Script error after using Major Arcana

If you come across a script error or gameplay bug then this is the place to report it. OR you can send me an email with a save game (even better)

Re: Script error after using Major Arcana

Postby Avian Overlord » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:40 pm

The pact, the sorcery option, the emperor.
Avian Overlord

Postby Vic Davis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm

I was wondering if any of the players who posted in this thread with problems after they played a major Arcana, were playing the game with a compatability mode set for the game? I'm beginning to think this might be an Adobe Director issue since I can't reproduce this after hundreds of run throughs with the mentioned Major Arcana and the named encounters.
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby pianistamoeba » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm

None for me at least. Just playing on Win7 using the full screen executable.
pianistamoeba

Postby Vic Davis » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Give compatability mode a try. You just right click on your shortcut for starting the game and select the compatability tab...then try something like windows XP service pack 2 or Vista service pack 3. In the past this has eliminated random script errors and some freeze ups on my other games. Let me know too if you get this again and what the conditions were if you have the chance. I'm really scratching my head on this.
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby Wimblenoob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 am

I recently had this bug too.

From what I can remember (Reaper, no save sorry) I had 4 Major arcana (World, Wheel, Hermit and Temperance) and was in a battle vs. a shadow gaunt. I had flipped all trick cards and had selected the Wheel card to play and got the script error: I clicked yes to continue and got this screenshot:

Clicking stuff did nothing. Also it didn't register me playing the Major Arcana as in the picture I don't have any points.

I'll try using a compatibility mode like you suggest.
Wimblenoob

Postby Wimblenoob » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:57 pm

Just tried with the compatibility set to Vista and had the same issue using a Major Arcana card as last time, infuriatingly on the last encounter.
I'll try again with Xp service pack 2 this time.

Edit:
The only thing I can think of that both my crashes happened using the card on the second basement level. As otherwise both the playthroughs were pretty different.

Edit2:

Xp Service pack compatibility seems to have sorted it, as I played some MA cards and they worked. :)
Wimblenoob

Postby Vic Davis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the update on this. I've been having a real problem with compatibility issues for some reason and there doesn't seem to be a consistent solution. For some players it's not an issue running in Windows 7 with no compatibility settings and for others XP 2 or Vista does the trick. I can only guess that it is a driver issue with Adobe Director. Please let me know if you can whether you still get any script errors with the MA (or anything else for that matter) while using the XP 2 mode. Thanks!
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby Wimblenoob » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Vic Davis wrote:Thanks for the update on this. I've been having a real problem with compatibility issues for some reason and there doesn't seem to be a consistent solution. For some players it's not an issue running in Windows 7 with no compatibility settings and for others XP 2 or Vista does the trick. I can only guess that it is a driver issue with Adobe Director. Please let me know if you can whether you still get any script errors with the MA (or anything else for that matter) while using the XP 2 mode. Thanks!

Well I just had another script error but it wasn't with using the MA, it appeared wwhen I clicked on Distribute Charge, the ability of the Atlantean Lens:

Strangely clicking yes allowed me to carry on without any issues that I could see.

Edit: This was with Xp Service pack 2 compatibility.
Wimblenoob

Postby Wimblenoob » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Still getting this script error with MA however I luckily had to save and quit not too long before so I have save file.

Testing the save I've noticed:
Safe uses of the MA:
Any door based encounter picking/bashing/chopping was safe to use an MA on.
The engine core final encounter sorcery option was safe to use the MA on.
Combat options with alien squads/dusk gaunts was fine to use the MA on.
Horror check on dusk gaunt was fine to play a MA on.

Unsafe script error:
Using any option (including the dodge spikes from failing a first dodge trap) to evade a basement (didn't test mansion floors) trap and playing a MA caused the script error.

This keeps happens no matter what compatability mode the game is set to.

Would you want me to send the save to the contact email on your main website?
Wimblenoob

Previous

Return to Ghosts In The Machine (Bug Reports)