Public Objectives

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

Re: Public Objectives

Postby garvoid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 am

how do you eat souls?
garvoid

Postby John Mc » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:08 am

garvoid wrote:how do you eat souls?

Go to Orders->Manage Objectives-> Consume Souls
John Mc

Postby garvoid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:55 pm

thanks!
garvoid

Postby Stupendipity » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:53 am

Lust is my favourite public objective. Since only 1 or 2 people can achieve it and it gives fiend points it should lead to great big conflicts over those two meaty PoPs.
Stupendipity

Postby b0rsuk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 am

HumbleSloth wrote:Anyone have thought on public objectives? Whatever you have to say. :)

I just finished my first game going for gluttony and it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble.

I think it's not just Gluttony, and not just public objectives either ! I think prestige they generate is so low compared to other sources (Places of Power and Relics in particular) they're not worth focusing on. One way of fixing this would be making them a percentage boost ! Imagine this:

at the end of the game,

prestige = prestige + max(30, prestige/100 * 30)

So you'd get 30 points of Prestige, or your Prestige multiplied by 1.3, depending on which is higher.

John Mc wrote:
garvoid wrote:how do you eat souls?

Go to Orders->Manage Objectives-> Consume Souls

Huh ? I assumed every soul used for Increase Avatar Attribute counts towards the objective ! It would certainly make sense.
b0rsuk

Postby John Mc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:43 pm

b0rsuk wrote:Huh ? I assumed every soul used for Increase Avatar Attribute counts towards the objective ! It would certainly make sense.

You have to Consume the Souls for no other purpose than your Gluttony. Everything else is just spending or using Souls. In other words, if your Soul consumption isn't wasteful, then you aren't Gluttonous.
John Mc

Postby b0rsuk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:44 pm

John Mc wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:Huh ? I assumed every soul used for Increase Avatar Attribute counts towards the objective ! It would certainly make sense.

You have to Consume the Souls for no other purpose than your Gluttony. Everything else is just spending or using Souls. In other words, if your Soul consumption isn't wasteful, then you aren't Gluttonous.

I understand it can be justified this way. But don't you think having to spend 35 (or any other number) of souls on stat upgrades is constraining enough ? Imagine you start right to a nasty but physically miserable archfiend. Upon identifying him as such, any other player would have an option to bid on some legions and/or praetors and attack him frontally. A player with Gluttony, however, would have to beat that player the hard way.
Don't you think it's constricting enough ?

According to the manual, Burn Offerings yields +10 Prestige per sacrificed tribute card, but can be used only once per turn. So you have to burn 3 cards over 3 turns to get the equivalent of Gluttony. To be fair, I have no clue how much Burnt Offerings ritual costs...
b0rsuk

Postby John Mc » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:33 pm

b0rsuk wrote:But don't you think having to spend 35 (or any other number) of souls on stat upgrades is constraining enough ?

No I don't. That's not a constraint, that's something that many strategies do anyways.

b0rsuk wrote:Imagine you start right to a nasty but physically miserable archfiend. Upon identifying him as such, any other player would have an option to bid on some legions and/or praetors and attack him frontally. A player with Gluttony, however, would have to beat that player the hard way.
Don't you think it's constricting enough ?

Again sorry, I disagree completely. A player with Gluttony can do whatever he wants for 3/4 of the game and then worry about the objective at the end.

b0rsuk wrote:According to the manual, Burn Offerings yields +10 Prestige per sacrificed tribute card, but can be used only once per turn. So you have to burn 3 cards over 3 turns to get the equivalent of Gluttony. To be fair, I have no clue how much Burnt Offerings ritual costs...

I'm not sure about that manual quote, but Burnt Offerings costs something like 10 Souls and 5 of each of the other types. The thing is, it isn't Gluttony or Burnt Offerings, if you're doing one you're probably doing both.
John Mc

Postby b0rsuk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:27 pm

John Mc wrote:
b0rsuk wrote:But don't you think having to spend 35 (or any other number) of souls on stat upgrades is constraining enough ?

No I don't. That's not a constraint, that's something that many strategies do anyways.

I think no-brainers are bad game design. Especially in a strategy game. This game seems to have a lot of them. If Vic intends to keep things as they are, my interest in this game diminishes.
b0rsuk

Postby jeanpaolo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:43 am

I've played twice against AI where I was in 2nd place with 3-4 conclave tokens left. The difference between the leader's and my prestige was around ~150. Believe me, having an easy public objective (gluttony on cha3) was the only reason I won in the end. I knew I had more cantons and just needed one extra secret objective to bag the game.

@ b0rsuk: I don't know why it was constraining in a bad way for you. Achieving gluttony must be a separate objective, otherwise any archfiend who prefers to build up their stats will just choose gluttony. Kill two birds with one stone. For that problem with the archfiend you described, remember you don't have to do gluttony until the very last few turns. By that time I think you'd have boosted your stats enough that gettting 35 souls isn't much of an effort.

As for the other public objectives, I've tried using lust, but its very random. If the PoP was on the other side of hell, between two archfiends, then for me that's 30 prestige down the drain.

As Hamram said, it would be nice if the public objectives would have other effects throughout the game.

Finally, 40-45 prestige should be the default for most public objectives. 30 isn't much of a game changer especially with secret objectives added in.
jeanpaolo

PreviousNext

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel