Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby 9Jack9 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 pm

I've got a question about the three related vendettas that take place on the board map: destroying a set number of legions, taking an enemy's place of power(s), and taking a net increase of the enemy's cantons.

Do the conditions of one vendetta invalidate another? For example, if I declare vendetta -- specifically, that I'm going to take a certain number of the enemy's cantons -- does that mean that I cannot also take an enemy's place of power during that period of vendetta? Will I be physically prevented in the game from doing so?

This will be an important question on a match I've recently started; one nearby competitor's place of power is surrounded by impenetrable barriers on two sides, so the only path to a larger portion of the map is through that place of power.

I'm also wondering about the possibility for obfuscation of your goals -- for example, declaring that you're going to take cantons for a vendetta and then making a sneak attack on an enemy's place of power or casting destruction rituals on his legions, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.
9Jack9
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby Matchstickman » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:07 am

9Jack9 wrote:Do the conditions of one vendetta invalidate another? For example, if I declare vendetta -- specifically, that I'm going to take a certain number of the enemy's cantons -- does that mean that I cannot also take an enemy's place of power during that period of vendetta? Will I be physically prevented in the game from doing so?

Nope, you can kill&capture to your heart's content, it just wont count towards whatever your vendetta goal is.

9Jack9 wrote:I'm also wondering about the possibility for obfuscation of your goals -- for example, declaring that you're going to take cantons for a vendetta and then making a sneak attack on an enemy's place of power or casting destruction rituals on his legions, etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

When you start a vendetta you know what your goals are, no one else does; the others get a message stating you are waging a vendetta (and one on completion or fail) but not what the goal is, only you get the messages telling you how close you are to completing it.
Last edited by Matchstickman on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matchstickman
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Centre of the Wastes (London)

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby purporc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:08 am

Yes, there is the freedom within the normal vendetta to take more than your declared goals. The opponent's cantons and PoPs alike are fair game and all the destruction rituals are allowed too (corruption of essence etc.). The only rule is that legions cannot attack the archfiend's stronghold. You can ritualize their stronghold if it seemed useful though.

Of course the relaxation of restrictions is reciprocal. The last vendetta I pursued to destroy 1 Legion ended with my best PoP overrun and personal legion stranded far from home. I was delighted when the vendetta timer ran out. :lol:

The opponent is not informed of the duration or goal of the vendetta. So it's hard to see how subterfuge against the conclave helps very much, but then I am not a particularly crafty individual.

Good luck breaking out!
purporc
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby 9Jack9 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 am

Excellent, thanks to both of you.
9Jack9
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby Sord » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:22 pm

You didn't ask, but somewhat related and rather important is that a vendetta does not end until the end of turn stuff happens (after phase 6), even if you complete your objective earlier.

Example: If your objective is capture 1 place of power and you do that with your first order in phase 1, you can still capture a second place of power in phase 2, attack their legion in phase 3, and occupy one of their cantons in phase 4. Of course, they can do the same.
si.battlespot.com - the wiki for Solium Infernum
Sord
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby 9Jack9 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:19 am

One further question, gentlemen. How does declaring blood feud work? Say that I complete my third successful vendetta against an opponent. Will the menu notification that informs me of my victory also present me the option of immediately declaring blood feud -- therefore affording me the option to immediately take out my opponent's stronghold if I'm in range? Or will Blood Feud simply be an option in the Make Diplomatic Effort menu, therefore requiring me to spend a turn on an order to declare (and consequently notifying my opponent of my intentions)?

I haven't gone as far as blood feud in previous games, and I'm worried about the technical limitations of the game -- that the turn system will prevent me from immediately continuing my aggression from vendetta to blood feud.
9Jack9
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:50 am

Re: Some questions on vendettas and legion combat

Postby Matchstickman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:47 pm

9Jack9 wrote:One further question, gentlemen. How does declaring blood feud work? Say that I complete my third successful vendetta against an opponent. Will the menu notification that informs me of my victory also present me the option of immediately declaring blood feud -- therefore affording me the option to immediately take out my opponent's stronghold if I'm in range? Or will Blood Feud simply be an option in the Make Diplomatic Effort menu, therefore requiring me to spend a turn on an order to declare (and consequently notifying my opponent of my intentions)?

Yep, it's an order and a bunch of Prestige (not sure on what adjusts the cost of the 'demand'). Captured strongholds act like PoPs, with plus 2 or 3 prestige per turn, a nice little bonus for knocking someone out of the running.
Matchstickman
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:48 am
Location: Centre of the Wastes (London)


Return to The Strategikon of Bezel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron