some ideas: no VP for killing dudes? etc.

some ideas: no VP for killing dudes? etc.

Postby Severian » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Just wanted to bounce some ideas off the community and Vic. As is, I find this game a little too easy and a little too narrow strategically. Build up an uber-stack, dominate story cards, kill those weak posses the AI throws against you. You probability of failure is determined by how quickly you can get that uber-stack into play (and how long your game is set for), as well as whether your economy can handle it. Vic's most recent update makes some slight fixes to this, as leadership values of Outlaws were reduced (I think), making uberstacks of bad guys harder to generate. But I think the game needs to push further in this direction, and here are some radical ideas:

1. No VP's granted for killing dudes. If you could only get VP's from sitting on story cards, it would benefit you to have multiple posses in play on separate story cards. As is, your best strategy is to have 1 or 2 uber-posses, dominating story cards one at a time. Your uber-posse will accumulate many more VP's from killing dudes than from the story card.

2. Eliminate the VP-value of dudes. Make it so that you only get 1 VP/posse for each turn you spend on a story card. You can have more than 1 posse on a story card. Story cards have a max of 3-5 VP's. The victory requirements are significantly less (10 VP to win the game). Again, this would increase the usefulness of many small posses. However, the uber-posse strategy would still be viable, since you'd feel safer. This change would also have the benefit of simplifying the cards, eliminating a statistic that I rarely pay attention to anyways.

3. Make smaller posses more mobile? Movement in part dictated by the # of dudes in a posse?

4. Have more event cards that screw with big posses. For example, "Target a posse with a total gunfight value of 7 or higher: this bad thing happens to them." Or, have events that benefit small posses.

I doubt all these would be necessary at once, but I'd like to see some variability in the strategic space: do I go for 1-2 big posses that can push people around and easily win fights, or 3-5 small posses that can collect VP's at a faster rate? This would almost be like turtle (or boom) vs. rush. As is, uber-possess have all the benefits and few negatives.
Severian

Re: some ideas: no VP for killing dudes? etc.

Postby ManwithNoName » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 am

Well, thing is there are cards to screw over those big posses'. One of them being sending the highest gunfight dude back to the bunkhouse. Another is the lynching cards and then those wound cards from 1 to 4 or the solid 3 wounds and of course the ones I hate the most those 1 to 3 upkeep increase cards. I've had the ai play these on my super stacks many times and ruin my plans at quick victory points from a story card. There are also cards that reduce VP on a card by 3 and these can greatly screw over super stacks.
After installing that mod I found the challenge has greatly increased and the ai is definitely more powerful with its stacks.
Final point, even with a super stack you can still lose battles. I've had stacks of 17+ vs 4 and even though I won the battle and killed the dude I still didn't win the card game. So, I'm stuck in my middle ground for another turn not collecting any victory points unless I have another stack ready to move in. I'm pretty satisfied with the victory point setup of the game. What the game needs most is some sort of interaction in the gunfights. Remove the lopsidedness of the combat outcome. Although I do like that the little posse can still keep the big guy from getting the story card by winning the card game.
Plus, the ai does enough aggitating when I'm ahead to keep up in many battles and slow me down a bunch. We're going to win, I accept that, just as long as I'm not going to win everytime I play and the ai is challenging enough even when I win to enjoy those games. I've had games where I've won on the very last turn and those were the best.
ManwithNoName

Postby Severian » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:46 pm

All of those cards you mention would affect small stacks just as much as large stacks.

What mod are you talking about?

I agree that some more interactiveness in gunfights would be nice, but there are other threads on that topic.

ManwithNoName wrote:Well, thing is there are cards to screw over those big posses'. One of them being sending the highest gunfight dude back to the bunkhouse. Another is the lynching cards and then those wound cards from 1 to 4 or the solid 3 wounds and of course the ones I hate the most those 1 to 3 upkeep increase cards. I've had the ai play these on my super stacks many times and ruin my plans at quick victory points from a story card. There are also cards that reduce VP on a card by 3 and these can greatly screw over super stacks.
After installing that mod I found the challenge has greatly increased and the ai is definitely more powerful with its stacks.
Final point, even with a super stack you can still lose battles. I've had stacks of 17+ vs 4 and even though I won the battle and killed the dude I still didn't win the card game. So, I'm stuck in my middle ground for another turn not collecting any victory points unless I have another stack ready to move in. I'm pretty satisfied with the victory point setup of the game. What the game needs most is some sort of interaction in the gunfights. Remove the lopsidedness of the combat outcome. Although I do like that the little posse can still keep the big guy from getting the story card by winning the card game.
Plus, the ai does enough aggitating when I'm ahead to keep up in many battles and slow me down a bunch. We're going to win, I accept that, just as long as I'm not going to win everytime I play and the ai is challenging enough even when I win to enjoy those games. I've had games where I've won on the very last turn and those were the best.
Severian

Postby ManwithNoName » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

What mod are you talking about?

http://www.filefactory.com/f/74ad8ae914531455/

Been out awhile now and is pretty good.
ManwithNoName

Return to General Discussion