NLX Nanite Cloud and the Proteus

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

NLX Nanite Cloud and the Proteus

Postby RedDevil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 pm

I've always been wondering what the roll of the Proteus could be. It's seams rather lacking compared to the Panther (my favorite Empire of Man unit), with it's basic stats being the same except for 6 Defensive dice instead of 5 for the Panther. However, the Panther has assault, and mixed with the armor Enhancement, a group of Panthers have amazing first strike power at 10 dice attacks each. The Proteus has Breakthrough which is mediocre at best, but.....

Attach an NLX Nanite cloud munition on a Proteus, and it becomes a monster to large armies. The NLX Nanite cloud is the Machine's version of the Tactical Nuke Munition of the EoM. It gives you a 10 Dice attack that does triple damage to the target, and negates any revitalization, and will still do 4 damage to the target on a miss! It's also really cheap to make.

So what's so special about this card and the Proteus? Well when you choose to attack with the NLX Nanite cloud, it combines with breakthrough and and allows you to make two Nanite cloud attacks; one to the front row, and then again to the back row. Since it always hits even if it misses, you will always breakthrough with the nanite attack, and demolish any artillery unit in the back regardless of Rear Area ability or not. A mere three Proteus with NLX Nanites will often destroy 4-6 cards in one combat round.

I almost feel guilty using this.
RedDevil

Re: NLX Nanite Cloud and the Proteus

Postby Seahorn » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 am

I've been playing around with the Mutants lately. My new thing is to roll out a Razor unit, then upgrade them with the NT-7 Venom Ammo and maybe an Aggression Mutagen. That cheap, wimpy infantry unit is sudenly rolloing 5 die combat or 10 with Assault, with the chance of doing 9 damage on a single success (assuming resistance of 1, and that I'm understanding the mechanics and calculation of resistance challenges).
That's pretty good for a unit that rolls out for next to nothing initially.
Anyone else have some killer Unit+Tech combos?
Seahorn

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Death Sticks and pretty much any Xeno infantry work well together as dangerous cannon fodder. You don't have to worry as much about them dieing since you can just spawn new ones at an egg chamber, and the death sticks are pretty cheap to manufacture by mid/late game.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Robovski » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:51 am

Agression mutagen and a Venom gun work wonders for cheap mutie infantry. Not much for defense of course, but they assault quite well.
Robovski

Postby dave866 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:00 pm

RedDevil wrote: The NLX Nanite cloud is the Machine's version of the Tactical Nuke Munition of the EoM. It gives you a 10 Dice attack that does triple damage to the target, and negates any revitalization, and will still do 4 damage to the target on a miss!

I don't get this. The manual says that

The manual wrote:Nanite Cloud - A successful 7 die “Challenge” inflicts triple damage on the target unit card

So how does this equate to a 10 die attack that does 4 damage on a miss?

EDIT: the manual is incorrect. This is really awesome. I just took out an Imperial Vengeance in one shot! From 14 HP to dead, it was awesome.

I'm going to try something even crazier - a deck designed to pump out thralls and equip them with Nanites.
dave866

Return to Strategy & Tactics