Tactics: Single Combat

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

Re: Tactics: Single Combat

Postby John Mc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:56 pm

Yea, Phenex is terrible for Single Combat. Honestly, I would never bother to use him for it. Better to concede the Prestige points, but keep Phenex for your Legions and avoid leveling up your opponent.

Still you seem to have caught the jist of how you'd have to use Phenex. He's the underdog, so you'd have to front-load everything you've got and hope for a lucky win. Terrible odds though.

Naphula is okay but not great. She relies on Infernal Burst, which is very risky. She could theoretically beat any other Preator, but it's only likely if they've got low HP. Sure she might win once or twice, but without some serious help she's going to lose eventually.
John Mc

Postby darkelf732 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Anyone have any combat moves preferences/experience they want to share?

I find Vile Oath of Consumption to be the most overpowered if you can get the 3 manuscripts. Someone who is good at statistics can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it works out to 5 damage per 2 points of infernal the praetor has. So if you have the 6 required orbs your starting at 15 damage, and it just gets stronger from there.

Demonic Trance seems like overkill. By the time you get it to the point where it will work 50%+ of the time, you tend to not need it.
darkelf732

Postby Thrull » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Basically it sounds like skulls are by far the most valuable resource, followed by HP (without considering individual combat move needs). And it seems luck will not do you much good if you don't have enough skulls to put your opponent down first, since it only works on offense if there's a skull to activate it.

How valuable would you guys say luck actually is? I saw somewhere someone saying luck was worth 5 of any other points, but that seems like a lot to me. Maybe 1 luck is worth 3 of something else? If there are six combat phases, and luck contributes on average half a point to each (50% chance per luck of 1 luck contribution), then 3 points makes sense to me (6 x 0.5).
Thrull

Postby John Mc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I've previously suggested that 1 Luck = 2 Skulls and 3 Shields, which is based on the same math you just did. However, I agree that it's less controllable and less dependable.

I don't know how good luck is. I tend to go for the Praetors with 2 Luck, but they tend to have other stats to back it up anyways. There aren't any 1 Luck Praetors I'd be excited to have in Single Combat. Most of them are plain bad. The Luck 3 Praetors are decent, but risky. I've seen them work well and I've seen them fail completely. So they're decent, but not exciting. Most of the good Praetors are Luck 2, so I don't stress that too much.
John Mc

Postby Spartacus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:35 pm

In a head to head build, Skulls are probably worth the most because it's predictable, and it'll wear down your enemies. Luck ties into attacks with Skulls, so more luck means higher damage. It's not as important if you manage to pull a Rain of Brimstone and Demonic Trance, for example. Considering how hard it is to pull the correct manuscript out of 80+, it's certainly the most useful the majority of the time.

If you're going after Champion of Pandemonium, those praetors never change and use their skills in roughly the same order. The Butcher front loads, Queen of the Damned uses defensive moves first and tries to redirect damage with Oath of Retribution (x3 damage return, enough to one hit a praetor), Grey Knight sets up some defense then pummels you, Balrog hits spells first then physical, I think. You'll be champion of Pandemonium after that, but if you can take down all four champions you probably have nothing to worry about, not counting two superbuffs + levels from battling.

Three(ish) super buffs, In Dreadful Deeds Fearless, Annointed of Ash and Tournament of Champions - some of them also raise luck. If you have all of these, it's nearly guaranteed that you won't lose your praetor, unless a Banish ritual manages to pull through.

Favorite move - Tentacle Rupture. Load defensive moves first, as many blocks as possible, then hit with Tentacle Rupture (3 damage per prior combat move performed during this round) for guaranteed 15-18 damage, forget if it counts the current turn.
Spartacus

Postby John Mc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Alright I've got all the Combat Moves listed in the first post, but I haven't actually written up tactics for them. That will be a project for the next couple days. I'm thinking of removing the descriptions of the effects and just telling everyone to look them up. With this Google Document it isn't hard to do.
John Mc

Postby John Mc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Finished off the section on Combat Moves. That's everything. I'll update as needed, but we should have the bases covered.
John Mc

Postby NecRus888 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi, guys! Can you explain me how "Impale" works? with example pls))))
NecRus888

Postby John Mc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 pm

It's like Guarded Attack, except for the following: A) You can assign up to 7 Skulls and 6 Shields. B) If you deal damage with Skulls then you also deal bonus damage = Shields - Opponent Skulls.

Example:

Praetor A uses Impale with 7 Skulls and 6 Shields.

Praetor B uses Guarded Attack with 4 Skulls and 3 Shields.

No Luck on either side. (I'm hazy on how luck works here, it might just add to Skulls and Shields for both sides.)

Praetor A deals 4 damage from extra Skulls and 2 damage from extra Shields. Praetor B deals no damage.
John Mc

Postby Spartacus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 am

Combing over the manual again, I've found the following:

Manual wrote:Luck: All Praetors have a Luck attribute, which is a single digit number used for a Luck Roll. A Luck Roll is a random number between zero and the Luck attribute. (For example, a Luck of 2 can generate a random number between 0 and 2.) Luck Rolls are added to any combat moves based on Skulls or Shields. Combat moves based on Orbs do direct damage and are not affected by Luck.

Manual wrote:Melee Defense: This move may be augmented by one to five Shields. When compared to the opponent’s move in their corresponding Combat Slot, this move may block hit point damage against your Praetor. The blocked hit point damage is equal to the number of allotted Shields plus a random roll of your Praetor’s Luck.

Manual wrote:Infernal Burst: This move must be allotted three Orbs for execution. It does 1d6 damage directly to your opponent’s hit points.No Luck can mitigate this damage, however some exotic combat moves can block or absorb the damage from Infernal Bursts.

Manual wrote:Note: Some combat moves grant added damage when certain conditions are met.This damage CAN be blocked by unused Shields and Luck working on behalf of the defender. When successful, the bonus damage granted by the combat move acts as a virtual bonus Skull because it adds damage yet costs nothing extra to perform.

Assuming this is completely correct (I see no reason why not, we haven't encountered many bugs if any in Praetor Combat) Shields are affected by Luck, and you should be doing guarded attacks only.
Spartacus

PreviousNext

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel