So about those bogus cheating dice AI dice rolls

Mutants, Imperials, Machines and Xenopods all chatting it up about anything AE related

So about those bogus cheating dice AI dice rolls

Postby alaric11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:31 am

I'm not the first person to notice that the supposed 50/50 dice rolls are not in fact 50/50 at all. As a player who uses the emperors own with the fanatic special rule and the vengeance mech i roll a 10 dice pool very often. In thousands of dice rolls I have not rolled higher than 7/10 and never on a roll that mattered. Tiny skirmishes involving my mechs and a small recon force of the opponents last hundreds of turns, despite the fact that I have as much as twice the dice. I have rolled 1's or lower over 30 times in a row with 10 dice. Meanwhile, the enemy rolls exactly 1 higher than my defense close to 50 times in a row. And if all this happened in one game I would have no problem. But this exact format has happened EVERY GAME (I've played about 20 times) and at least half of other plays I've had communication with tell me an almost identical story. I have had to give up entirely on playing the game. It feels like I am playing with a crappy, vindictive, pisspoor DM who chooses the results of his dice roll from behind a screen.

If I am curious as to other players experience and look forward to hearing about your experiences.
alaric11

Re: So about those bogus cheating dice AI dice rolls

Postby ker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Well, I've just finished up a game with the Mutants where I was rolling my fair share of 10 dice pools. Can't say I felt the same way as you. That said, AE is one of my "comfort" game so I've long since internalised many of its weirdnesses :)

Honestly, this sounds like typical butting heads between genuine random events and human nature trying to make sense of it all. If you're not careful it is really easy to fall in to the trap of expecting a 70% to hit roll succeed nearly all the time but be outraged when a 30% dodge chance doesn't go off every other time. Randomness is just that. It's random. And it doesn't care if you had 10 bad rolls in a row - it might just give you another exactly because it is unpredictable.

To be fair, I haven't done any statistical analysis so there might be an actual coding error or a quirk of the RNG being exposed. If you feel passionate enough about it I'd be interested to see actual data to prove me wrong :)

Also, have you tried playing the Xeno's? If memory serves, they can up their fate pool by about 6 points through technology which can ease your bad roll frustrations. Or you can base more of your strategy around making Tactics cards which will do the same thing as long as you don't mind spending AP.
ker

Re: So about those bogus cheating dice AI dice rolls

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:18 am

I think there is something fishy going on. At almost all times, your attack die pool is higher than the defender's defence die pool, and yet I feel like I miss more than I hit when attacking. And I say that after accounting for defenders winning ties. The number of times you roll less than a defender with a small dice pool has really gotten to me while playing a long game of AE with high tech units.
Frothy_mikhael

Return to General Discussion