Amazed

General Discussion about Cryptic Comet's adventure strategy game

Amazed

Postby Danjuro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:30 am

Salutations,

Like most, I imagine, I am a long-time Vic's works fan and I just registered on the forum today, and it was quite a daunting task (that captcha was evil!).
I was originally planning to post the suggestion of adding a "suicide" option, but...

Here is the short tale of Jord Cochevelou, O.D.D.'s weasel and rogue extraordinaire.

After an awkward start, becoming quite crippled after falling onto his face right upon entering the cursed mansion, Jord experienced an unlikely streak of turns of event which made him survive well into the house. He felt comfortable, and given the opportunity, he resolved to heal his wound.
Of course, in an ironic fashion that is the ODD's ordinary, it was right after feeling finally at the full of his strength that he was promptly crippled by a lot of wounds, putting him into a state close to vegetalism.
Excepting for one thing : Jord being extraordinaire, he had accumulated so much health and sanity, he had to crawl around the mansion (I imagine pulling his whole body by the force of the couple of fingers he had left), looking desperately for the resident or trap that would put him out of his misery.
It wasn't coming. It was a long, excruciating process, and although there was some time pressure, it seemed like this agony of his could go on forever, save for some merciful insta-death.

But after a period of despair, not managing to find rest through the hands of a wandering zombie, and after surviving a few challenges, Jord geared away from the now forbidden physical realm to focus on the mystical one. And, what a surprise, he survived, and did very well : the acrobat who became an eldritch adept half-way through the trials of his first real mission almost managed to made it through, only cut short in his attempt by the redoutable deadline, on the second level of that maze of a basement.

I was already thinking the game was brilliant before, but it just keeps surprising me. What a wonderful story generator this is!
Had there been an easy "end game" option, I wouldn't have experienced this narrative. I am so thankful I did.

Best regards.
Danjuro

Re: Amazed

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 am

If you like underdogs, stay away from mentalism as a starting career. Psionics are still very much overpowered compared to magic/physical combat (although with the right build, melee weapons capable of buffing cards can be abused pretty easily).

Fun (balanced) occupations include apprentice and thief... pretty much any career that gives you 5 starting skill points offers a leg up over the ones that don't.
Frothy_mikhael

Re: Amazed

Postby Danjuro » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:11 am

I figured this much, lurking the forum : no way I try playing a winning build ;D

You are right, it seems those bonus points at start make a huge difference. Of all the various plays I did, the one that used them fared much better than any other.
Danjuro

Return to General Discussion