multiple instances stopped working at 1.08b

Report a bug or technical problem here

multiple instances stopped working at 1.08b

Postby purporc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:18 am

For multiplayer, I like to have the last few turns open in separate SI instances, so I can compare quickly what has happened between turns.

Since applying 1.08b when opening the second instance, I get a Director Player error:

Unable to open file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Comet\Solium Infernum Rectification\MainIFace.cxt" because it is already open with write permission by another user.

The only button is 'OK', and that instance exits. Is it just me?
purporc

Re: multiple instances stopped working at 1.08b

Postby Vic Davis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:00 am

I always get this error but I assumed it was because I was always running the authoring tools. I'll check it out with just the executable. I haven't changed anything in 1.08b besides the scripts so I'd be surprised if the new files were the cause. Is it possible something changed with your Windows? Maybe a recent update?
Vic Davis
Site Admin

Re: multiple instances stopped working at 1.08b

Postby purporc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 am

Aha, simple explanation in the end. I messed up the security permissions by extracting the update into the folder with my zip program. In Explorer there was a little padlock overlay icon on MainIFace.cxt which indicated something. Corrected it by reapplying the game folder security permissions to all subfolders and files.

Discovered that it was likely a permissions problem when a copied 1.08b worked perfectly well, but the renamed original did not.

Thank you Vic!

By the way, I have been meaning to ask if there is (or could easily be added) a command line option to open SI specifying the multiplayer game name, so that I drop directly onto the map? https://github.com/PURPORC/SIMPER/issues/3 That would facilitate scripting the multiplayer administration.
purporc

Return to The Vault of Failure