Solium Infernum Mod: War of Kings (New Stuff)

Solium Infernum Mod: War of Kings (New Stuff)

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:33 pm

War of Kings

Edit: I haven't tested the *full* changes as they exist in the installer, though I have tested adding new stuff in a smaller manner. So if anyone has any problems, please report them and I will see what I can do. Thanks!

Note: The installer does not contain the full files. It merely contains the patch data with the new content. Thus, you will need the full version of the game for the mod to work!

Also please note that the installer will create a folder called Backup with unmodified versions of all of the files it patches!

Where: Here are the links for the Avatar creator and the mod.

If you downloaded any installer other than the one below named WarOfKings1.1.4.exe, please redownload.

Avatar Creator: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SFGEM1L2

Updated 1.1.4 Installer! War of Kings Mod: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T81N5XRC

What Is It: So, after a few days of tinkering I have figured out how to add new stuffs (the hard part was getting the images) to SI. So I went ahead and added some new stuff (10 legions, and 6 praetors) to the game (so, the 16 new images and the altered text files basically). Most of the images are from things like Magic the Gathering, and are copyright of their respective owners etc etc.

More Info: So the reason I'm calling this "War of Kings" is that it is primarily useful in conjunction with a small utility I built that allows you to change the amount of points you get for an Avatar. The idea being that you have everyone set up powerful (>30 point) archfiends and play a "War of Kings" where everyone is a heavy hitter, right from the get go. Preferably in an Epic length game. Because of this, the flavor of the new legions and praetors and their stats tie into this idea. I have tried to add some balance to it but the stuff in this pack is definitely above the normal power level. It also costs a lot more. So you'll probably want to go in and use my Avatar Creator to create yourself a nice 40-60 point archfiend if you're going to use this pack.

P.S.: I had initially planned to add new avatar pictures, but unfortunately the way they are set up the game doesn't know if you have added any more or not (and tinkering around in my hex editor failed to find where the count of them is defined...). Vic, if you could change the avatar icon set up to use a picture identifier like the legions/praetors and such do, that would be very cool. However, one thing I can do is make a replacement patch that gives you alternate avatar pictures (will overwrite the old ones, so you'd need to back up, and in multiplayer you'd have to have everyone get and install the pack in order to see them). I don't think this is the best idea (I'd rather add new stuff) as it'd be a nightmare to keep track of, and it would be much cooler to just have new avatar icons added instead of replacing the current ones.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternate Use

If you don't like the idea of having a bunch of heavy hitter archfiends with new legions/praetors to support that, you can alternatively just alter or create your own stats in the appropriate files (a smaller tutorial/helper bit is below).

Praetors
GameData\LPARObjects\praetor.txt
In this file you will first want to increment the first line "Num: [xx]" by however many new Praetors you are making. By default the number is 29. Then you will want to copy one of the regular entries and increment the numbers accordingly (so the first line of a praetor entry goes 'x: ["Px"]' where x is the number of the entry. With this pack you will now be able to use the pictures in the list below in the "pic:" field for praetor entries. Just modify to taste, select a pic you like and create your own praetor!

GameData\KeyData\PraetorDesc.txt
You will need to add an entry for your new praetor of the form "Desc_Px: some text for your new praetor goes here" where x is the number you entered in the praetor.txt file as described above.

GameData\DataLists\praetor.txt
Just match up the list with the list of Pxx names from the other praetor.txt file. Also update the count.

Legions
GameData\LPARObjects\legion.txt
This is essentially the same deal as the praetor.txt editing above, except that the picture names identified in the Pic List instead go into the "PicID:" field. There is nothing preventing you from using the praetor pics as legion pics or vice versa. I just picked whatever ones I thought were appropriate for either type. (Don't forget to the edit the Num: field!)

GameData\KeyData\LegionDesc.txt
The legion descriptions are basically the same as the praetor descriptions, except they take the form "Desc_xyz: some text for your legion" where xyz = the name of your legion you entered as described above.

GameData\DataLists\LegionIDs.txt
You'll need to edit the count at the top, then just match up the list to whatever names you added in legion.txt.

Pic List (the name below each pic is its identifier for use in the pic fields of the legions/praetors files):

Image Ahroun Image Asdaok Image BloodKnights Image CouncilOG
Image DaemonicC Image HellkiteO Image IgneousR Image Ozrzil
Image Repael Image ScourgeOF Image Ankharlyn Image Arapulh
Image Esrehiun Image Malfegor Image Psaral Image Zunoson
Last edited by ChairGraveyard on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ChairGraveyard

Re: Solium Infernum Mod: War of Kings (New Stuff)

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm

It appears to be working okay.
ChairGraveyard

Postby frost_maze » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:34 pm

This looks... really awesome.

Am I right in assuming that everybody will have to have the same mods if you want to play multiplayer? It could be a bit of a pain, but I suppose it's not exactly the end of the world.

Also, Magic the Gathering in *my* Solium Infernum? AWESOME. :D
(MtG art is amazing, isn't it? ^^ Well, sometimes it's kind of mediocre, but *anyway*...)
frost_maze

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah you'll have to have the same mods to play multiplayer (I'm not sure what will happen if you don't, probably Script Errors).

I was thinking about starting up another thread in which people can just post up what pictures they want for legions, praetors, artifacts and relics (basically all that can be added at this point) and then I'll just make up one giant pack that has it all (but no definition files, so that people can just create the text files necessary to use the new images). Preferably people would post the pics already cropped and resized to 281x251 so I don't have to do it all myself.

Another thread for ideas for new stuff would be good, cause honestly by the time I got done editing the text files I was running out of ideas for stats, and I gave up on trying to come up with really awesome flavor text. So the last few have at most a sentence or two :p

The only reason I didn't add more stuff to this one (namely artifacts and relics) is simply because I couldn't find any pics I was sold on for either, and I wanted to release this as a sort of proof of concept.

Yeah a lot of the MtG art is lame but there's so much that there's still a ton of good stuff. For this one I tried to pick ones that seemed like they wouldn't be too out of place in the game.

Edit: If anyone gets a chance to test this out some, I haven't yet seen any of the legions pop up in the bazaar so I'm not sure if they're working. Confirmation one way or another would be good.

Edit again: Also, if anyone feels like rebalancing the stats or fixing the flavor text on the stuff I put in, I am totally cool with that and am willing to take whatever anyone does and update the mod. I think some of the stuff is definitely unbalanced right now. Though as I mentioned above it's not as bad if everyone is using the Avatar Creator with >30 pt builds (well, I assume, I haven't tested that).
ChairGraveyard

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Update: I made a small mistake in one of the text files (GameData\DataList\LegionIDs.txt *), so the new legions won't be showing up. I am fixing and uploading a new version now.

Edit: It's probably a good idea to get the latest installer anyway, because the old version was using the key file system incorrectly (it will now put in a file called VERSIONDATA.DAT to your SI directory which can be used to invalidate your version easily so the installer won't claim you have the latest version already if you don't).

* - In the mean time, there's an easy fix, which is to go to your Solium Infernum folder then to GameData\DataLists and open LegionIDs.txt. The NumElements: field at the top will say 52, change it to 62. If that's too much work, I will have the new installer up in a minute.
ChairGraveyard

Postby frost_maze » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 pm

I haven't actually gotten round to trying it yet, but I think your idea of having a large collection of art as the download, and letting people mod it for themselves is definitely worth looking into. In addition, maybe a thread for collecting people's mod collections? It would make multi-player easier in that you could specify a mod-pack.

Okay. I've just downloaded and installed, but there don't appear to be any new legions or praetors... In addition, I can't seem to find the backup folder...
Last edited by frost_maze on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frost_maze

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I think I found a rather nasty bug (causes a script error on generation of the Inferno), so I'm updating the version (again). I probably should have waited to put this out till after I had got some sleep this morning. Anyway, later today I'll go ahead and start up a thread for those things. Or if anyone else feels like doing it, feel free. Basically all that's needed for the images are that they're 281x251.
ChairGraveyard

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm

frost_maze wrote:Okay. I've just downloaded and installed, but there don't appear to be any new legions or praetors... In addition, I can't seem to find the backup folder...
Well, there are only 10 praetors and 6 legions that are new, versus the 25 and 52 original ones (respectively 25 praetors and 52 legions), so they don't show up in the bazaar as often as the original ones. If you generate a game with max AIs and start buying out the praetors you'll probably see a new one.

The Backup folder should be in the Solium Infernum install directory. I'm also going to upload a revert patch with the new version I'm uploading now, though (you just run the revert.exe and it will patch SI back to the original install state). The new version seems to have fixed the bug, though it might be because it didn't select any of the new legions to put into the bazaar (I'm not really sure, I'm still testing).
Last edited by ChairGraveyard on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChairGraveyard

Postby frost_maze » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I mean, checking in GameData\LPARObjects\legion.txt didn't show up any new legions... and the same for the other text files too. But in any case, I'll install the latest version and then check again.
frost_maze

Postby ChairGraveyard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Ack! I just realized I screwed up the last couple of installers. I will fix and reupload, one sec.
ChairGraveyard

Next

Return to General Discussion