An AP-saving tip

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Re: An AP-saving tip

Postby RedDevil » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am

You hold down the 'Home' key while you click the army in the army management screen. You can only rename armies that are at a base. Also, your armies can have the same name as another army if you want.

The 'Home' key will be found in the 6 key cluster above the arrow keys on a standard PC keyboard. It is between 'Insert' key and 'Page Up' key.

To the previous poster who said he usually just names his armies "1,2,3,4 etc...", it's worth noting that you don't even have to give them a name. Just leave it blank and click create to save even more time. It actually makes it even easier to see what armies are shells, and what armies are 'commissioned'.
RedDevil

Postby potatoedoughnut » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Hold down the "Home" key (on standard keyboards it's near the insert/delete/pg up/pg down keys) and click on the name of the army. A dialog box should pop up and let you rename it for 0 AP.

I have no idea where the idea to home click came from (I would still love an answer to this :? )

I name all my armies "empty" and just rename them when I put units in them. When I stared playing I gave all of my armies unique names with role and greek letter (ie: recon alpha, strike beta) but I gave up on that since I would forget where I was in the alphabet (is this Recon Epsilon or Zeta?), so now I just name them by role only.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby Keypunch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:28 pm

The home key even has a Wikipedia page.

I play AE on my old 12" Powerbook, and the small laptop keyboard sadly lacks a home key. Such a shame, really, but my armies will have to learn to deal with a typo or two on their regimental standards.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby stabbyjones » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm

It doesn't have an alternate to home? that kinda sucks. although from the wiki pic it looks like either a giant laptop or a small keyboard.

AE runs great through wine in Debian BTW. (although i lost my high scores when i installed over vista. :( )

EDIT: (from the home key wiki)
Mac OS X
On most Mac OS X applications, the key works like the original on UNIX in the days of dumb-terminals, where Home would take you to the start of a document. When the key is pressed, the window scrolls to the top, while the caret position does not change at all; that is, the home key is tied to the current window, not the text box being edited [1]. To get the same result as the Windows platform (that is, going to the beginning of the current line of text), one can press the left arrow while holding down the Command key.
stabbyjones

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:23 am

Ah, I see. I know where/what the Home key is, I just didn't make the small leap of common sense of that meaning holding it and clicking at the same time. I'm all caught up :)
Ian

Postby Keypunch » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:59 pm

To get the same result as the Windows platform (that is, going to the beginning of the current line of text), one can press the left arrow while holding down the Command key.

Actually, that would activate "Spaces", which means I'd simply switch desktops. I could simply plug in a USB Keyboard, of course :-)
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby James Sterrett » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 pm

RedDevil wrote:To the previous poster who said he usually just names his armies "1,2,3,4 etc...", it's worth noting that you don't even have to give them a name.

Do not leave the name field blank.

Leaving the name blank can lead to a locked game. :cry:

(I thought the blank name was a nifty idea and started doing it. Then I wound up sending a series of autosaves to Vic as my games kept locking up. Today, he explained that blank army names is a Bad Idea, so I figured I'd spread the sad news.)
James Sterrett

Postby Vic Davis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Yes, don't leave the name blank. Some of the built in functions that I use for displaying the rollover info can get into trouble when they are asked to convert location info to screen info....the result is the game will stall sometimes. So always give an army a name. I'm going to look into correcting this long term but right now just name armies :)
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby RedDevil » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:12 am

Really? I've never run into this problem before. Perhaps it's because I only leave the blank until I finally put a card in the army. Once they get a card, I rename them the same turn out of habit....

Could that be why I've never had a problem with them before?
RedDevil

Previous

Return to Strategy & Tactics