Defensive Game

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Defensive Game

Postby Hankston » Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Hello, I am new to the game and so pleased with all it has to offer.I would like to play a really defensive game to learn more and explore.I do admit that all my 4x games I treat in this manner and enjoy.Would like a few suggestions on set up and tactics if some could suggest a way for a longer game.I just start to get comfortable with my playstyle and here comes a killer stack,"ouch"
I know it's not suppose to play out long like Civ or Gal civ,but would like to explore and pick up goodies like the old turnbase game that used stacks called Warlords by SSG.Can you imagine this game being backed up by one of the big companies out there.I hope one of them grab hold of Vic Davis and ask him to do what he needs as this is a game of many enjoyable hours
Hankston

Re: Defensive Game

Postby Vide » Fri May 16, 2008 7:07 pm

If you want to play defensive, recon is critical. Well, no, that's always the case. But moreso if you're turtling. Play huge maps, and try to make sure the enemy doesn't get bases anywhere near your HQ. If they do, capture them ASAP to cut off supplies. In this regard, the value of minefields cannot be underestimated. It's cheap, but when learning, you might want to build your base against the map edge and entirely surround it with minefields. It makes it very daunting to approach, as minefields cut supply lines. Also, choosing a defensive-oriented base and home tile will help, as will getting a mobile HQ-type unit out so that your HQ can never go out of supply.
Vide

Postby Indricotherium » Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 pm

In addition, invest in AA units. If you are extremely defensive the AI can, and will, go for the nuclear option. Especially the Mutants. And I agree about the value of minefields as an early warning line of defense.
Indricotherium

Postby Keypunch » Fri May 16, 2008 8:56 pm

The best defense is a good offense.

Letting yourself get boxed in accomplishes very little, IMHO, especially in terms of getting to know the game.

If you want to play defensively, per se, I think one of the best things to do is to keep small garrisons around every base, and focus your deck on resource gathering (Ozymandias/Mobile Harvester/Scavengers) and "self-granted" expansion (include some bases).

In gameplay, just pick an imaginary perimeter (your supply limit is a decent one) which to patrol and expand...
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Hankston » Fri May 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks for the replies and good sound advice. A question I have about the mine fields is? After you lay it down can you go through it or nobody can?
Hankston

Postby Vide » Fri May 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Mine fields only harm/impede/cut supply of enemy units.

And the utility of AA units is indeed high. However, they're not as useful against Mutants and Machines; for those you need a base with anti-missile capabilities, and/or a SAM facility. Keep a few tactics on hand and it's no problem to shoot down a MRBM. If you're feeling feisty, just go with a base and a facility, with both upgraded to their max level. I've had my life saved by the combo, without recourse (or access) to tactics.

I would also argue that defensive play is fine for learning how to play the game... if you plan to play defensively once you get more experienced, which I'm aware many do not.
Vide

Postby ZeroTheHero » Sun May 18, 2008 2:22 am

The other considerations when an uber-stack is heading into your territory are that a) His HQ is now lightly/un-defended and if you have recce units watching for this (recce is everything!) you can use those jump squads or whatever and knock him out or b) His outpost (Supplying his uber-stack) is lightly/un-defended take it with whatever is available now he is out of supply and can only move 1 hex per turn. Assassinate his leader and the uber-stack is no longer an uber-stack. In combination with precision strikes the uber=stack is mince-meat.
ZeroTheHero

Postby Seahorn » Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 pm

ZeroTheHero wrote:Assassinate his leader and the uber-stack is no longer an uber-stack. In combination with precision strikes the uber=stack is mince-meat.

Another thing to watch for with a beheaded (assassinated general) uber stack: Take out the big units first! As the number of units in the stack drop, the penalties to the units start to come off, so I find it's a good idea to knock out the big guns first, when they're fully penalized. Especially true if you decide to take in a medium sized defensive force and go toe to toe.
Seahorn

Postby Ian » Tue May 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Another thing that's key is drawing mobile units from the deck whenever you have the chance. If you have a few bases dotted around your main HQ with, for example, marines, it becomes a lot easier to quickly intercept any attacks they send your way without committing a lot of resources to troops.

This then gives you the chance to build yourself up in other ways.
Ian

Postby greymalkin » Tue May 27, 2008 2:39 pm

One thing you could do is build your base on a hill or mountain tile, just go to the edit deck section and check out the different core resource tiles. I know the humans have at least one: Vault 13.
greymalkin

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics