I killed off a mutant army commander, and a turn later Outriders were swarming the area. Of course, then they "encountered" my stack that was coming to wipe up the now leader-less 8-man stack. Encountered with extreme prejudice...

On an unrelated note, you haven't lived till you've seen a pair of Termagants lose half their attack; Breakthrough my Scourges now, you scaley sods! Oh, what's that? You can't because you've been shock attacked? Oh noes!
Ah, memories...
deworde

Postby Indricotherium » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 am

I'm confused! Termagants are steadfast and thus immune to shock attacks.
Maulers OTOH are definitely shock or die. Those things are brutal.
Indricotherium

Postby deworde » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:22 am

Indricotherium wrote:I'm confused! Termagants are steadfast and thus immune to shock attacks.
Maulers OTOH are definitely shock or die. Those things are brutal.

Well, maybe I just killed them. 8-) Anyway, the point stands. Assassinating the leaders of 8-man stacks is an awesome way to summon and thus destroy enemy recon units. Apparently, Vic encoded the concept of blind rage into his AI.
deworde

Postby Indricotherium » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:34 pm

:lol:
Indricotherium

Return to Strategy & Tactics