Play card as poker value

Re: Play card as poker value

Postby Donegal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Maybe a good solution would be:
-Poker cards aren't gone after a combat. A posse can have a maximum of poker cards attached (maybe 2 or 3 ,or maybe no limit?)
-In a battle the player can choose free amongst the poker cards in the posse and the two cards drawn. He can only choose two of then

I think the poker cards are more useful this way
Donegal

Postby Matchstickman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Donegal wrote:Maybe a good solution would be:
-Poker cards aren't gone after a combat. A posse can have a maximum of poker cards attached (maybe 2 or 3 ,or maybe no limit?)
-In a battle the player can choose free amongst the poker cards in the posse and the two cards drawn. He can only choose two of then

I think the poker cards are more useful this way

I might be misunderstanding you but having a free pair in the hole forever would definately skew the poker odds, the posse with pocket aces would almost always beat any other posse, not my idea of fun. (assuming a limit of 2 cards)
Matchstickman

Postby Azeltir » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:41 am

I think a better solution would be that hole-cards last until the start of your next turn. Then you're protected from AI suicide charges while also avoiding game-breaking eternal Ace pairs.
Azeltir

Postby Diablo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I play the cards from the dudes hands when there's big powerful stacks out there on the board. I find the guys that give the K's aren't that useful for anything else and I'll plop those after I get out of my starting box (waste if you get hit by an ambush as if/when you have a large stack chances of you losing to an ambush are nil to none and you still lose your cards). Once I'm in the middle just before the story cards is when I place mine. High pairs and suited cards do the best for me. I get stomping good hands like 3 of a kind or a flush or full house. Even when I don't get any help on the flop I have a high pair and the ai gets junk most of the time. It occassionally uses a card but I've not seen it use a pair or two suited yet in its hole.

It does though make it seem unfair to the ai to be able to stack the deck sotospeak with your hole cards. One could easily make it a house rule never to use them and just let the ai use it when it does since it's not that often. You couldn't do this in a real poker game without getting killed if you got caught or beat up awful badly so it's probably better all around not to use it unless you're waaaaay behind in vp's and want to make a stabbing run at winning from behind.
Diablo

Previous

Return to General Discussion