Solium Infernum Wish List

Re: Solium Infernum Wish List

Postby devster » Sat May 15, 2010 1:13 am

I wouldn't mind if there was an option to have game name appended to your .trn file. I had two games going with the same host, and they were getting a bit confused when both were coming in as devster.trn. I think I saw this listed before in this thread.

The "Diplomacy" screen has two vastly different screens, the "Relations" screen and the "Objectives" screen. Would it be possible to have a "Scriptorium" (or whatever) sub-screen on the "Orders" screen? This could take the same format/layout as the objectives screen, but simply list the many manuscripts along the left and provide their details on the right beneath the portrait. The Portrait could be static, or could be the finished manuscript, or a representative part; doesn't matter. But the text is already out there from the Bazaar to describe them, as are at least some kind of image. It could even list all the parts individually (again, like the Bazaar), if it is easier.

Arrows for order, uh, order adjustment. Similar to the "Adjust Threats" screen, have those same arrows pointing right & left beneath each order's graphic. Click right to swap an order with the one to it's right, click left to... well, you know.

An event for "New Proprietorship". The previous owner(s) of the Bazaar left under the cover of darkness, leaving few remnants behind. Swiftly the vacuum was filled, and the Bazaar has reopened. The available items within the Bazaar have changed. (basically the card reshuffles what's in the bazaar in all areas). Apologies in advance for the horrid names, but could also introduce lower cost event cards for things like "Slavemongers at the Bazaar" (Praetor list shuffled), "Art Thieves" (Relics list), "flooded storage" (manuscripts), etc.

Hall of Heretics (hall of fame seemed to nice). Accessible off the main menu, one scoreboard for each victory type (prestige count, win by taking pandemonium (listing turn count instead of prestige), etc).

A UI option toggle for shaded territories. It doesn't have to be overpowering, just a film overtop that's in a really washed out color; like a really old black and white photo that's been tinted to give it color but that ends up making it look MORE unnatural.
Don't feed the trolls.
devster

Postby Mollarom » Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 pm

I really like the "shuffle the stuff at the bazaar" idea!
Mollarom

Postby Peyolt666 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Yeah shuffling the bazar is a great game idea, which could bring more life to Solium Infernum i was also thinking about a way to invite a player to become a blood vassal, recently i tried to play as a blood vassal, Sitri was my blood lord on an epic game but i finished by attacking the pandemonium by myself as the game was getting really boring nothing happened as if the AI couldn't understand he was in a good position to attack others. The contrary protocol should exist i think, asking another player if he wants to be your blood vassal could be exciting: even if you are winning and want to crush your enemies in a hellish partnership you know that there is a risk your comrade has the power behind the throne perk, well i would love to play that way as a good Blood lord or Blood vasal. For my part i think this is the only real aspect which you designed Victor that doesn't work in your game. You had this great idea about lords and vassals inspired by european medieval society but the AI programming makes this aspect of the game useless even with patch 1.06. I understand it is not easy for you working alone on your game it requires so much time and energy but i am sure there's a lot of people willing to help, many say turn based strategy games are not interesting people anymore, your games proove the contrary with Solium I and Armageddon E i realized how much could be done in this area of game design. I wish you all the best for the future of Cryptic Comet and wait with excitement for the add- on.
Peyolt666

Postby Sen » Mon May 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Simplifying the Threat List to a Choose Your Current Hated Enemy with action costs against everyone else being not too high either.
Sen

Postby devster » Tue May 18, 2010 2:17 am

Floating early game resources. This one seems simple enough to me, but I'm not sure I can explain it well - also, it may be horribly unbalanced on smaller maps, or on any map for that matter. I'm thinking either some form of daemonic caravan (those ichor vats are going somewhere, right?) or a "soulstorm" or resource appropriate thing. In either case, it would be some kind of "thing" that starts the game in an unclaimed canton and could be captured/harvested/whatever by a Legion. The catch being that the thing moves at the conclusion of phase 1, and is temporary, disappearing at some point (turn 5, 2 conclave tokens drawn etc due to a semi-logical reason (reaches it's destination PoP, or dissipates, etc). So one has to guess where it will be in order to attack/harvest it. Doing so nets a little prestige, a little resources, something like that - enough to make it worthwhile, but hopefully not enough to give anyone a too big a jump start.

Society Of Infernal Alchemists. You can trade in X resources and/or Prestige to convert to another resource. A sort of alchemy, but a practice that even daemons look down upon (thus the prestige loss - jeez, if you can't get your minions to bring you the right thing, what kind of archfiend are you). One problem is to make it attractive to use an order slot to convert rather than just to demand more tribute, something that becomes harder as the Charisma goes up. Perhaps it's a one time event card, rather than a peer to the bazaar or a unique place of power.
Don't feed the trolls.
devster

Postby Fuu » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Something that can ruin a person's game is accidentally submitting a turn with some or all empty order slots. How about a mechanism that prompts you when you click end turn to ask if you want to proceed when orders are empty? It could be a "yes/no" prompt rather than an "ok" prompt so that you don't just click through it without noticing you've made an error.
Fuu

Postby dmjifn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 am

1) Take advantage of multi-core CPUs.
Nothing crazy, I mean the AI turn planning and the initial game gen, if parallelizable.
There's an article on this in the Adobe Flex Jounal, online (free) from Aug 2005.

2) A simple command line interface
Mostly I'm interested in being able to process turns from a script, without firing up the GUI.

3) Aggressively fix the remaining script errors.
My single player game ends are roughly 40% script error, 40% normal end, 15% bored, <5% game just stops processing.
The script errors usually happen if I've switched between windows and SI's been up a while - then I'll click on the map and it'll blow. Not reproducible.
The stop-processing happens sometimes when the AI is planning its turn. The CPU goes to idle and SI just sits there playing music indefinitely.
If you put in a trace log or something, I'd be happy to email it to you.
dmjifn

Postby Fuu » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:56 am

dmjifn wrote:3) Aggressively fix the remaining script errors.
My single player game ends are roughly 40% script error, 40% normal end, 15% bored, <5% game just stops processing.
The script errors usually happen if I've switched between windows and SI's been up a while - then I'll click on the map and it'll blow. Not reproducible.

My experience is that the script error you describe comes from switching to the SI window and clicking on a legion before anything else. I've reproduced this error - give it a try, and if you make sure to click somewhere in the open plains when you first switch to the SI window, I reckon you won't see that script error again.
Fuu

Postby dmjifn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:26 pm

Fuu wrote:My experience is that the script error you describe comes from switching to the SI window and clicking on a legion before anything else. I've reproduced this error - give it a try, and if you make sure to click somewhere in the open plains when you first switch to the SI window, I reckon you won't see that script error again.

Yeah, this is one of them. And it can be a legion or POP.
Occassionally, though, it *seems* to do it on an empty canton or a ministerium screen.
It's really hard to tell because I'll often just do a very rapid alt-tab-and-click and the box comes up before I can see exactly where my cursor was.
I just figured having SI log it out would be the easiest way to tell for sure.
dmjifn

Postby frost_maze » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Just a little niggle, really, but how about doing something about Ten Thousand Screaming Bastards' text box? Their most defining feature, 3 movement, is cut off simply because their name is too long. :P

(Of course, you could click on it to read its stats and description, but it would probably be a good idea to make it visible in the hover-over box as well...)
frost_maze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion