Cannot claim cantons during vendetta

Report a bug or technical problem here

Cannot claim cantons during vendetta

Postby Eseth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Today in a single player vs bots game I experienced what is probably a bug. Or I don't know something. By the way, this thing occurs to me for the second time playing this game but back then I thought it won't happen again and was just lazy to ask anyone anything.

So I was in a vendetta against a PC. I have beforehand placed my units near the borders of his territory so that I would be ready to capture his cantons after declaring vendetta after he refuses my demand for tribute cards. I chose to capture 6 cantons, I was given 4 turns to do so. I had quite quick units, one had movement speed of 4, other of 3, one of 2. And in my turn I ordered them to go into opponent's territory. In one move I would have conquered 5 cantons, unless I would encounter an enemy legion that would stop me from continuing. But that wasn't even the case!! After the turn has ended, my legions were standing inside enemy's territory. None of the cantons I walked through where red to notice they belong to me. My units were standing on cantons, that still belonged to Berith, my CPU opponent. And it said I captured 0 cantons. I tried to walk around some more other few turns. Same story. It's as if game does not acknowledge my legions are conquering enemy's cantons. They still belonged to him.

And when Vendetta's timer ended, 3 of my units were teleported back to my territory, because they were standing in Berith's territory when the turn has ended. And I failed my Vendetta, because I captured zero out of six cantons. I'm still a bit pissed.

Of course, it's bad of me that I have not captured a screenshot or two.. Next time this happens I will surely provide screenshots.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it known? I'm using 1.08c version.

Help will be appreciated.
Eseth

Re: Cannot claim cantons during vendetta

Postby Sord » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 pm

To capture a canton controlled by an opponent, the canton must both be adjacent to a canton you already control and you must have a legion in the canton at the end of of the turn. For vendetta purposes, that basically mean you can only capture one canton per legion per turn.

Uncontrolled cantons can be captured just by passing through them (which is what you learn first and get lots of practice doing, so get confused when the vendetta starts). I also believe that if a player is excommunicated, cantons can be captured by or from them as if they were uncontrolled.

Thing that do work:
1) Capturing a place of power always gives control of the canton, so your legion next to it can capture its canton too.
2) Touching a neutral canton next to an opponent hex gives you control of it before the controlled canton check, so you can get both the neutral hex and the opponent's.
3) Chaining legions to capture multiple cantons in a single turn will work fine as long as one of them is next to a canton you control.
si.battlespot.com - the wiki for Solium Infernum
Sord

Postby Eseth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:40 pm

This makes sense... But I'm pretty sure I remember times when my unit captured more than one canton in a turn, during vendetta. I guess that's because they were both adjacent to my borders?
Eseth

Postby Eseth » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:04 pm

I just checked it and it looks like Sord is absolutely correct. Thank you for informing me!
Eseth

Return to The Vault of Failure