Thrall Chamber/Cyborg observations

Tips, Tricks and Pearls of Wisdom

Thrall Chamber/Cyborg observations

Postby Firescion » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 am

Mostly what I wanted to discuss here is that for a high tech decently expensive card the thrall chamber just really dosent seem worth it to me. I mean it pales in comparison to the xenopod analog (though granted this is taken in a vaccume and not considering other factors but still) the xenos get an unlimited supply of random infantry/heavy infantry whereas the robots get an infinite supply of... thralls.

Now maybe its just me but does anyone find the cyborgs worthwhile in the least? I mean even the top of the line advanced cyborgs are only decent fuly upgraded and to utilize them to thier fullest you need to get ahold of at least 1 weapon from recon or 2 if you didnt include/dont draw a geneticist. And even then while you can theoretically have a 7/5/3 with shock, 4 nerotoxin, and double attack (assuming you pull a flamethrower and build a nerotoxin gun) the questoin becomes is it worth your investmet since with 3 hp one good smack and hes down for the count. compare to say skeletors 3 which are a 4/5/5 with shock 6 and can be upgraded to a 5/6/7 nerotoxin 4 with assault 6. Granted the skeletors cost 1 more resource but seriously if you were going to pick one which would it be?

If I am overlooking some sort of master strategy that makes cyborgs a viable and useful addition to the machine army please let me know, but as it sits I can think of no use for cyborgs/the thrall chamber other than to make a challenge for yourself or use up extra human resources (and if your going to do that just add a bio-harvest pod) or perhaps as cannon fodder/meatshields for bigger and better troops (though rather poor meatshields with only 3 hp)

Basically I love the concept of cyborgs but I dont think they serve any usefull purpose for a macine player. Now if defensive nanites worked on them I would change my tune a bit I think but as it stands cyborgs are a risky investment for questionable value.
Firescion

Re: Thrall Chamber/Cyborg observations

Postby potatoedoughnut » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 am

Thralls don't need a leader so you can make like 4 9 stacks and just throw them at something. They're bound to do at least a couple damage.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby dave866 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:01 am

I have yet to build a thrall chamber - how does it work? Does it deploy a thrall to your deck for an AP cost to use the thrall chamber action, where that thrall then must be deployed as usual? Or does the thrall deploy to the garrison without any resource expenditure?

I agree with you that cyborgs are difficult to understand. I have been playing various machine strategies and if I figure it out, I'll let you know.
dave866

Postby Indricotherium » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 am

I've deployed a Thrall Chamber on a few occasions and got use out of them every time.

To answer your usage question first, for 1AP, 1H you get 1 Thrall deployed directly to the facility you built the chamber at.

IMO, their best use is as 5 Thrall garrisons scattered about when you're being harassed by back field recon. Thralls in the second rank rarely live to attack in any serious battle and as a thrall army costs 1AP per thrall to move I prefer to use 5AP / move rather than 8AP.

They're also good as meatshields for bases under heavy or persistent air attack, unless the enemy has Precision Strike.

I've also used them in lines of 1 thrall armies as pickets, the AI loves to decloak to destroy them and non-stealthed armies can't pass without destroying them. In this use, they essentially cause any attack on you to slow to a crawl while you summon reinforcements.

Lastly, in a game where I suffered truly grevious losses to my Recon elements, I sent a swarm of 1 thrall armies into areas I had yet to scout. They were surprisingly effective at that.

If you have the AP and H to spare, they do come in handy.
Indricotherium

Postby dave866 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:11 am

Brilliant deployment. Thank you for the tips and strategy notes.
dave866

Postby Keypunch » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:49 am

If I am overlooking some sort of master strategy that makes cyborgs a viable and useful addition to the machine army please let me know

In my personal opinion, they would be an excellent unit to send back in time and find Sarah Connor.

Which explains the total lack of cyborgs in *my* machine decks, at least.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Postby Robovski » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:37 am

Thralls are handy for garrison duties. Add defensive bonuses and they do well enough.

As for the cyborgs, your genetic technician can cook up a cyborg enhancer really easily (which works on thralls too...) which will help even out the odds. Did you know that Thrall can carry weapons too? Yep, give them that neurotoxin gun too if you are insane (I did it for kicks last night). It was hilarious going against the Xenos with a full stack of Thralls kitted out with enhancer serum and guns...
Robovski

Postby Midknight » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:12 am

I suppose one "advantage" of cyborgs in general is that resource costs for them are spread over humans and materials, rather than concentrated all in materials. And fully kitted advanced cyborgs, while tough to do, are quite lethal especially when paired with a Harpy - Skeletors Mk II and III can function without one, but the advantages of a Harpy are considerably greater for Advanced Cyborgs. Double attacking at strength 9 with shock is pretty lethal.
Midknight

Postby dave866 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:24 pm

I can't figure out how you got to strength 9 and shock. All I can see is 3 base + 2 harpy +1 cyborg enhance +1 needler = 7. And no shock.
dave866

Postby Keypunch » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:50 pm

The cyborgs can have 2 attachments.

What gives +2 and adds shock? ;-)

It can't be produced of course, but I assume Robovski found some flamers.
Keypunch

Location: The Netherlands. That's not a tile, it's a country!

Next

Return to Strategy & Tactics