"Seek out Curiosities" and How to Get Manuscripts?

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

"Seek out Curiosities" and How to Get Manuscripts?

Postby mehoo462 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Does seek out curiosities actually work? Every time I've used this order I've still gotten more tribute than manuscripts. I'd say about 40% of the time I get nothing but junk tribute cards, let alone a manuscript, let alone a manuscript I can use.

How does one get manuscripts reliably? Is "Seek out Curiosities" related to your tribute roll at all? I've had a pretty hefty tribute roll and still no luck here. How does one ever assemble machines?

Any advice on how to play the manuscript game and not lose hard? Or just any insight into how these things are calculated? Thanks.
mehoo462

Re: "Seek out Curiosities" and How to Get Manuscripts?

Postby Dinger » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 am

How to play the Ms game:
1. Go superfat. Have a CHA-heavy starting build, and build out. CHA 3 is a nice minimum.
2. Boost your tribute roll. Infernal Cardinal is a nice perk to have. Collector of curiosities works as well. 'Obscure' is devil-speak for 'illiterate'
3. Relics. Take +1 Diabolism boosts (Faust's Contract) and tribute enhancers (Iron Maiden, Talisman of Greed, Beliit = the talisman is equal to CoC and IC, and Beliit is awesome.
4. The Bazaar stationarius sells Ms peciae cheap.
5. Seek out curiosities only on the first roll.
Dinger

Postby potatoedoughnut » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Typically you need a high +tribute roll and/or +ms bonuses to get many manuscripts. Doing seek curiosities with just 3 cha and no other bonuses won't get you many manuscripts.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
potatoedoughnut

Postby mehoo462 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

So, what I'm hearing is that manuscripts is basically an all or nothing strategy? Either you boost your tribute/ms score through the roof and you might get something, or you just don't bother with them...

Is this correct?

Also, I read somewhere that having parts of a manuscript increase your chances of getting the rest of it. Is this true?
mehoo462

Postby Dinger » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Another way to put it: if you start seeing manuscripts in your tribute, then it's probably worthwhile to "seek out curiosities", if that's what you're into.

As with all SI strategies, once you decide to switch onto MSS, you gotta go full burn.

Yes, your minions will try to get you quires of texts for which you already have other parts.
Dinger

Postby mehoo462 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:30 am

I you "start seeing manuscripts in your tribute" it's probably best to go see a doctor.
mehoo462

Postby khamul » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am

I've done quite a bit of experimentation with this now.

Diabolism 5 is pretty much a minimum for 'seek out curiosities'. The +50% manuscripts on the Talisman of Greed makes a big difference too.

I've had a lot of luck with a demand of supplication, and 'seek curiosities' in every subsequent order. Fill all the order slots, even if you've got 4 or 5 of them.
Don't try this without at least Diabolism 5, at least +4 to tribute rolls, and one of collector of curiosities perk, or Talisman of Greed. I tried this with Diabolism 7, the perk, the talisman, and the Belit (I think), and got 4 or 5 manuscripts on each of 4 tribute demands. Completed 2 machines, a couple of praetor moves, one legion training, and a rite.

As posted above, if you want to go for machines, you pretty much have to go all-out. Once you've got CHA reasonably high, however, 1 or 2 'seek curiosity' rolls for a few turns can still be a good way to pick up praetor moves, or complete a rite that you've already got 1 or 2 bits of.

It's not clear what the underlying roll is: it's clearly strongly tied to Diabolism, seems to be less strongly tied to tribute roll, and it's not clear how 'seek curiosities' effects it. Feels like the overall odds are reasonably low, so quantity has a quality of it's own. 3 bad rolls are more likely to give you a manuscript than one good one. I'd say that there's some sort of suppression effect on normal tribute demands, to make sure that you don't get 5 manuscripts when what you want is souls & darkness. My guess is that 'seek curiosities' turns this off, lowers the modifier on the tribute roll, and maybe affects the base roll for manuscripts slightly - whatever that is.
khamul

Postby amoshias » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:52 pm

Just as an add-on to the previous post - I have definitely played a "manuscript" build, where I was generating prestige by completing a machine per turn, on average. High charisma, collector of curiosities and infernal cardinal, spend the early game banking resources so that you can always buy any important relic (tribute/diabolism relics and Bowl of Abject Darkness) and get your extra order slots ASAP. I doubt this would work against humans but it was fun as hell against the computer.
amoshias

Postby Jow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 am

is there any value at buying a manuscript here and there, and what are the odds of getting the rest you need for a completion? I keep toying with the idea of buying them because they ARE so cheap, but I'm loathe to waste orders on stuff I'll never be able to complete.
Jow

Postby khamul » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Jow wrote:is there any value at buying a manuscript here and there, and what are the odds of getting the rest you need for a completion? I keep toying with the idea of buying them because they ARE so cheap, but I'm loathe to waste orders on stuff I'll never be able to complete.

Allegedly, the system for picking manuscripts as tribute favours sets you already have.

I don't have any hard stats for this, but it seems correct to me. When playing a manuscript-heavy build, I reckon I'll get manuscripts that add to a set I've already got one of about 50% to 75% of the time. The problem is, of course, that the other 50% to 25% are adding new sets to my pool - so you do complete sets, but you also start sets at a fairly high rate, and the chance of completing any particular set in a given number of turns is still relatively low.

That's for manuscripts delivered under 'seek curiosities'. I'd say that the weighting for 'demand tribute' is even more towards completing existing sets, but because you get less cards this way, it's harder to tell.

You get more new cards when you've got less manuscripts to begin with, I think, but again, hard to tell.

Because tribute tends to turn up cards from sets you already have, buying a manuscript from a set you really want can be a good move to try to 'seed' more drops from that set.
khamul

Next

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel