Did anyone else even notice the July 1 blog post?

Did anyone else even notice the July 1 blog post?

Postby screeg » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Blog

So Vic has basically said he's not going to modify the combat mechanic. About 80% of the feedback here from beta testers has suggested (sometimes drastic) changes to the card-playing combat mechanic.

I'm disappointed, and frankly I don't see the game taking off with a wider, non-Cryptic-Comet-fanbase audience in its present state.
screeg

Re: Did anyone else even notice the July 1 blog post?

Postby Vic Davis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:16 pm

I do realize that a lot of people would like a crunchy tactical experience with the the gun battles. I'm mulling over adding some more ways to influence that outcomes but I really don't want to create a more multi-step interaction at this point. I literally spent 4 or so months trying to get one working based on a poker bidding mechanic and I'm not eager to go back and try that again. I really wanted the focus to be more on the resource management choices with the cards and the strategies for going after VP's based on the story cards and who was/was not occupying them. I'm sorry to disappoint on this. SGS is meant to be a lightweight compared to AE and SI. Like a destroyer compared to a dreadnaught. :)
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Re: Did anyone else even notice the July 1 blog post?

Postby Grudunza » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm one of the people who was hoping for changes to the combat, but after reading Vic's blog post...

I am toying around with incorporating a system of cards that can be played to place combat modifiers on hole cards played to a posse. Right now I’m calling them Edges ala The Outlaw Josey Whales and a slew of other game systems. They would add mechanics modifiers like ensuring that both sides take some damage, or some damage is negated etc.

...I think that would be a big help. The main thing I've harped on is that there should be the possibility for damage to both sides, so if this could implement that, even in a very basic way, then great. I really don't think that making it a more involved or complex combat system would be right for the game, as it is more about the optimization of the cards and too much focus on combat would be a distraction to that. But anything that could improve the combat outcomes and add a little more tactical choice to it would be good.
Grudunza

Return to General Discussion