An AP-saving tip

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

An AP-saving tip

Postby Giaddon » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:50 pm

During the first few turns, when I usually have extra AP due to a lack of other resources, I create a bunch of (empty) armies in my HQ so I can use them later when I have units for them. The extra few AP later can be a real help.

Very basic, but it works.
Giaddon

Re: An AP-saving tip

Postby Gojira » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Yeah, I've started doing that in the last couple of games. Helps to use up those spare AP in the first few turns, and helps save them in the following turns. :)

-Gojira
Gojira

Postby Crystalis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the idea, 'cuz I like to burn through AP before clicking end turn. Any turn I have more than 1 AP left over when click end turn makes me a sad panda. This should take care of that problem. :)
Crystalis

Postby John Doe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Yeah, I just figured this out myself after noticing that the AI does it all the time. Note that if an enemy stack attacks your base all those empty armies get wiped out. At least that has been my experience with it.
John Doe

Postby RedDevil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:14 am

Although it's a good habit to get into leaving 3 AP over at the end of your turn. If you get taken by surprise in someway during the AI's turn after yours, you need to have left over AP's to play Tactics cards during battle. Also, it takes 3 AP for a capture attempt. I've had lone AI Heroes move through a stealthed recon team before, and it will pop-up the capture box only if you have 3 AP. If you manage a kill, then great, but if you manage a Capture, then you just got a free +3Ap per turn from then on.
RedDevil

Postby Seahorn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:02 am

Saving 3AP and some energy units at the end of the turn will also let air units with air to air intercept respond during an enemy's turn. The ground units with air intercept ability do this automatically without action points, I think, but the air units cost that much to pull from your hand and play. Taken out a couple of Xeno fliers this way with Imperial air power.
Seahorn

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 am

This is one of the advantages of going last. You get your full AP to play tactics, air-to-air, etc. while the other players have their turn, and you don't have to "save" any AP at the end of your turn so you don't have the risk of wasting AP or wishing you had more. Of course, this can leave you short on AP during your actual turn if you're not careful.

I like to accumulate lots of AP generating thingies and purposely go last. Also, when you need it you can dump resources to get a double turn (going last, then first) which is another option you don't have if you always go first.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby RedDevil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 pm

Yep, there is a lot more strategy in this game then appears to the eye.
RedDevil

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:16 pm

This is something I started doing over my first few turns as well. Not so much later on when I might need that AP all of a sudden, but in the early stages I at least try to create a couple of armies for scouts and one or two as assault forces.
Ian

Postby potatoedoughnut » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:29 pm

This is probably a good place to point out that you can rename your armies by Home clicking (where did you come up with that one Vic?) the army name on the detail screen.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics