Thoughts and Bugs

Thoughts and Bugs

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't think the touch of gout event is producing an effect - I played it twice and didn't seem to do any damage to the target. In case I'm thinking of the wrong event, it was the one that deals exactly 2 damage.

I would like to echo the suggestions that the poker combat follow the actual Texas hold'em timing - no seeing each other's hole cards, starting with three cards, then dealing the other two one at a time, etc. I really liked the idea of retreating for free when the first cards are dealt, then ecalating costs for retreating. I thought that would add a lot of strategy to the current fights.

Also, again echoing something that others have mentioned, why are so many of the dudes outlaws? While there seem to be a fair number of gunfights, there are hardly any military/apache/lawmen/gamblers. This results in a lot of games where neither side can advance to the story cards because no one has any relevant dudes.

I would reduce the power of some of the buff cards. The one that adds +3 hitpoints should probably be toned down to +2, and the +1-4 gunfight event should probably be +2 as well, or at most +1-3. Otherwise it gets way too easy to build juggernaut dudes who can take out an entire posee by themselves. The gunfighter boss is a good example - give him one of each buff and he's virtually unstoppable. Give him two of each, then he's actually unstoppable.

A last point: when a dude is fired and returned to the deck, I think they should come back "clean" of any existing conditinos or modifiers. I had a townsfol dude with a maintenance of 5 due to events being played on her. I obviousyl fired her. It was strange to then draw her with a maintenance of five... of course I'm never going to hire her, so what's the point of even giving me the option? Better to clear any modifiers.
Frothy_mikhael

Re: Thoughts and Bugs

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Another bug - I finished the range wars special event and none of my opponents lost 5 VPs.
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:48 pm

In terms of balance, I think the Apaches need to be reworked. Right now I never ever hire them, unless I happen to get two in my hand and can thus form a possee of apaches. But that virtually never happens.

The problem is twofold - on the one hand you can't put them in possees with other dudes. This would be okay if you could accumulate apaches until you have enough to form an all-apache party. But on the other hand, because apaches have a chance of randmly deserting, you can't really accumulate them. This is compounded by how rare they are (there's 5 apache cards total I think, which is minimal). And on top of that the apache canyon is super expensive, so it's not really worth buying in the hope that you'll get a bunch of apaches down the line. And to put a cherry on top, it's not even as if the apaches are all that good compared to other cards.

So right now apaches are unused by most players, and the AI for that matter. Apache story cards never get occupied. Even if you get an apache card, why waste the $3 to create a one man posee and send it to the apache story card, knowing that it'll get dogpiled by 2-4 dude possees as soon as it arrives. And because you can't put any other dudes in with apaches, it'll be 1 v 2-4, which is a guaranteed loss.

I think there are two ways to deal with this problem. One, albeit less plausible, is to add a bunch of apaches to the game as part of an expansion. This should ideally be combined with a reduction in the cost of the canyon.

A better option, and a more realistic one, would be to switch the prohibition on mixing apache and non-apache characters with a prohibition similar to the outlaw-lawmen one. It could be no military-apache possees for example. This would impose an anti-mixing without crippling apache possees.

Finally, I think there should be an event called "blood brothers" that switches a dude's type to apache. This would help prevent apache story cards remaining blank.
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Another post,

For exammple, take Wyatt Earp and Lucien Maxwell. Earp's power is not as good as Maxwell's, because Earp just reduces upkeep, while Maxwell reduces upkeep and adds gunfight skill. In addition, most lawmen have an upkeep of 2, while all gunfighters have an upkeep of 1, so the Maxwell upkeep benefit is arguably more useful than Earp's.

Despite Earp having the weaker power, he also has a drawback (no hiring outlaws, which are the most common dude type, and who have the most common plot cards). Yet Maxwell, with his stronger power, has no drawbacks. That's not great balancing, in my opinion.

Similarly, some bosses have terrible powers. The General boss who gives +1 gunfight to townsfolk is a great example. Why do I care about that bonus? Except for the Sunday Church plot card, there is no reason to ever send your townsfolk out of your bunkhouse into battle, so this bonus is never used. There's only one case I've been able to make it work for me, and that is playing the "retired" card on my dudes so that they become townsfolk and get the +1 bonus. But that's a pretty rare event, and it disqualifies that dude from giving access to most plot cards, so even then it's a double-edged sword, rather than an unqualified benefit.

And some bosses just suck overall. Boss Snead can't be used in combat, and his power is pretty much worthless too. I play him only for a challenge, since I know the other bosses will be better than mine.

Coding new powers is obviously not on the table, so what I would suggest to balance the game would be changing the personal stats of the bosses. Bosses with good powers should have lower stats (Augustin Chacon; Lucien Maxwell), while bosses with weaker powers should have higher stats (Snead; the general; Earp). This may not be a perfect solution, since for realism's sake Snead probably shouldn't have a higher gunfight than Maxwell, but a move in this direction would be a positive one.
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 am

I've recently been experiencing a certain bug (maybe reported already) that generates those "script error" messages. I don't know what sets it off, but I do know what it causes, since every time I get a script error, there is a dude with 0 health somewhere on the board. So it seems like something in the game bugs out during a battle and forgets to kill off a dude. That dude can be killed as normal - play an wounding event and he dies, for instance. And I also think the 0 hp dudes can heal back up to full health, but that needs confirmation.
Frothy_mikhael

Return to General Discussion