You suck -- now what?

Post your Tips, Tricks and Hints on how to advance your House's claim on the Infernal Throne

You suck -- now what?

Postby Dinger » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

I was reflecting on a current PBEM game where an archfiend has managed to make a series of boneheaded moves in the first fifteen turns, losing the PoP he capped, two legions, and two praetors. Now, this guy could be playing Kingmaker, but if so, he's taken his dive way too early, and backed the wrong horse.

So I was thinking: many newish players in PBEM games are going to get their asses handed to them because they didn't quite grasp some part of the rules, or failed to understand how the core mechanics work. It's happened to almost all of us at some point. Getting your butt handed to you early in a match is quite disconcerting, and may encourage you to quit. But in SI, nothing is ever lost for good, so here are some tips to turning things around:

A. Go to ground. Your neighboring archfiends are fully aware that you're weak, and they'll come knocking. But your zero prestige means your neighbors have a bunch, and so other fiends will be gunning for them. Collect tribute and try to stay out of trouble. Build up your charisma and your stats -- get those extra order slots. In one game, I screwed up and got wiped early. By the eighth token, I had 5 orders and a +11 tribute roll. Unfortunately, it was a ten-token game (other rule: don't play short games), but I still finished fairly well.

B. Shift tactics. Got busted in the military game? Work on building up deceit, and start stealing. Odds are it'll take the other archfiends a while before they suspect you. Build your intellect up so that you can pick from 2 event cards. Events are underrated.

C. Play against the AI or in hotseat. The next time you want to try something complicated, like a Praetor battle or a multi-unit legion engagement, set up an offline game and study what happens. Use savegame and try different things from the same spot. You'll still get burned by unknown mechanics and the occasional documentary amphibology, but you'll have a better idea how things will work.
Dinger

Re: You suck -- now what?

Postby vasiln » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 am

I've noticed that people who don't shift tactics when the situation demands it don't do well. Then they get discouraged.

You've really got to capitalize on the opportunities provided you in this game. If you had a good praetor, and then you lost him, the game is not over. Don't devote all your energy to making an even-better praetor. Maybe it's time to start planning your military smackdown.
vasiln

Postby sendorange » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Working with other players to either cripple or wipe out the more powerful players is also good.
sendorange

Postby Dreamteam » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Dinger wrote:A. Go to ground. Your neighboring archfiends are fully aware that you're weak, and they'll come knocking. But your zero prestige means your neighbors have a bunch, and so other fiends will be gunning for them. Collect tribute and try to stay out of trouble. Build up your charisma and your stats -- get those extra order slots. In one game, I screwed up and got wiped early. By the eighth token, I had 5 orders and a +11 tribute roll. Unfortunately, it was a ten-token game (other rule: don't play short games), but I still finished fairly well.

Part of going to ground is to quickly and innexpensively shore up your vulnerable position, so you don't find yourself getting spammed with tribute demands from aggressive neighbors. Placing two mediocre legions next to a PoP or your own Stronghold so that they mutually support one another is a very good start at patching together a defense as you buy time to build up your economy.
Dreamteam

Return to The Strategikon of Bezel