Firstly last, lastly first.

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Firstly last, lastly first.

Postby Keypunch » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:04 pm

I've thought about a strategic aspect of the game that I wanted to experiment with and just wondered if some of you have some input.

The strategic aspect is the fact that if on any given turn, you're the last to act, and on the next, you spend enough resources to be first, you effectively get *two* turns.

My main line of thinking is that deliberately going for this (most feasible in the mid- to endstage of the game, where you can pour none and then max resources into the initiatie role) could greatly help in 'covert actions', i.e. sabotage, assasination.

On the first turn, you can move in your saboteur, perhapsuse their skill, then on the second turn use the loads of AP to finish the job and get out. This all without your opponent having a shred of chance.

Another possibility is to use turn manipulation to cut supply more easily. Deliberately go last when facing a big enemy stack in the open. Use the extra AP that two turns in a row provide to encircle them with small armies, and crush them with a big stack.

One aspect to take into account is that it massively helps to have AP-adding resources, such as administrators, Intel centers, prisoners, etc.

Any thoughts on the viability of 'exploiting' this game mechanic for a cool deck?
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Re: Firstly last, lastly first.

Postby potatoedoughnut » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:01 pm

I don't have a deck built around this, but I use this all the time. I deliberately try and go last for most turns, and then when something comes up (spotted enemy uber stack or spy, need to get somewhere quickly, etc) I spend resources to get "double" turns. This also has the advantage of always having AP for Air-to-Air interceptions and AP to use on tactics when the enemy attacks or does an assassination or something, plus you save a lot of resources. And you can spend down to 0 AP on your turn without having to worry about saving AP for interception or tactics.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Re: Firstly last, lastly first.

Postby Indricotherium » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 am

I'm with PD on this too, I haven't specifically designed decks for this but have deliberately tried to manipulate my turn placement whenever it would seem advantageous to do so.

A similar thing is to arrange to go last whenever you're just about to attack an enemy HQ. Should it fall to you, it's game over for them as they have no last chances available to them before the turn ends.
Indricotherium

Return to Strategy & Tactics