Taking Hell with Storm-How to be King in less then Ten Turns

Regale your fellow pretenders with your tales of deceit, domination and despair as you sought the Infernal Throne

Taking Hell with Storm-How to be King in less then Ten Turns

Postby Hamram » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:19 am

Voila, victory on turn ten:

How did it happen?
My starting army was lucky enough to begin adjacent to the Pandemonium and I capitalized on it.

I managed to take the city without hiring additional legions due to the Siege Engine, which was available among the starting artifacts.
The Beast was also for hire, so I would have been delayed a turn or two at most if the engine hadn't been there. The combat card I used for the battle was melee +3 & -4.

And here, the new ruler of hell and his royal army:
Last edited by Hamram on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hamram

Re: Taking Hell with Storm-How to be King in less then Ten Turns

Postby twentyeighth » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:25 am

That's darned impressive.
twentyeighth

Postby Lanster » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:40 pm

And very lucky that you are a wrath archfiend. Just wondering if this can be achieved (starting position close to Pandemonium) by other archfiend types such as those focusing on deceit, destruction etc.
Lanster

Postby MisterStone » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 pm

I did almost the same thing, with a very different build. My archfiend had high CHA and lower points in other stats. I can't remember what his perks were since they didn't play a big part IIRC. Oh, right, I had Infernal Warlord, which was not necessary for the win.

So basically I started out with just one square separating me from my stronghold. I grabbed a bunch of tribute early on in the game using high CHA. Early on, the Sons of Typhon (10 10 0, 14 HP, require 2 HF per term upkeep) appeared in the bazaar. Also Hageenti was available and the Throne of Skulls (?), which triples all bonuses a praetor bestows on his legion.

So I quickly bought the Sons of Typhon. Also, Gorgons (10 0 9, 8 HP[?], require 2 darkness per term upkeep) appeared in the bazaar so I bought them too. With Hageenti and the Throne of Darkness, the Sons had a 25 melee stat, and together with support from the gorgon troop they bulldozed right over Pandemonium. I think I totalled 20 or 25 rounds, but if I had been more decisive early on I could have probably done it in 20 or less. This strategy worked for my guy because he was a CHA hooer and was good at getting lots of tribute to buy the mercenary legions and pay for their upkeep.

Of course once I had Pandemonium the AI was at a total loss to do much of anything, since it was only like 20 turns or less into the game and they always seem to be really slow to get off the ground.

Vic, if you read this, might I suggest changing map gen so that Pandemonium is at least two or more hexes away from each stronghold? As it was, I could reinforce BOTH my stronghold and Pandemonium at the same time by putting a legion between them. If I had not had my troops so close to my stronghold after bagging pandemonium someone could have easily just bum rushed by stronghold and taken it over.
MisterStone

Postby Hamram » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:15 am

MisterStone wrote:I did almost the same thing, with a very different build. My archfiend had high CHA and lower points in other stats. I can't remember what his perks were since they didn't play a big part IIRC. Oh, right, I had Infernal Warlord, which was not necessary for the win.

Vic, if you read this, might I suggest changing map gen so that Pandemonium is at least two or more hexes away from each stronghold? As it was, I could reinforce BOTH my stronghold and Pandemonium at the same time by putting a legion between them. If I had not had my troops so close to my stronghold after bagging pandemonium someone could have easily just bum rushed by stronghold and taken it over.

I think that's a reasonable suggestion, though taking pandemonioum in about 20 turns seems rather acceptable - at least the enemy has the chance to make a proper army by then.

Lanster wrote:And very lucky that you are a wrath archfiend. Just wondering if this can be achieved (starting position close to Pandemonium) by other archfiend types such as those focusing on deceit, destruction etc.
Having a strong starting army is the most important factor,so having a high enough rank and some luck any setup should be able to do it.
For instance, I never got any secondary attribute on my legion.

I don't think destruction or prophecy would be of any help. Deceit has the Combat Deception ritual. It has great potential but pretty much requires Prince of Lies to be very useful as Pandemonium is level 8.
Hamram

Postby vasiln » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I've done similar things, although usually my plan is to take out the enemy before taking Pandemonium.

Sadly, the AI is really poorly suited to dealing with this. I've rushed the enemy strongholds with only my starting legion. Rather than attacking Pandemonium directly, I find it easiest to use a deception or wickedness ritual on it.

It's not hard to get a starting legion with good enough stats to take out enemy strongholds. The rest is gravy: Fiendish Energy makes it quicker, but isn't strictly necessary. Rather than going after your stronghold, the AI tends to focus on defense, even when its hopeless, even when it's down to a single AI.
vasiln

Postby Hamram » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:22 pm

One of the points that made this approach scary is that it really can't be countered.

I had one other archfiend bordering my territory, but his army was poor enough that he couldn't really do anything against me. With him having all adjacent cantons, other fiends couldn't reach me.

I guess far off enemies could have hit me with rituals, though nobody ever did.
Hamram

Return to Powers and Dominions