Tip: Don't run out of Prestige

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

Tip: Don't run out of Prestige

Postby John Mc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Early in the game it's easy to run out of Prestige. You only start with 10 and 2 Insults will clean you out.

If you run out of Prestige and don't have any Places of Power or Relics with regular Prestige income, you have dug yourself a very deep hole.

TIP: Always try to have at least one Place of Power. However, if you don't have one do not run out of Prestige.

It's very hard to generate Prestige if you don't have any to work with. A Place of Power (or Prestige generating Relic) will bring you back from 0, but almost nothing else will. You'll have to wait for an opponent to make a Demand of you before you can do anything to produce Prestige. Even then they'll likely defeat you in a Vendetta and send you back to 0. I've seen poor bastards spend 20 turns waiting for even that small opportunity. When they finally come back into the game, they'll be facing people with a 100 Prestige advantage or more. Don't let this happen to you.
John Mc

Re: Tip: Don't run out of Prestige

Postby protobob » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 pm

What about maxing out charisma and making burnt offerings?
protobob

Postby pokie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Protobob, that's a very expensive upgrade. Even if you start with 4 charisma, by the time you can upgrade it to 6 you will probably be too far behind in prestige to win.
pokie

Postby Maxim » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:22 pm

happened to me - it ain't fun

and in my first game I wondered what 2 of the AIs did with 0 prestige on their charts...
Maxim

Postby Mister44 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:10 am

You should be able to save up some tribute cards and buy a prestige generating item to place in your stronghold or a ritual slot. A lot faster than trying to build up to using Burnt Offerings.
Mister44

Postby Diablo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:51 pm

There are plenty of prestige cards in the relic bin usually, at least 4 that I can think of off the top of my head. But, that doesn't mean you will get them even if you have the proper amount of cards and points in your hand. There are just some players that will buy everything good up out of the bazaar you can't get anything. If you are a cunning player this would help at least attempt to steal them at level 4 I believe it is?
Diablo

Postby John Mc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:38 pm

In my (limited) multiplayer experience, all + Prestige Relics get purchased. Yes, I would make purchasing one a high priority if I didn't have any PoPs, but I'm currently in a game with 2 players who have neither PoPs or +Prestige Relics, nor are there any in the Bazaar. It can happen.

You can't steal Relics until Cunning 5. If you're ever in a game and you need Cunning 5 or Charisma 6 to get back in the game, that's a bad position. Don't be surprised if you're the underdog by 200 Prestige.
John Mc

Postby tgb » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Happened to me in my first PBEM game, and I've been so screwed.......
tgb

Postby Dreamteam » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:43 am

John Mc wrote:If you run out of Prestige and don't have any Places of Power or Relics with regular Prestige income, you have dug yourself a very deep hole.

Honestly, if this happens to you, imo it is best to just forget about trying to go for a prestige win (the game is just too short for any realistic chance to catch up with someone who is pulling in an average of 4 or 5 prestige per turn) and instead concentrate on preparing yourself for a strong usurper game. As everyone knows, the real fight in the end centers on Excommunication, who makes a bid to control Pandemonium, and the subsequent rush to capture/defend strongholds :twisted:

Some advantages of not having any prestige:
1) No one is going to bother insulting you (well some clever joe might try... once), because you have nothing to loose by simply accepting the insult.
2) You don't need to worry about having a strong praetor for the arena, since no one is going to challenge your praetors to single combat. You have nothing to loose by refusing the challenge.
3) No need to respond to the conclaves demands for tribute, armies, items or whatever. You risk nothing.
4) When the Beast goes on a rampage, it won't be your PoP that he destroys. You have none.
5) No need to spend order slots on demands and insults, nor with wishy-washy moving around armies jockying for position. You camp next to your stronghold and bide your time. Thus you can concentrate on growing your economy, leveling up, and collecting armies, praetors, and artifacts. When the endgame comes and all hell breaks loose, you will be well prepared.

Things you need to be aware of:
1) Some demons equate prestige with power, and they will look at you with contempt and greed. Thus it is important that you have an impressive defense so as to dissuade your immediate neighbors with delusions of conquest from spamming you with tribute demands in order to start a war. If they want war, let them come and try.
2) You will probably have less chance to level up your legions through conflict, unless someone else starts it. So you need to be more careful about keeping legions in supporting positions matched with well suited praetors, artifacts and strong combat cards.
3) As your power grows, your Archrival's contempt for your lack of prestige will turn to fear and envy of your strong avatar and military. Thus you may be the prefered target for theft, coersion and bribery as well as Infernal Affliction. Look to increase your forces' resistances against such spells.
4) You may become the prefered target of an excomminication event. Don't wait too long to collect some decent legions, praetors and at least a few artifacts, so you don't get caught flat-footed when you can no longer shop at the bazzar.

Things to remember:
Bide your time and build yourself up. You don't have as many slots to hold artifacts as you would have with a few friendly PoP, so you need to watch what you buy at the bazzar. Prestige has absolutely no influence on your ability (or inability) to have a strong avatar, army and economy. When the endgame gets hot (and it always does) you must be prepared to seize the moment and aggressively pursue your bid for the Throne, even through Excomunication and Usurpation if neccesary.
Dreamteam

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel