Public Objectives

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

Public Objectives

Postby HumbleSloth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Anyone have thought on public objectives? Whatever you have to say. :)

I just finished my first game going for gluttony and it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble. I didn't complete the objective, but even if I had I think my time gathering and eating those souls would have been better spent on other prestige generating activities. I got most of my prestige by insulting demons far from me that didn't want to have to tangle with my champion praetor. An insult earns me 8 prestige, so it would only take 4 extra insults in the game to be worth more than the objective. Plus the insults are bringing my opponents down also.

So if I played with gluttony (or greed since it seems pretty similar) I would just think of it as a back up plan in case I wasn't having luck generating prestige in other ways.
HumbleSloth

Re: Public Objectives

Postby Flop » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:46 pm

I agree with you that the public objectives often aren't worth pursuing, although that can be hard to judge until the mid- or late game. I'd like to see them give a bit more prestige, maybe around 50. Same thing with secret objectives.

Lust seems to be very popular. I'm currently in an mp game, in which 3 out of 6 players have gluttony. It's still pretty early in the game, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether they're going to clash over the PoP's, or whether one or more of them are going to ignore the objective.

edit: changed gluttony to lust, since that's what I was talking about. :)
Last edited by Flop on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flop

Postby twentyeighth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I had selected Lust back when it cost -5 points during avatar creation. That is, it gave you five extra points to distribute. So far I ignore my public objective unless it naturally falls my direction. It helped me on one of my AI games, but probably won't make a big difference to my current multiplayer one.
twentyeighth

Postby John Mc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:19 am

Well it's weird. I've mostly got experience playing against the AI, which has been improved lately. Right now my high score is 998 Prestige. In those terms, 30 isn't a big deal. Still I tend to have extra Orders and Tribute at the end of the game, so I've always completed my objectives. Against AI though, I might as well take Lust, since I usually conquer all the PoPs anyways. :P

I'll have to see against humans though. 30 Prestige might make a difference. I know that you get to the end of the game and you don't have much need to build up forces any more. With 5 turns left you might as well sink all your Souls in Gluttony for the extra points. You'll be Insulting and what not at the same time, but that won't be all your Orders.
John Mc

Postby Cryle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:42 am

envy needs to be looked at - right now you get like 100 tribute cards on the way to it so you might as well just get greed.
Cryle

Postby HumbleSloth » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:55 am

I just played my second game with gluttony and failed on it again. I started working on it with 12/15 conclave tokens, 3 diabolism, and averaging 2 of my 3 actions/turn demanding tribute. So to make it I think I'd need to start working around 10/15 conclave tokens or have higher diabolism. My diabolism got knocked down two or three times that game, but my impression is that is not terribly uncommon.

At the end I didn't have anything better to be doing, but I sunk a lot of actions into it, so it might have been worth it to get another combat praetor and try to double down on my insult tossing.
HumbleSloth

Postby John Mc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Cryle wrote:envy needs to be looked at - right now you get like 100 tribute cards on the way to it so you might as well just get greed.

Personally I don't take Envy because it's a big sign saying "Hey guys! I'm the one doing the Deceit Rituals! Even if you don't know who did it, assume it was me." Also, like you said, Greed is pretty easy.

It's worth mentioning that Pride is total crap. Never take it. 10 Prestige isn't worth 6 Fiend Points. Better to take Lust and hope to get lucky. Maybe you don't get the 30 Prestige for Lust, maybe you do, but you definitely get +3 Fiend Points instead of -3.

While 3 Diabolism and Gluttony aren't mutually exclusive, it really does work best with 5 Diabolism. Personally I haven't had a problem so far though. I always favor grabbing Souls from my Tribute, and I like to keep spare Tribute around for emergencies, so I usually have 15 Souls by the time I'm even thinking about consuming them. We'll see though. I'm currently playing a game with Gluttony where I happen to have the Lust objective by chance. Might end up regretting that. (Or I might win by 100 points and say "Meh, who needs Public Objectives?" :P )
John Mc

Postby Xenomath » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 pm

John Mc wrote:
Cryle wrote:It's worth mentioning that Pride is total crap. Never take it. 10 Prestige isn't worth 6 Fiend Points. Better to take Lust and hope to get lucky. Maybe you don't get the 30 Prestige for Lust, maybe you do, but you definitely get +3 Fiend Points instead of -3.

Yea, I wonder why it has decreased prestige bonus AND increased cost.

I presonally would prefer if the the objectives would all cost the same, so you pick them by play style
and not to minmax your attributes/perks by defaulting to lust...
Xenomath

Postby John Mc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Yea, it would probably be better if the Public Objectives were worth more Prestige and/or didn't involve Fiend Points. In fact, Lust could provide more Prestige than Wrath if it's really harder, which would balance better.
John Mc

Postby Hamram » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:50 pm

I would love if the objectives had a deeper effect on your archfiends nature/playstyle and if the effects were non-static.

Gluttonous fiends might be able to trade souls for prestige points, envious gaining prestige whenever they take something from the enemy, and wrath demons if they destroy enemy legions or praetors. Some off this overlaps with the perks and attributes but I think this change would be beneficial and interesting.
Hamram

Next

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel