Saboteurs and Assassins

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Saboteurs and Assassins

Postby Crystalis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Is there any point to putting a regular unit into a group with heros you plan on stealthing and taking in for assassination/sabotage missions? Aside from getting the ability to actually fight and not going straight to a capture/kill roll if an enemy recon unit spots you, that is.

Also, on capture/kill missions, what determines if you're going to kill or capture the enemy unit? I played my first handful of games as the machines and have since switched to the xenos. As the machines, I'd be successful on my kill/capture attempt and ALWAYS kill the enemy hero. As the xenos, most of the time I tend to capture them and get extra AP from them. I much prefer this method, how do I make sure I always use it?
Crystalis

Re: Saboteurs and Assassins

Postby Ghilly » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:04 pm

From the manual, p.24:

"If the hunter’s total successes exceed that of the target hero’s total dice pool number then the target hero is captured and transported to the nearest base of the empire that captured the hero. This threshold for capture can be lowered by the presence of a unit with the “Bounty Hunter” special ability."
Ghilly

Postby Gojira » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Crystalis wrote:Also, on capture/kill missions, what determines if you're going to kill or capture the enemy unit? I played my first handful of games as the machines and have since switched to the xenos. As the machines, I'd be successful on my kill/capture attempt and ALWAYS kill the enemy hero. As the xenos, most of the time I tend to capture them and get extra AP from them. I much prefer this method, how do I make sure I always use it?

I've found the machines usually capture from personal experience (not tried playing the other factions yet). I didn't know you got bonus AP from captured heroes, I think I need to read the manual sometime. :)

-Gojira
Gojira

Postby Crystalis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Ghilly wrote:From the manual, p.24:

"If the hunter’s total successes exceed that of the target hero’s total dice pool number then the target hero is captured and transported to the nearest base of the empire that captured the hero. This threshold for capture can be lowered by the presence of a unit with the “Bounty Hunter” special ability."

Hrm, could have sworn I read the manual. Then again, it was a while back. So, if I'm understanding that correctly, that means if I roll 5 successes and the target only had a die pool of 4 (regardless of success/failure) then I capture them? Then if I had a "Bounty Hunter" present with a 1 threshold lowering I'd only have to roll 4 successes in order to capture them?
Crystalis

Postby Ghilly » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Crystalis wrote:Hrm, could have sworn I read the manual. Then again, it was a while back. So, if I'm understanding that correctly, that means if I roll 5 successes and the target only had a die pool of 4 (regardless of success/failure) then I capture them? Then if I had a "Bounty Hunter" present with a 1 threshold lowering I'd only have to roll 4 successes in order to capture them?

Yup, that sounds right, though I haven't put much effort into bounty hunting as opposed to simply wiping out an enemy hero (I favor assassination). It may be useful to have a bounty hunter at HQ (or any base) along with decent observation power in case the enemy attempts sabotage. This is assuming your main army is in the field, of course, since large armies will tend to have a good chance to capture/kill.
Ghilly

Postby Seahorn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:15 am

I've played mainly as Imperials and the one time I put Adam Wraith together with a small but powerful army (Mecha, tank, Emperor's Own and artillery) it really worked out for me in the field. Erik Mai got deposited in HQ a couple of turns later on, so using tactics Wraith's army would wipe out more powerful armies, then Adam would usually capture the hero commanding on the bounty hunter challenge after the combat. The subsequent extra action points on the next turn would be used to roll out more tactic cards next turn, enabling Wraith's army to succeed again, and so on. The synergy of the combo was amazing - game went to about 50 turns, by turn 35 or 40 I was rolling out 40 AP when winning initiative rolls - and running short of cells at HQ.
I realize this is a touch off topic, but my point is that usually I just use Wraith as a single hero scout/recon with the stealth on, but the bounty hunter in command of an army can be a powerful strategic advantage. I believe Machines Arachnia is built to be used this way.
Seahorn

Postby Crystalis » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Well now that I understand how the 'capture' bit works, I can see where putting a bounty hunter in charge of a powerhouse army would be a good thing. However, what about those saboteurs and whatnot that you plan on operating in stealth mode? How much of a bonus is it to pair them up with another stealther?
Crystalis

Postby RedDevil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Seahorn wrote:I believe Machines Arachnia is built to be used this way.

Yes, she (it?) was definitely designed for this usage, and is my number one Hunter Killer. She also is rare in that she's a scout with a Command Rate of 5 rather than 4.
RedDevil

Return to Strategy & Tactics