Save bug & possible bug with the axe

If you come across a script error or gameplay bug then this is the place to report it. OR you can send me an email with a save game (even better)

Save bug & possible bug with the axe

Postby pianistamoeba » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:45 pm

1. If you include a question mark (letter "?") in the name of your save game, the game accepts your save but it doesn't actually process it. No save appears in the in-game save list, nor in the game directory. This most likely is the case with other special letters too.

2. The axe special challenge doesn't appear in the challenge box with a closed door under some conditions. I found the first bug while playing in Reaper mode and quitting the game to report this one, so no savegame, sorry. Considering the conditions, I remember I was playing in Hero difficulty, with a 5 swords, 1 cups, 1 or 2 wands and 1 pentacles build. No injuries, story states or so on that I take could block the challenge option.
pianistamoeba

Re: Save bug & possible bug with the axe

Postby Tiavals » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 am

The door problem might be due to the keyword system. Most doors are "Lock, Door" or "Lock, Reinforced Door". some are "Lock, Door, Physical Test". For the last variant, it may be that due to how the system works, the axe doesn't recognize it's ability to be used on doors since it's description lacks the Physical Test keyword. Of course, if it's "Lock, Vault", then it doesn't work because the Axe can't be used on "Vault" type doors(It lacks the proper modifiers for Vaults). This is because as far as I understand, "Lock" is the primary keyword, while "Door", "Reinforced Door", "Vault" and such are secondary keywords, and the Axe can only be used on "Door, Reinforced Door, Chest" type Locks.

This is all a hypothesis, since I have no idea how the keyword-system truly works or if the axe's keywords work like this, or if your problem is caused by a totally different reason, or a bug. But this might be the reason.
Tiavals

Postby pianistamoeba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm quite sure it was just an standard locked door one sees often on the 1st mansion level. I was thinking it might be a bug caused by my low wands/cups score preventing the "pick lock" option from appearing in the challenge dialogue, this way somehow blocking the "bash door with an axe" option button from appearing as well.
pianistamoeba

Postby Tiavals » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Normally you need a bone of swords or cups to use the axe, but I figured you said it worked on some doors, so that can't be the issue?
Tiavals

Postby pianistamoeba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 pm

To clarify, I'm speaking about the ability, that should be activated in the locked door challenge dialogue window, NOT in the trick taking minigame. I think it's called "Knock Knock",or something like that.

From GameObjects: ( OptModList: [[#smashdooraxe: [#cups, 2, #swords, 2, #cups, 2, ["Lock", "Door", "Reinforced Door", "Chest"], ["Door": -4, "Chest": -4, "Reinforced Door": -2]]]]).

As I understand, these don't require bones to activate? But I'm sure I had one anyway, since I was playing a mercenary.

EDIT: Btw, I just started a new game of Armageddon Empires after a long break, and tried to name my save game with an "?"... and the save disappeared! Is this some ancient unfound problem with Director, or is it just me having this bug? It's a minor technical problem, of course, but I guess it should be addressed, since it can be a nasty surprise for a player losing his progress.
pianistamoeba

Postby Tiavals » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Humm, I thought even those needed a Bone to activate them? But I guess they might not, I do remember using the pistol abilities without a bone of swords.
Seems like a bug, I can't see any reason for such behaviour.
Tiavals

Postby Vic Davis » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Yes, the type system is just like that. Major type must match i.e. Lock and at least one minor type must match i.e. Door.

There are cups requirements on some doors though. Did the bash door option appear if you can remember? If it did then so too should have the use Axe option.
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Postby pianistamoeba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Just reproduced this. The basic bash option doesn't appear because of apparently low cups, so I guess that was the case.
pianistamoeba

Return to Ghosts In The Machine (Bug Reports)