Free for all game (full)

Start and discuss your multi player games here. Caution: only game with those you trust. Cryptic Comet is not responsible for any email or personal information that you exchange here.

Free for all game (full)

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm

This is another odd-ball game idea. Feel free to tell me if you think it's uninteresting or that my ruleset needs work.

The rules are as follows: for the first 30 turns (or maybe 20 or 25... depends on the feedback I receive) it's a standard no excomm game. Players are free to demand, conquer POPs, etc. Although as we'll see, there isn't much reason to do so. Because on turn 31 (or 21 or 25), every player nukes Pandamonium at once. This puts the game into a free-for-all elimination mode, at which point we all fight to the death with whatever resources we acquired thus far.

General Game information
Game Name: February Frolicking
Map: Lake of Fire
Map Size: Medium
Places of Power: Common

Game Length: Long (but it doesn't really matter)

Turn Deadline: 24 hours

Census: Off (irrelevant)
Expansion: On

1. Frothy Mikhael
2. Flat
3. Rab
4. Gui
5. Shai
6.Heliocentricity
Last edited by Frothy_mikhael on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frothy_mikhael

Re: Free for all game

Postby guigui47 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm

you can count on me!
gui.leblanc@gmail.com
guigui47

Postby guigui47 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Breaking news !!

[20:23] <enc> there are 2 mikes games in the cryptic comet forums
[20:23] <enc> waiting for players
[20:23] <enc> at least mikes games go fast :O
[20:23] <rabican> yeah but i lost my forum password accoutn shit and shit
[20:23] <rabican> sign me up for those :O
[20:24] <enc> okay
[20:24] <enc> but there are weird special rules
[20:24] <enc> one is no pops game
[20:24] <enc> other is everyone must excomm on turn 30
[20:25] <enc> still better than playing a game with cu and zak tho
[20:26] <rabican> seems intersting
[20:26] <rabican> yeah you can add me and shit
[20:26] <enc> okok
[20:26] <enc> I'm not your personal secretary
[20:26] <enc> I'm just a nice guy
guigui47

Postby Shai » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:32 pm

After much deliberation I shall play in this one too!
Shai

Re: Free for all game (full)

Postby Rokahef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

I had this exact same idea a while back, but never got a chance to put it into motion.
How did it go? Was it fun? Or is it still in progress?
Rokahef

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 am

Still in progress, and I'll likely be the first one to die when the excomm happens. I lost two legions in a very silly vendetta when someone called my bluff/refusal of tribute. It's going to be fascinating to see what happens on turn 30 though.
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:02 am

Others may want to chime in with their perspective, but here's the AAR thus-far.

The initial part of the game was surprisingly similar to a regular SI game - some players rampaged around taking POPs (and thus levelling up their starting legions) while others camped out without doing much. There was very little diplomacy though. Just a few of the seemingly-stronger players shaking down the seemingly-weaker ones for tribute. I got humiliated in a vendetta with another player when I refused to fork over said tribute.

As the designated excommunication turn approached, there was a surprise: one player excommed two turns early! He also played a no rituals event to protect himself from massive nuking by the rest of the player base. Despite this, I don't think his strategy really paid off, since his two main legions never left his borders, and he didn't eliminate anyone during those crucial two turns.

The lead up to excomm saw a frenzy of bazaar bidding, and I was outbid on about half of the things I bid on, leaving me with precious little in the way of legions, and a lot of wasted turn slots. Most players focussed on maxing out their legion count, although a few picked up artifacts and praetors too.

By this point some fiends had six legions, most 4 or 5. Me and one other fiend 2. And 4+ legions means pretty high wrath attributes. Indeed, at least two fiends had access to the juggernaut ritual and they've started rampaging around the map eliminating players. I was an early loss to one of them. But interestingly, some of the starting legions are almost as powerful as a Jugger'd legion, so we'll see how those combats go. Around 3 legoins have disappeared without obvious combat, so destruction rituals are also proving popular.

We're now 2 turns into the excomm portion of the game and most people are playing conservatively, with a belt of legions around their stronghold, and the stronghold decked out with praetors and combat cards. Someone managed to get a stronghold with 8/8/12 stats and 23 hp, so either (1) its stats are displaying the effects of the two high-level combat cards on it; or (2) you can juggernaut strongholds. Only time will tell which one it is.
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Flatline » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:48 am

Frothy_mikhael wrote:Others may want to chime in with their perspective, but here's the AAR thus-far.

The initial part of the game was surprisingly similar to a regular SI game - some players rampaged around taking POPs (and thus levelling up their starting legions) while others camped out without doing much. There was very little diplomacy though. Just a few of the seemingly-stronger players shaking down the seemingly-weaker ones for tribute. I got humiliated in a vendetta with another player when I refused to fork over said tribute.

As the designated excommunication turn approached, there was a surprise: one player excommed two turns early! He also played a no rituals event to protect himself from massive nuking by the rest of the player base. Despite this, I don't think his strategy really paid off, since his two main legions never left his borders, and he didn't eliminate anyone during those crucial two turns.

The lead up to excomm saw a frenzy of bazaar bidding, and I was outbid on about half of the things I bid on, leaving me with precious little in the way of legions, and a lot of wasted turn slots. Most players focussed on maxing out their legion count, although a few picked up artifacts and praetors too.

By this point some fiends had six legions, most 4 or 5. Me and one other fiend 2. And 4+ legions means pretty high wrath attributes. Indeed, at least two fiends had access to the juggernaut ritual and they've started rampaging around the map eliminating players. I was an early loss to one of them. But interestingly, some of the starting legions are almost as powerful as a Jugger'd legion, so we'll see how those combats go. Around 3 legoins have disappeared without obvious combat, so destruction rituals are also proving popular.

We're now 2 turns into the excomm portion of the game and most people are playing conservatively, with a belt of legions around their stronghold, and the stronghold decked out with praetors and combat cards. Someone managed to get a stronghold with 8/8/12 stats and 23 hp, so either (1) its stats are displaying the effects of the two high-level combat cards on it; or (2) you can juggernaut strongholds. Only time will tell which one it is.

Err i'll chime in with a few thoughts may go into detail more later on because it's been kind of interesting game actually.

(1) Most people i think tried to fasttrack to martial 6 for infernal juggernaut when excom happens. Juggernaughts are probably the best way to actually eliminate other players. Expensive to get there.
(2) Majority of people took an avatar/build to give them a strong starter legion. Most people who did this went around taking pops early for the sole purpose of leveling up their starter legions preparing for excom. (Kinda smart since bazaar legions dont come back if killed, starter legions do. A strong level 6+ starter legion when everybody excoms is good since it's more resistant to rituals/afflictions for starters.
(3) Most people took lord rank since no use for diplomacy........ This is good and bad. Lord gives you more avatar points but it seems that if your starter legion dies the amount of time it takes to reconstitute is directly tied to your infernal rank. I am lord rank and when my starter legion got fissured it took literally like 7 turns to reconstitute (which is FOREVER). If i was prince rank my starter might have come back in 2-3 turns instead of like 7 or 8.
(4) The other downside to lord rank is you have a stronghold with only 1 slot for a single cc.....While if you take prince your stronghold will have 3 slots for cc's if you so desire. I have mixed thoughts on whether lord or prince is a better choice to take in a game wit these rules.
(5) If you dont buy legions early and you all excom on turn 30 expect the last 4-5 turns before excom to have lots of wasted orders every turn trying to bid on legions (mostly) every turn when you also have 3-4 other fiends bidding on the same legions, so you either get lucky and nobody else bids on the legion you do or you have to overbid high on everything to avoid wasted orders.

Also, the guy who's stronghold has 22hp and good stats is the guy who took prince (therefore already getting a decent stronghold). Also he bought adamantium guard early in the game and used them to reinforce his stronghold (hence 22hp and good stats). I never noticed in game that he did this until i realized at some point his stronghold had uber stats. You can't jug strongholds and cc bonuses dont show up. His stronghold has uber stats because he took prince rank and reinforced it with adamantium guard.
Flatline

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the clarification re strongholds! And now for more updates:

Guy Georges, the fiend who eliminated me, has used his juggernaut legion to take the palace on the lake of fire, giving him +1 order per turn. However, another fiend has snuck a juggernauted legion within striking distance of his stronghold. Next turn may be his last, since his stronghold is currently defended only by two weak (and unbuffed) legions.

Another fiend was eliminated when someone dropped a juggernauted Darkwing legion on his stronghold. I saw this coming frankly, since that fiend only had two legions total, albeit powerful ones.

That leaves two fiends who are still camping their own stronholds with 4-5 legions, although both seem to have lost a legion or two to rituals. Interestingly, one of them took master archer and has decent wrath stats, so even his unbuffed legions are pretty fierce.

That's our update for now. Stay tuned to the 2013 Oddbal Free-for-all!
Frothy_mikhael

Postby Frothy_mikhael » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:09 am

Another update. We're now on Turn 35. The excomm was supposed to happen on turn 30, but was delayed to turn 31 because of a ritual-banning event.

Remember the juggernaut legion lurking one turn from a certain fiend's stronghold? Well, that legion too the stronghold, eliminating another fiend. And just in time too, since it's jugger expired and it went down to 0/0/0. We're now down to three.

It's now quite intriguing. Remember the camping fiends, the ones with 4/5 legions around their strongholds? They're the only ones left alive. And funnily enough, they're all actually quite close to each other on the map. Maybe 4 hexes separate their strongholds from each other.

One of those three fiends has camped a very impressive legion within striking distance of the other two. It's 22/18/7 18 hp (un juggernauted!!) due to telemachus, throne of skulls, vadrasani carpet, plus the Master Archer perk with 5 or 6 wrath. On top of that, it's got a combat card, presumably a level 5-6 one. It will be very interesting to see which way it jumps. My best guess is that it will avoid the 23 hp stronghold, since that would be a very tough nut to crack, and instead will go for the weaker stronghold, which is "only" 14/10/13 (including neighbouring legion buffs) and 7 hp. Although that stronghold also has two combat cards (again, probably max level) and a combat-card blocking praetor.
Frothy_mikhael

Next

Return to The Grand Infernal Games