Help with the Xenopods

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Help with the Xenopods

Postby Hyfrydle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Has anyone got any tips on playing the Xenopods just tried my first game with them using the cults expansion and got wiped out in the first few turns.

I couldn't seem to get any units on the map and my base was very poorly protected.

I normally play the Empire but I've been finding this too easy now I've learnt the units so I felt like a change.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Hyfrydle
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Jolima » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:25 am

If you couldn't get any units out, chances are you were short on human resources. Consider changing the starting tile to Spawning Grounds and try your best to get any additional human resource you spot. Adding a Brood Pen or two to the deck would also help with this.

I just looked at the default Xenopod deck and it doesn't seem to have any low end cards except recce and larvae, so if you're using that you might either want to add some or focus on evolving the larvae for defense if you suffer an early attack.

If it was the Fist attacking your base early on... Well I'm not sure anything could protect against that.

Other than that I don't know what would be different from the Empire in the early game.
Jolima
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Crystalis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:35 am

Jolima wrote:I just looked at the default Xenopod deck and it doesn't seem to have any low end cards except recce and larvae, so if you're using that you might either want to add some or focus on evolving the larvae for defense if you suffer an early attack.


There's a default Xenopod deck? I downloaded the demo before buying the game and the only two default decks I still see after installing the full game are the machine and the imperial decks. I tried downloading the decks straight from this site (again, after buying and installing the full game), but it didn't seem to change anything.

As to the OP, humans humans humans. Energy comes into play SOMETIMES when building resource collectors, but by and large 99% of your units ignore energy as a resource. Humans make up 50% (or more) of most unit's costs, then it seems almost evenly split between materials and tech.

*edited for clarity*
Last edited by Crystalis on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crystalis
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Matchstickman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 am

Crystalis wrote:There's a default Xenopod deck? I downloaded the demo before buying the game and the only two default decks I still see are the machine and the imperial decks. I tried downloading the decks straight from this site, but it didn't seem to change anything.

The default decks need to be downloaded seperately, and only work in the full game. Link to decks.

Crystalis wrote:As to the OP, humans humans humans. Energy comes into play SOMETIMES when building resource collectors, but by and large 99% of your units ignore energy as a resource. Humans make up 50% (or more) of most unit's costs, then it seems almost evenly split between materials and tech.

Nothing really to add to that, humans are the future ;)
Obviously the eggs are a crap shoot in the early game, they cost nothing to be deployed so should not be left in your hand (unless you're starting up a new base elsewhere) but rarely give you what you need when evolved. It's more cost efficient to deploy a scout than to hope for a big bruiser from an egg to go scouting, you'll be waiting for the 4 humans you need and the others will be out claiming all the resources early on.
Last edited by Matchstickman on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matchstickman
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Centre of the Wastes (London)

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby stabbyjones » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:24 am

am i the only person who plays xenopods without using eggs?

a few monstrosities and destroyers do enough for me and you don't have to worry about randomness when you have the card in your hand.

xenos have almost become my favourite race and i don't even use one of their most powerful features?
stabbyjones
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:19 am

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Crystalis » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Matchstickman wrote:
Crystalis wrote:There's a default Xenopod deck? I downloaded the demo before buying the game and the only two default decks I still see are the machine and the imperial decks. I tried downloading the decks straight from this site, but it didn't seem to change anything.

The default decks need to be downloaded seperately, and only work in the full game.


Not to be insulting, but is English your second language? If you'll look at the very post you quoted and replied to, I stated that I downloaded the demo before BUYING THE GAME. Ergo I have the full game. Admittedly I wasn't specific in stating that I tried downloading the default decks AFTER I bought the game, but that is what I did.
Crystalis
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Matchstickman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Not to be insulting, but is English your second language?


No, just covering all bases for future wasteland scavengers viewing this Forum.

Guess as I'm doing that I'll post the PM too.

As to the decks, did you place them in the AE folder in My Documents or let the computer place them automatically? Mine unzips to the C drive by default, not my My Documents folder.
Last edited by Matchstickman on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matchstickman
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Centre of the Wastes (London)

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Seahorn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 pm

I had the same experience with the default decks. I installed the games on a couple of computers (both of them mine - I've become too addicted to be away from the wastelands for too long) and noticed that the one that I hadn't installed the demo on had all four decks right from the get-go. I tried wiping everything Cryptic from the other computer I had already installed on and reinstalling the full version fresh, and it came up with the full compliment of default decks.
I still haven't messed around with the Xenos though, they're too creepy for me.
Seahorn
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:36 am

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby NinetyNineTails » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 am

It bears mentioning that the Xenos have the most staggeringly overpowered hero in the game in R'ylah, with his crazy Military Genius 2, some excellent research options (including my beloved Remote Viewer), lovely two-hex vision Consort recon units, and some of the nicest medium and heavy units in the game in Beasts, Reavers, Destroyers, and Monstrosities. The only, and I mean only, problem with Xenos is that they don't have a WMD research option.

I find that the 2H, 1E, 1T starting tile for the Xenos is a trap. You think it's good, but all the really effective Xeno units cost Metal. I've had games where I was running the 2H tile and couldn't find any Metal; it was not a good time.
NinetyNineTails
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:39 am

Re: Help with the Xenopods

Postby Crystalis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:49 pm

NinetyNineTails wrote:I find that the 2H, 1E, 1T starting tile for the Xenos is a trap. You think it's good, but all the really effective Xeno units cost Metal. I've had games where I was running the 2H tile and couldn't find any Metal; it was not a good time.


Eh, not if you have an egg chamber up with a queen in the hex. Then all the stuff that your eggs mutate into (which only costs ap and humans) are the 'effective xeno units'.
Crystalis
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Little Rock, AR

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron