Winning the reconnaissance war

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Re: Winning the reconnaissance war

Postby Nickk » Sat May 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Some good points, but I don't really agree with equipping mutant scouts with LONGBOWs. A single AA unit is unlikely to even damage let alone destroy an enemy air unit. You can force them to spend fate, and thus possibly reduce the damage they'll do, but I'm not convince this compensates for the cost of an add-on that may never be used.
Nickk

Postby Indricotherium » Sun May 04, 2008 12:15 am

Great thread and something I've pondered much on myself.

A few things in no particular order.

Light Recon: Has the Recce ability and Attack+Defence<=4.
Heavy Recon: All other units with the Recce ability.

For me, a primary role of heavy recon is the destruction of light recon.

Imperial Rangers and Gangrels may be the holy grail of heavy recon, each with Recce, Stealth and Commando, but for my money I give the edge to the Gangrel. My reasoning is that since survival is all important on deep recon (losing your deep recon unit generally means several turns before you can get a replacement unit out there) the Gangrels extra point of Stealth as well as it's extra hitpoint more than offset it's slightly worse movement rate and stealth ability.

Stealth capable heros. As all heros have Commando if alone, stealth heros make great deep recon units. It's worth noting that the Humans have 7, the Mutants 6, the Machines 5 and the Xenos only 4 such heros.

Stealth units: In my opinion, stealth is far more important than Commando for recon units, as it enhances survivability. The Imperial FAC unit is a star performer here with Stealth 6. Add them to all the Human stealth heros and you have a lot of survivable deep recon ability.

Ghost Probe Bots are pretty much junk as far as I'm concerned. Their Recce ability is the weakest of all recon units, their Stealth is also weak and they have little in the way of Def and HP. They've disappointed me everytime I've used them.
Indricotherium

Postby Vide » Sun May 04, 2008 7:13 am

davouthojo wrote:You can give your opponents a nasty surprise by equipping your Outriders and Ravagers with Longbow anti-air.

If you were to equip Ravagers and Outriders with Longbows, it would be a very nasty surprise indeed... mostly because they're Dragons, not Mutants. :shock:

Nickk wrote:Some good points, but I don't really agree with equipping mutant scouts with LONGBOWs. A single AA unit is unlikely to even damage let alone destroy an enemy air unit.

Mutants are perhaps the only race where this solid conventional wisdom isn't true, tho' it's not Longbow'd scouts who make it so. Missileers with Longbows roll 10 dice against normal aircraft, and manage to put up 7 against the pesky Nightwing...
Vide

Postby Crystalis » Sun May 04, 2008 8:31 pm

Indricotherium wrote:Ghost Probe Bots are pretty much junk as far as I'm concerned. Their Recce ability is the weakest of all recon units, their Stealth is also weak and they have little in the way of Def and HP. They've disappointed me everytime I've used them.

Oh, I don't know. The one time I stumbled across the xeno base with mine and it only had 3 eggs inside it, it made for a glorious victory against the Xenos. ;-P
Crystalis

Postby Robovski » Sun May 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Crystalis wrote:
Indricotherium wrote:Ghost Probe Bots are pretty much junk as far as I'm concerned. Their Recce ability is the weakest of all recon units, their Stealth is also weak and they have little in the way of Def and HP. They've disappointed me everytime I've used them.

Oh, I don't know. The one time I stumbled across the xeno base with mine and it only had 3 eggs inside it, it made for a glorious victory against the Xenos. ;-P

The Xenos do seem to be a bit prone to using eggs as base defenses.
Robovski

Postby Indricotherium » Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 am

Heh, well, my best egg story was when an out of supply Chameleon came across and attacked the Xeno HQ defended by Ryleh and 6 units - all eggs! It takes a LOOOOONG time for a Att 1 unit to destroy 6 Def 3 units - but I persevered! 89 or so turns of clickclickclick. :D

But seriously, if given a choice I'll take the Lich over the Ghost Probe Bot every time. Yes, it's far more expensive to deploy and not as quick on the ground. However, once they're out of supply they both both at the rate of 1 and the Lich has a better Recce rating. In supply the Lich is the king of 1 on 1 bushwhacking with its 6 Att, the highest of any Recce unit.

If the Ghost Probe had a higher stealth rating I'd use it for the flexibility of the Recce and Espionage. As is though, they (IMO) just won't survive mucking about in any enemy HQ and once discovered, anywhere, they don't last long.
Indricotherium

Postby ZeroTheHero » Mon May 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Indricotherium wrote:Stealth capable heros. As all heros have Commando if alone, stealth heros make great deep recon units. It's worth noting that the Humans have 7, the Mutants 6, the Machines 5 and the Xenos only 4 such heros.

Single heroes not really good as recon units. What if they bump into a stealthed recce unit? They need to be near (not in same army) of recce units that are stealthed.
ZeroTheHero

Postby Midknight » Mon May 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Indricotherium wrote:But seriously, if given a choice I'll take the Lich over the Ghost Probe Bot every time. Yes, it's far more expensive to deploy and not as quick on the ground. However, once they're out of supply they both both at the rate of 1 and the Lich has a better Recce rating. In supply the Lich is the king of 1 on 1 bushwhacking with its 6 Att, the highest of any Recce unit.

The Machines definitely have very strong anti-reconnaissance abilities, I think, to make up for their lack of forward reconnaissance. The Lich is perfect for the role, and fast-response is available in the form of Harpies + any infantry (I tend towards Skeletors III for the Assault 6 to wipe out the guy before he retreats, but Advanced Cyborgs could work too, or add a stealth field and a Lich) or possibly Hydras(? - little experience with them). They get two Recce air units, which are handy if you need to boost the reconnaissance rating of a given square in a hurry (such as a stealthed assassins/saboteurs, or for a capture attempt), and as noted before, Spiderbots. Forward Recon for the Machines is definitely to be left up to your heroes, but the Machines get 5 heroes with stealth, along with the aforementioned ability to build stealth field generators.
Midknight

Postby Indricotherium » Wed May 07, 2008 7:18 am

ZeroTheHero wrote:Single heroes not really good as recon units. What if they bump into a stealthed recce unit? They need to be near (not in same army) of recce units that are stealthed.

Honestly, I generally take my chances and trust to their stealth. The only races with Stealth, Commando Recce units are the Imperials and the Xenos, and the Rangers and Gangrels are pretty expensive. All other Stealth Recce units slow to a crawl once out of supply though I suppose your hero could circle about to continue searching while staying near them.

This is part of what I love about AE though. There are many, many playstyles and deck building styles. I love it!

I've saved off your Imperial deck list BTW and look forward to trying it out.
Indricotherium

Postby Ian » Wed May 07, 2008 8:13 am

I'd agree that if you have decent aircraft cards you have to be prepared to use them to take out any recce or lone units that come within reach. Sure, at this stage you might think that 3 energy or whatever could be used better elsehwere, but it's a sound investment.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy & Tactics